Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can you have a relationship with somebody without being physically attracted to them?

• 24-07-2012 11:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 276 ✭✭

What do you think?

Is it shallow to think you have to be attracted to your boyfriend/girlfriend/partner/spouse? Or do you think there has to be a certain amount of physical attraction for a relationship to work?

I was just thinking about it earlier when a friend of mine said she has no attraction to her boyfriend at all. I actually don't know what the answer to this is but I'm just curious to hear other people's views!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Yeah, a relationship as friends obviously

Maybe the odd ride or two if ye both were in a 'drought' :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 276 ✭✭MarthaMyDear

kfallon wrote: »
    Yeah, a relationship as friends obviously

Maybe the odd ride or two if ye both were in a 'drought' :D

Haha true :) What about an actual relationship though like seeing each other?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

No way. You have to have some attraction.

Theres been the odd time ive gone out with someone that I havent found physically attractive, but their personality changed my mind. Id go from thinking they werent my type to thinking they're sex on legs!!! Just by them making me laugh!

Yeah, my friend said she's attracted to her boyfriend's personality and humor. I would usually find funny guys really attractive, but is it enough for a long term relationship?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

Yup.

• Advertisement

Haha true :) What about an actual relationship though like seeing each other?

Not sure tbh, I think you can grow to love someone who you weren't initially attracted to but the more you spend time in their company you start to change your mind.

You do hear people say they weren't attracted to their OH initially but over time an attraction grew

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Well, it's a good thing my GF loves me for my money.

*checks wallet*

*moth flies out*

shìt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

What do you think?

Is it shallow to think you have to be attracted to your boyfriend/girlfriend/partner/spouse? Or do you think there has to be a certain amount of physical attraction for a relationship to work?

I was just thinking about it earlier when a friend of mine said she has no attraction to her boyfriend at all. I actually don't know what the answer to this is but I'm just curious to hear other people's views!
    It's clear from her signals that she wants you!

kfallon wrote: »
    Not sure tbh, I think you can grow to love someone who you weren't initially attracted to but the more you spend time in their company you start to change your mind.

You do hear people say they weren't attracted to their OH initially but over time an attraction grew

Yeah I've heard people say that too actually. Well I said something along the lines of that to my friend because she was saying it's starting to bother her and she was asking me was it shallow. They've been going out over a year now. To be honest I don't think they're very intimate anymore so that's why I'm starting to wonder about it.

I'm single at the moment so don't have anything to go by *tear* :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

of course you can, its called marriage:)

• Advertisement

Yeah I've heard people say that too actually. Well I said something along the lines of that to my friend because she was saying it's starting to bother her and she was asking me was it shallow. They've been going out over a year now. To be honest I don't think they're very intimate anymore so that's why I'm starting to wonder about it.

They're fucked, tis all over bar the shouting

You'll find a caring loving affectionate chivalrous man here in AH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

Dear Martha,
    Im not attracted to you any more,your dumped

^^This is a text you got..didnt you Martha?:D

pebbles21 wrote: »
    Dear Martha,

All the repressed memories are coming back to me :eek::eek::eek:

pebbles21 wrote: »
    Dear Martha,

He also sent a picture of his aroused 'appendage' as a memento and to get her thru the tough aftermath......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

What do you think?

if there's no thrust, there's no trust.

simple as.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭deandean

Yes you can but it is gonna be bloody boring

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

No. You'll just be weird friends. Great breeding ground for resentment and loathing if that's you're thing. Of course if that was your thing then it would work. Swings and roundabouts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Quite simply - no.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 307 ✭✭CodyJarrett

Level of attractiveness is one of the last things that humans still discriminate against other people for and yet feel no guilt while they do it. You will often hear people slagging others for being ugly with not so much as a hint of shame as they proclaim that to be the case. Which of course is inferring that they themselves are somehow better for not being as ugly themselves.

Humans are shallow - some of us try and pretend we're not, but we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭OMARS_COMING_

Ive been in this situation the past 18 months so yes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Culleeo

We have to be honest here, some say looks don't matter but you can't fap about personality.

Personally, I think there has to be attraction there. I couldn't imagine being with someone who I wasn't attracted to, yes, maybe a kiss after a few pints but for a relationship, it would be a no go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭johnwest288

syndeyfife wrote: »
    No way. You have to have some attraction.

Theres been the odd time ive gone out with someone that I havent found physically attractive, but their personality changed my mind. Id go from thinking they werent my type to thinking they're sex on legs!!! Just by them making me laugh!

Q: What kind of snack do little monkeys have with their milk?
    A: Chocolate chimp cookies.

;);););););););):o:o:o:o:o:o:o:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Culleeo

Haha, god loves a trier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Ms.M

How brief is the "relationship" and how drunk are ya?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

In a relationship if I'm attracted to someone, I'm attracted to their personality, looks, everything, if something in their personality changes their looks quickly fade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

Physical attraction is definitely a big part of it, so no. Unless you're settling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Hardonraging

This is bad and you should feel bad !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

There has to be an initial reaction. They don't have to be good looking to be attractive though. Some of the sexiest people I've met have been average looking but with great attitudes or sexy laughs or whatever that make them amazingly physically attractive.

My boyfriend is a bit of a ride though :D

of course you can, its called marriage:)

Jaysis, how long are you married again?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Some of the sexiest people I've met have been average looking but with great attitudes or sexy laughs or whatever that make them amazingly physically attractive.

Guess it's the difference between men and women, or maybe it's just me. A woman could be sound and have a great laugh etc but if she's not physically attractive then I'd only ever consider her a friend.

smash wrote: »
    Guess it's the difference between men and women, or maybe it's just me. A woman could be sound and have a great laugh etc but if she's not physically attractive then I'd only ever consider her a friend.

But I think that someone can become physically attractive to you just by other qualities, and vice versa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭eamonnq

I'm fierce funny so I am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

--LOS-- wrote: »
    In a relationship if I'm attracted to someone, I'm attracted to their personality, looks, everything, if something in their personality changes their looks quickly fade.
    This makes sense, I'd be the same.

If the personality /sense of humour isn't there I will never be attracted to a guy. If you go for someone based purely on looks alone shallowness will kick you up the arse time and time again.

It's a bit worrying in the OP's friends case, because if personality doesn't invoke an attraction I can't imagine why she is still with him. It can't be for nice reasons any way.

But I think that someone can become physically attractive to you just by other qualities, and vice versa.

like boobs and stuff? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭conorhal

I'm going to look like a giant gaping vagina for both admitting I've seen the film (let alone admitting to liking it) and being bothered to quote it, but hey, I think it this line from The Truth About Cats and Dogs nicely sums up my feelings on the subject...

"You know how someone's appearance can change the longer you know them? How a really attractive person, if you don't like them, can become more and more ugly; whereas someone you might not have even have noticed... that you wouldn't look at more than once, if you love them, can become the most beautiful thing you've ever seen. All you want to do is be near them."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

What do you think?

That's why alcohol was invented :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

;);););););););):o:o:o:o:o:

I love jokes :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

I don't think I could start a relationship with someone I don't find attractive but if they have a nice personality I could fall for em quickly. Spend enough time with somebody you enjoy spending time with and you'll eventually start looking at them differently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭flutered

it is just taking the friends with benifits/fcuk buddy thing to a higher level

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Conbhar

What do you think?

Defo not. Actually tried that out not so long ago. The girl was really really nice but the more time i spent with her the more i realised i just didnt find her that attractive. Was just better to end it before things got to serious.
    Dont think that makes me shallow in the slightest, just honest!

• Advertisement

St. Jimmy wrote: »
    I don't think I could start a relationship with someone I don't find attractive but if they have a nice personality I could fall for em quickly. Spend enough time with somebody you enjoy spending time with and you'll eventually start looking at them differently.

That's it in a nutshell, well played St Jimmy, the patron Saint of Relationships :D

That was exactly my point! You can have chemistry with someone and fancy the pants off them even if they aren't technically good looking.

So the answer is 'Yes' then!

Why didn't we have a poll for this?

Because it's not really a straight forward yes or no.

Good looking =/= attractive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Good looking =/= attractive.
    That's it in a nut shell tbh.

That was exactly my point! You can have chemistry with someone and fancy the pants off them even if they aren't technically good looking.

Can take a while to get to that point though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭bluecode

I was just thinking about it earlier when a friend of mine said she has no attraction to her boyfriend at all.
    Usually that happens after marriage, the wife loses interest particularly after children. The husband makes an issue of it and the wife wonders what his problem is. Funnily enough there was a letter on the very topic in one of the Sundays last week. She lost interest and cannot understand why poor husband just cannot accept that.

In the case of your friend, if she isn't physically attracted to her boyfriend then the relationship is effectively doomed unless he is happy without a sexual relationship. There has to be some form of physical attraction at some point in the relationship unless both people are in their eighties.

It might be OK after twenty years together but not at the first stage of a relationship.

bluecode wrote: »
    Usually that happens after marriage, the wife loses interest particularly after children. The husband makes an issue of it and the wife wonders what his problem is.

that's one hell of a generalisation...

I don't know, I think for the most part you know within hours if there's chemistry between you and someone else. Course there are the exceptional times where it creeps up on you.

Now if you asked can you have a relationship without chemistry, my answer would be no. Even if they were good looking and a cool person. It's either there or it's not.

Yeah and then both parties can be afraid of losing the other as a friend and they never 'go for broke'. If a relationship fails they worry they'll lose that other person forever so are happy to just stay close friends.

• Advertisement
Advertisement