Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Habits you learned "foreign" and can see yourself using for the rest of your life.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

Kitchen roll. Now I can't imagine how I lived without it.

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    I'm beginning to think most of the boards users these days live in Canada

that's because there is no boards of canada

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

After spending some time in Greece, I just can't stop smashing up the town centre and setting fire to buildings on a night out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I would consider that a German thing, no ? They certainly do it in Germany. They also have the superstition that if you do a toast and if you don't look the people you are toasting in the eye as you clink classes, then you will be cursed with 7 years bad sex!
    Anyhow I tend to look people in the eye when I toast ! :D
    Czechs told me it was a Czech thing.

I'd never seen it done when I'd been out in Germany with my German ex and her friends but then I didn't spend that long in Germany, about two months. And it didn't seem to matter for us 'cause the sex was never bad! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Nobody appreciated it when I came home from Texas and kept spitting out my chewing tobacco!

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭TOOYOUNGTODIE

Stinicker wrote: »
    I say "No Worries" all the time after being in Australia. I also Shower every single day after spending time in South East Asia, wheras you could often get away without showering every 2nd day depending on the level of exercise before.

You sir are a dirty b@stard, you should shower everyday

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

We'd save a lot of water and energy if we didn't. I think in the 70s and 80s even people used to shower or bath about once a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

I went to the UK for university and learned to love 24 hour drinking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Wibbs wrote: »
    :eek: NO waaaaay could I do that. I walk in bare feet a fair bit, I can drive wearing wellies or flip flops, but bare feet. *shudder*

Its nice on a hot day.
    Have the air con set and feel the light breeze on the toes. Not to chilly though, toes don't like that :)
    Long drives, to and from the beach or bottle shop in the summer, no shoes required.
    Even walk to my local shop with no shoes in summer.
    Winter is different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

token101 wrote: »
    I went to the UK for university and learned to love 24 hour drinking.
    You should have said you learned English!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭VEN

After living in Portugal, my diet as far as meat goes is now mostly fish.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I say "No Worries" all the time after being in Australia. I also Shower every single day after spending time in South East Asia, wheras you could often get away without showering every 2nd day depending on the level of exercise before.
    You sir must be illiterate and I suggest you read my post again before calling people names.

smash wrote: »
    You should have said you learned English!

I could have taught English to half of my class. 'No, we are not going t'pub, we are going to the pub'.

Stinicker wrote: »

You sir must illiterate and I suggest you read my post again before calling people names.

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Czechs told me it was a Czech thing.

I'd never seen it done when I'd been out in Germany with my German ex and her friends but then I didn't spend that long in Germany, about two months. And it didn't seem to matter for us 'cause the sex was never bad! :D

Yeah I hear ya. Ya gotta love the Germans - sex is never bad in Germania :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

As a a result of my travels, I learned how to transfix an entire table of friends in the pub for 7 hours with my tales of sleeping rough in various railway stations in Europe in 1987.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭donadoni

Did someone ask for a definition ???! What are you, Google ?

I would consider that a German thing, no ? They certainly do it in Germany. They also have the superstition that if you do a toast and if you don't look the people you are toasting in the eye as you clink classes, then you will be cursed with 7 years bad sex!
    Anyhow I tend to look people in the eye when I toast ! :D

Germany is made up of many very different states, with different cultures. Bavarians have much more in common with Austrians, people from Switzerland or Northern Italians (Suedtirol) than they do with northern Germans, when it comes to culture, habits, food, etc. You could say, that there is nothing truly German when it comes to these things.

I am originally from the Bavarian Forest in Eastern Bavaria, bordering the Czech Republic. We bang the glass on the table too after toasting, but I lived in Munich for more than 15 years and there they wouldn't know what you are at and think you are a weirdo, if you bang your glass on the table.
    So it is probably a "Bohemian thing" to do that, as Bohemia is mainly Czech, but also covers the Bavarian Forest on the German side of the border.
    It's kind of complicated really :)

After working for Germany for a while I got a taste for jagermeister and coke, back when you couldn't find jager anywhere in Ireland. My German co-workers drank it like we might drink a vodka and coke.

Now I see people drinking shots of it, and jager bombs and I just can't do it!! Whenever I ask for a jager and coke in Ireland, I get a shot and a glass of coke! Then follow the weird looks when I pour the jager into the coke. Bloomin delicious I tells ya!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

woodoo wrote: »
    Hold doors open for people and get into queues when i see them. It amazes me the amount of people here that ignore queues.

try queueing in a busy train station in india and you will be waiting until the end of time.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

Eve_Dublin wrote: »
    Was having a nice glass of lemonade and beer tonight otherwise known as a "Clara" here in Spain. I usually drink it when I don't want to get gee-eyed on a work night and make a small can of beer last. I love it...but being Irish, can't believe I'm mixing beer with anything. I used to actively scoff at people putting blackcurrant in their Guinness but now I'm doing something similar! What's happening to me!

They do that in Ireland too. Shandy?
    - I think the queuing system we have in Ireland, UK and America is ridiculous

Huh?

As for where I live now, I don't call the toilet the toilet, I call it the washroom. It's just what it's called here.

Dunno where you are, but I know in the US saying 'the toilet' is considered pretty vulgar.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Sea Filly wrote: »
    Dunno where you are, but I know in the US saying 'the toilet' is considered pretty vulgar.

The restroom they call it in the states, and in Australia they call it the dunny!

stovelid wrote: »
    As a a result of my travels, I learned how to transfix an entire table of friends in the pub for 7 hours with my tales of sleeping rough in various railway stations in Europe in 1987.

That sounds as interesting as being given a four-hour tour of someone's living room. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Real Life

reading this thread has made me anxious about travelling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

I do the no-shoes-in-the-house thing now. I have a Finnish friend I met when I lived in Madrid and he always called me a "British pig" when I went to his and had to be told to take mine off. When I visited him in Finland, he wouldn't let me into his flat 'til I took them off.
    Yeah, that's a big no-no over here for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭30txsbzmcu2k9w

OP your posts are pretty cringy. You live in Barry´s Tea advert version of Spain. Bunch of stereotypical nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Real Life wrote: »
    reading this thread has made me anxious about travelling

Escalator fascists in London sould like the worst of the lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

OP your posts are pretty cringy. You live in Barry´s Tea advert version of Spain. Bunch of stereotypical nonsense.

El Té de Barry is what they call it over there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

Canada - it's considered vulgar here too - which is why I say washroom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

- I gesticulate all the time while I'm talking.
    Ha! Spend two weeks at a time in Italy like I do, and the hands will be goin 90 for the next 6 months. I use Italian hand gestures all the time.

I also find myself to be more aggressive when driving on the motorway after I come back. Italy does that to you. Whether its driving or queuing, 'patience' is not in the Latin vocabulary. In saying that, I love the freedom Italian roads give you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,905 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Rabies wrote: »
    Its nice on a hot day.
    Have the air con set and feel the light breeze on the toes. Not to chilly though, toes don't like that :)
    Long drives, to and from the beach or bottle shop in the summer, no shoes required.
    Even walk to my local shop with no shoes in summer.
    Winter is different.

Same as bro, driving barefoot in summer ftw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Xavi6 wrote: »

Same as bro, driving barefoot in summer ftw.
    Could be wrong, but nearly sure that's illegal in most EU countries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

eth0 wrote: »
    Eating sushi. Tis mighty stuff

I'd eat a whole salmon and not bother cooking it as long as i had some soy sauce and a lemon to squeeaze on it

Squeezing lemon on to your sushi? Never heard of that. Try having it with wasabi instead, mmmmmmm :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

After two years in Canada...

- I say 'please' and 'thank you' at least once per sentence
    - I apologize profusely even if it's not my fault
    - I spell 'apologize' with a Z
    - I pronounce R as 'arrrrr' and H as 'aytch'
    - I swear differently...namely, 'fack!'
    - I eat sushi several times a week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,905 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

grenache wrote: »
    Could be wrong, but nearly sure that's illegal in most EU countries.

Apparently so, I got told off for doing it when I was back last time. Only by the ma though, not the 5-O.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

donadoni wrote: »
    Germany is made up of many very different states, with different cultures. Bavarians have much more in common with Austrians, people from Switzerland or Northern Italians (Suedtirol) than they do with northern Germans, when it comes to culture, habits, food, etc. You could say, that there is nothing truly German when it comes to these things.

I am originally from the Bavarian Forest in Eastern Bavaria, bordering the Czech Republic. We bang the glass on the table too after toasting, but I lived in Munich for more than 15 years and there they wouldn't know what you are at and think you are a weirdo, if you bang your glass on the table.
    So it is probably a "Bohemian thing" to do that, as Bohemia is mainly Czech, but also covers the Bavarian Forest on the German side of the border.
    It's kind of complicated really :)

I don't know why, but I read your post in a German accent :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

They do that in Ireland too. Shandy?

As I already explained in the thread, it's not the drink itself (I'm well aware shandy exists as I'm not a hermit :confused:), it's the frequency and the acceptability of it. I'm talking about habits I've picked up here. Men and women drink it as much as beer on a night out and no one is labelled a "shandy light-weight" for drinking it. It's something most drinkers in Ireland don't drink on a regular basis because it's seen as a "lady's drink" (even though most Irish women could drink most Irish men under the table and most Irish women I know wouldn't be seen dead drinking a shandy) but something they do here very often. I would've never had a shandy/clara while living there but now I do. The idea of putting anything else in my beer filled me with horror, but now it doesn't.

Huh?

Read the thread for the love of GAAAAAAWD!! I despair when I have to explain myself multiple times.

What? You live here too? There's nothing in my original thread that is not done here on a regular basis here. Care to tell me exactly where I stereotyped?

Tell me Crystal Putrid Caribou, what makes you qualified to know any better? Because if you lived here, you'd know everything I said in my OP is correct. Fact. :P

The Irish drink a lot. That's a stereotype, right? Is it incorrect? Nope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

The beauty of the ticketing system is that after you get your ticket, you can relax and even wander around looking at the displays after you sort out your ticket.
    But if you're in a shop won't you have already been wandering around picking up whatever it is you want? What's the point in doing it again? That's boring.

grenache wrote: »
    In saying that, I love the freedom Italian roads give you.

And the attendant elevated risk that goes with that?

• Advertisement

But if you're in a shop won't you have already been wandering around picking up whatever it is you want? What's the point in doing it again? That's boring.

They've a ticket system in places like the Social Security office or the post office or bank (again, they usually have very limited staff working there so you're waiting a while) and the "Who's last?" system in smaller places like shops and smaller banks. You can take a seat, wander over and read a poster that's on the wall, have a look at that interestin selection of Post Its by the till that you missed the first time, step outside for a smoke if you're waiting a while....there's no need to stand in a straight line one after the other. Particularly useful if you're an old or disabled person who can't stand.

beks101 wrote: »
    - I apologize profusely even if it's not my fault

This is a very Irish trait too though. :confused:

As I already explained in the thread, it's not the drink itself (I'm well aware shandy exists as I'm not a hermit :confused:), it's the frequency and the acceptability of it. I'm talking about habits I've picked up here. Men and women drink it as much as beer on a night out and no one is labelled a "shandy light-weight" for drinking it. It's something most drinkers in Ireland don't drink on a regular basis because it's seen as a "lady's drink" (even though most Irish women could drink most Irish men under the table and most Irish women I know wouldn't be seen dead drinking a shandy) but something they do here very often. I would've never had a shandy/clara while living there but now I do. The idea of putting anything else in my beer filled me with horror, but now it doesn't.

Fine.
    Read the thread for the love of GAAAAAAWD!! I despair when I have to explain myself multiple times.

I reacted to your OP. I did read the thread after that. Problem?

Plus, more chance of impulse-buying.

Canadians take the biscuit though with their extreme politeness.

They've a ticket system in places like the Social Security office or the post office or bank

I've been to a fair few places in Ireland that also run this system - government offices, hospitals, some shops (Argos being an obvious example).

I reacted to your OP. I did read the thread after that. Problem?

You did or didn't read the thread?

The problem is, I've already been asked to explain what I meant by 3 posters and I've done it already. Don't want to do it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

I've been to a fair few places in Ireland that also run this system - government offices, hospitals, some shops (Argos being an obvious example).
    My thoughts exactly. A ticketed queuing system is not revolutionary and it is certainly not limited to Spain.

Glad to hear that. Great system.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

All these things are hardly "habits" anyway. You may have acquired a taste for certain foods and drinks, or adopted customs as they are part of the way of life wherever you're living. I've lived abroad for years for different reasons but when it boils down to it I'm still 100% potato eating Paddy as all of you are too, much as you like to think of yourselves as cosmo multicultural super awesome beacons of shining light :D

Advertisement