Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Habits you learned "foreign" and can see yourself using for the rest of your life.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

My thoughts exactly. A ticketed queuing system is not revolutionary and it is certainly not limited to Spain.

I never said any of the things in my original post were "revolutionary" or "limited to Spain". I'm talking about habits I've developed from living elsewhere. Both the "Who's next" and ticket system which would be used with a lot more frequency in Latin countries than Northern countries. Queuing is rare.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

It's occasionally done in Ireland, but here in Korea, scissors are one of the main cooking implements; it's used for cutting almost all meats. Dead handy!!

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    All these things are hardly "habits" anyway. You may have acquired a taste for certain foods and drinks, or adopted customs as they are part of the way of life wherever you're living. I've lived abroad for years for different reasons but when it boils down to it I'm still 100% potato eating Paddy as all of you are too, much as you like to think of yourselves as cosmo multicultural super awesome beacons of shining light :D

I couldn't be anymore Irish. I could reel off a longer list of things I can't adapt to, tbh.

I should've entitled the thread: Things I do differently here to Ireland and then I wouldn't have upset so many people. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭30txsbzmcu2k9w

Eve_Dublin wrote: »
    What? You live here too? There's nothing in my original thread that is not done here on a regular basis here. Care to tell me exactly where I stereotyped?

Tell me drinkmilkkids, what makes you qualified to know any better? Because if you lived here, you'd know everything I said in my OP is correct. Fact. :P

The Irish drink a lot. That's a stereotype, right? Is it incorrect? Nope.

I do live in Spain, I just don´t send a postcard to everyone on here every time a write a post. The "who´s last" thing is really pretty rare, might happen if the ticket machine is broken in a bank on rare occasion. And the ticket machine is hardly a Spanish phenomenon. Neither is a shandy.
    Almost everything you say about Spain is embellished with cliche and stereotype. You protest fairly regularly now? Come on.

I never said any of the things in my original post were "revolutionary" or "limited to Spain". I'm talking about habits I've developed from living elsewhere.
    And the ticket machine is hardly a Spanish phenomenon. Neither is a shandy. .

:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

I couldn't be anymore Irish. I could reel off a longer list of things I can't adapt to, tbh.

I should've entitled the thread: Things I do differently here to Ireland and then I wouldn't have upset so many people. :P

Spanish people - does this mean you sit on the ground all the time outdoors, constantly smoking hash, always sleeping, really careful/tight with money, mixing reflexive verbs into English - I remember taking the p*ss out of a Spanish friend and her retort was "Eat me the p*ssy!!"! Brilliant.
    Oh and buying one drink between a table of you in a bar.

I do live in Spain, I just don´t send a postcard to everyone on here every time a write a post. The "who´s last" thing is really pretty rare, might happen if the ticket machine is broken in a bank on rare occasion. And the ticket machine is hardly a Spanish phenomenon. Neither is a shandy.
    Almost everything you say about Spain is embellished with cliche and stereotype. You protest fairly regularly now? Come on.

It's not in Madrid. It's standard here in most shops.

And I NEVER SAID THE TICKET MACHINE WAS A SPANISH PHENOMENON. I've also spent a year in Latin America where it is frequent.

There's regular protests in Madrid and I go to most of them. Fact.

Edit: My post was light-hearted. Not sure why you're getting so upset and trying to catch me out. I've been here 3 years and this is my experience.:confused: You're coming across unnecessarily confrontational tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

You did or didn't read the thread?

I read your OP, posted, than read the thread, in that order. Not hard to understand, is it? It's natural to have an instantaneous reaction to an OP.
    The problem is, I've already been asked to explain what I meant by 3 posters and I've done it already. Don't want to do it again.

Then don't.

Sea Filly wrote: »
    I read your OP, posted, than read the thread, in that order. Not hard to understand, is it? It's natural to have an instantaneous reaction to an OP.

Then don't.

You sound angry. Why the anger? :confused:

Andy!! wrote: »
    It's occasionally done in Ireland, but here in Korea, scissors are one of the main cooking implements; it's used for cutting almost all meats. Dead handy!!

I have meat scissors. It's not exactly widespread here but a fair few people would use the method.

• Advertisement

You sound angry. Why the anger? :confused:

Um, ok?

Um, ok?

You got banned from a thread in TLL for the same carry on. Snarky, unnecessarily sarcastic posts. End of conversation.

Spanish people - does this mean you sit on the ground all the time outdoors, constantly smoking hash, always sleeping, really careful/tight with money, mixing reflexive verbs into English - I remember taking the p*ss out of a Spanish friend and her retort was "Eat me the p*ssy!!"! Brilliant.
    Oh and buying one drink between a table of you in a bar.

Might've done if I was 10 years younger without a job.

I did tell the doctor last week that I "cum" twice a week instead of run twice a week, mixing up the reflexive verbs though. Find it tricky to get my head round those.

You got banned from a thread in TLL for the same carry on. Snarky, unnecessarily sarcastic posts. End of conversation.

Hmmm, isn't there a rule that you don't drag one forum into another one on boards?

Maybe I'm snarky... or maybe you're oversensitive.

You started a thread, deal with the responses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,198 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

My friends girlfriend did the dirt on him and we threw stones at her

Hmmm, isn't there a rule that you don't drag one forum into another one on boards?

I'll let the mods deal with my rule breaking.

And no, it's definitely you're snarkiness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

Bloody hell, do you pair always have to have the last word???
    Tell me, is this an Irish thing or a Foreign thing???

ronjo wrote: »
    Bloody hell, do you pair always have to have the last word???
    Tell me, is this an Irish thing or a Foreign thing???

It's an AH thing.

And no, it's definitely you're snarkiness.

It's called a "typo".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Eve and Filly. You are both this close to threadban/actual ban >0<
    Chill now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭ruthloss

It took me a while to understand that to offer a 'cup of tea' here means you must produce biscuits (at the very least) and/or sandwiches as well.,
    unlike England, where a 'cup of tea' is just a cup of tea.

One thing you notice in UK and Irl compared to Europe is that we eat a crazy amount of preprepared food - i.e. readymeals, packed sandwiches, etc. Even the massive supermarkets in France have only tiny sections for these types of things but M&S, Sainsburys, Spar etc seem to base their whole business on them! I don't think they're a good thing for society either, there's something about English speaking countries where we have to be rushing around all the time, well in the cities at least.

Sorry. I apologise Sea Filly.

One thing you notice in UK and Irl compared to Europe is that we eat a crazy amount of preprepared food - i.e. readymeals, packed sandwiches, etc. Even the massive supermarkets in France have only tiny sections for these types of things but M&S, Sainsburys, Spar etc seem to base their whole business on them! I don't think they're a good thing for society either, there's something about English speaking countries where we have to be rushing around all the time, well in the cities at least.

As well as the fact that most ready-meals are shite and what you cook yourself will most likely be way nicer even if you're only a mediocre cook.

Me too. I'm sorry.

ruthloss wrote: »
    It took me a while to understand that to offer a 'cup of tea' here means you must produce biscuits (at the very least) and/or sandwiches as well.,
    unlike England, where a 'cup of tea' is just a cup of tea.

My BF can't have tea on its own, where I can, quite happily.

As well as the fact that most ready-meals are shite and what you cook yourself will most likely be way nicer even if you're only a mediocre cook.

Yeah well M&S do make some decent ones, but I would only buy them if they were reduced to clear

Yeah well M&S do make some decent ones, but I would only buy them if they were reduced to clear

Even then, they're not great and V expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭born2bwild

When I write the number nine I put a hook on the bottom of it.

i never eat readymeals, always cook
    if i'm exhausted i'll just stick on some eggs or something

bluewolf wrote: »
    i never eat readymeals, always cook

Well people must eat them with the amount of stuff that's stocked in supermarkets

Well people must eat them with the amount of stuff that's stocked in supermarkets

yeah of course, just saying

+1

Eggs, nature's fast food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

beks101 wrote: »
    After two years in Canada...

- I apologize profusely even if it's not my fault

Irish people never stop apologizing

Sorry to the person blocking you on the bus
    Sorry to the Tesco staff when you want to ask a question
    Sorry when someone barges into you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

mikemac1 wrote: »

Sorry about that, man.

I have to disagree....ahuruhuhur...

Sorry.

Irish people are very mannerly, that is a good trait. Holding doors, saying please and thank you, these are not things we should apologise for doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Me too. I'm sorry.

http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/now-kith.jpg

+1. Some of it drives me mad. Why apologise for asking for something or if you need someone to stop obstructing a passageway? People often look at me cock-eyed because I say "Excuse me..." rather than "Sorry..." like it's rude or something.

• Advertisement

Oh and I also like to dance with castanets and bull fight and walk around with a hairy chest and a moustache and a medallion whistling and make grunting sounds at young women.

+1. Some of it drives me mad. Why apologise for asking for something or if you need someone to stop obstructing a passageway? People often look at me cock-eyed because I say "Excuse me..." rather than "Sorry..." like it's rude or something.

when i was a kid i said excuse me to get by someone and a "friend" castigated me and instructed me that i must say sorry as it's more polite

:rolleyes:

when i was a kid i said excuse me to get by someone and a "friend" castigated me and instructed me that i must say sorry as it's more polite

Remember to say sorry whilst getting the barman's attention to order vastly over priced slop in a bar. Then thank him profusely as he takes your cash off you.

T'is the Irish way.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭mayotom

kfallon wrote: »
    Clara is known as a shandy over here, not a foreign phenomenon

Shandy = Beer/7up
    Clara = Beer/Fanta Lemon

mayotom wrote: »
    Clara = Beer/Fanta Lemon

Club Lemon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I refuse to do this. I'm not apologising for asking someone to move out of my way :mad:

mayotom wrote: »
    Shandy = Beer/7up
    Clara = Beer/Fanta Lemon

See? SEE? Completely different!! :mad::)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭asherbassad

I....

Put mayonnaise on my ham and cheese sandwiches (loads of slices of ham like the fat Americans do).

Ask to take my leftovers home if I can finish my meal in a restaurant.

Have beer in the house in the fridge at all times and drink it in the house during the day if I feel like it.

Sleep in the nip.

Yep.....do the stand on the right escalator thing (even though I've only ever visited London rather than lived there).

Bring my own plastic bag to the supermarket.

Kiss female acquaintances pretty much everytime I meet them.

And I've been cured of commenting on the weather.

Of course a lot of these are probably de rigeur now but they were weird to people back in the early 90's.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

instead of doing my 7's as across and down
    I sometimes do them up, curve across ,down and then a stroke too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

My BF can't have tea on its own, where I can, quite happily.
    Freudian, or somthing. :) How is "its" these days? Still ringing them bells every quarter? Did the Hump cream do any good?

• Advertisement
Advertisement