Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Northern Clash - 11th August '12, 12pm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Nevflinn

I'm booking a bus route to make it there. It means getting to the bus station at 5 in the morning, but I'm hoping that I'll get enough sleep on the train ride over to compensate.

In the meantime, can anyone give me an idea as to when Marvel 3 Grand Finals might occur? It'd help me to avoid having to skip it in order to make my bus back home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Voa

Whoo 7:30 train
    ...Considering walking my fat ass up to the venue when I arrive at about 9:30 from the station. Either that, or wait around for 2 hours with my Fire Emblem.
    I should probably dig up a map...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Nevflinn wrote: »
    I'm booking a bus route to make it there. It means getting to the bus station at 5 in the morning, but I'm hoping that I'll get enough sleep on the train ride over to compensate.

In the meantime, can anyone give me an idea as to when Marvel 3 Grand Finals might occur? It'd help me to avoid having to skip it in order to make my bus back home.

In my experience, unless they're running 4+ games both tournaments are done by 6.

Also, kudos at the effort getting to Belfast, would you not be better off hitting the Dublin tournaments in future if you want to make the effort? We have Marvel ones all the time.
    Voa wrote: »
    ...Considering walking my fat ass up to the venue when I arrive at about 9:30 from the station. Either that, or wait around for 2 hours with my Fire Emblem.

DO NOT walk up the Donegal pass if you do. Do not listen to Chopper who will say it's fine. The fact we weren't harrassed in any way did not make it a pleasant walk, and I'm pretty sure it's not even the quickest way to the venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl

DO NOT walk up the Donegal pass if you do. Do not listen to Chopper who will say it's fine. The fact we weren't harrassed in any way did not make it a pleasant walk, and I'm pretty sure it's not even the quickest way to the venue.

I'm with Chopper on this one...you'll be grand :cool:

@Roogle. Can't make it up north this weekend. Hope it goes well and best of luck in your travels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Voa

If they can smell the south on me, I'll just do my best "Howdy, dudes" in my hardest American accent. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭fake_roogle

@Nevflinn, sorry for not reading your post earlier, been busy with RL stuff and preparations to make the setups as lag free as possible. unfortunately, most of our guys up north don't browse boards and i can't offer space right now, but i can ask if it's still possible if you'd like from of the guys

i'd expect marvel finals to happen around 4-5ish, at least if everything runs as smoothly as i like. obviously, that's subject to the number of entrants and in case anything goes wrong, but hopefully that'll not be the case.
    Unfortunately, Donegall Pass is more or less the fastest way by foot.

The good news is that taking a 'safer', alternative route at worst adds maybe five more minutes, so if you're looking for more peace of mind, I suggest following this route. Brief notes (this can all be seen on the mapped route):
    - When you exit the station, turn left and just walk straight. You'll pass St. George's Market on the opposite side, and the road will eventually split. Stick on the side you're on and keep walking.
    - Once you see a fire station, cross the road and walk down Ormeau Avenue. The fire station should be on your left side if you're going the right way.
    - You'll hit Nando's (:D) at the end, turn left and walk straight.
    - The road will eventually split again, walk down Bradbury Place (there will be a Santander and a pub called Lavery's on the left side and a KFC on the right corner).
    - Only a few paces later, it'll split again. Walk down the left split up University Road (there's a hairdressers called Rogue near the road you're supposed to walk up) and keep going.
    - Once you reach the crossing lights at Queen's University, cross the road and you're at the SU. Walk inside, keep walking straight and you'll eventually see a stairwell with "The Space" labelled. Walk up and you're in.

If you're coming via bus, take this route. When you come into the station, walk through the mini-mall before you pop out at the front.
    - Optional: If you come out to Glengall St. (it'll be pretty obvious as it's a side street and not a main street), turn right until you hit Great Victoria St.
    - Turn right once you exit the mall and walk straight.
    - The road will eventually split, walk down Bradbury Place (there will be a Santander and a pub called Lavery's on the left side and a KFC on the right corner).
    - Only a few paces later, it'll split again. Walk down the left split up University Road (there's a hairdressers called Rogue near the road you're supposed to walk up) and keep going.
    - Once you reach the crossing lights at Queen's University, cross the road and you're at the SU. Walk inside, keep walking straight and you'll eventually see a stairwell with "The Space" labelled. Walk up and you're in.

@AJ: thanks a lot! thanks a lot for taking the helm for running some of the stuff down south.

P.S. I'll be in there way before 12 and chances are we'll probably be ready for casuals before then as well, so feel free to just pop in.

Voa wrote: »
    If they can smell the south on me, I'll just do my best "Howdy, dudes" in my hardest American accent. :D

...then you'll get beaten AND mugged :p

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Lythero

Those be some very specific and helpful directions, Roogle. I was just going to say walk up Sandy Row and it'll take 15 minutes, forgetting that they won't be getting off at Victoria Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Donegal Pass is grand, but walking up past Fibbers is probably quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭blag

Lythero wrote: »
    Those be some very specific and helpful directions, Roogle. I was just going to say walk up Sandy Row and it'll take 15 minutes, forgetting that they won't be getting off at Victoria Street.

If someone feels uncomfortable on Donegall Pass then Sandy Row is ratcheting things up to a whole other level!:pac:

• Advertisement

Oh oh oh, Doom, are you planning on streaming this one?

Lythero wrote: »
    Oh oh oh, Doom, are you planning on streaming this one?

AFAIK they don't have enough upload in the SU.

AFAIK they don't have enough upload in the SU.

Surely one of those northern folk have 4g phones with gigawatts of power and bandwidth for but a few shillings - that could work? or at least worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Nutrient

Hypespotting lads managed this little feat with 4g

Could be hassle though, disconnects and what not

Ah, if it's gonna be a hassle then don't worry about it. I was just asking in case I should put a word out on the day to a few peeps to watch it

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭MelficeVKM

Will there be casuals for any other games? Might head up if there's any KoF or VF5 about :)

MelficeVKM wrote: »
    Will there be casuals for any other games? Might head up if there's any KoF or VF5 about :)
    not super likely but it's possible once the groups are over and if anyone has copies of those games

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭MelficeVKM

Alright, cheers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Yreval

I'll be bringing KOF XIII at the very least.

OK kids.

You should aim to be there 20 mins minimum before the train leaves. I will probably be there at 9. It leaves at 9.35 so aim for 9.15.

I have sent everyone who's on the train who isn't directly ordered with me a reservation no. BRING THIS NUMBER. You don't need my card to get your tickets, just type this number into the machines and it will spit out your return ticket.

I won't get yours out because if one of us is late we won't have to miss the train waiting to hand the ticket over.

There's an ATM machine in the train station that take RoI bank cards, no need to get pounds out before you travel.

I will need to get a taxi to the venue. It's v cheap with 3 or 4 people to a jo: but just bear in mind I won't be able to guide you to the venue.

If the tournament ends at about 6, I will probably hit up the local chinese if anyone wants to join me.

Think that's it.

• Advertisement

Chinese food has too much salt in i-

Oh I see.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Since I have no idea how to get to the venue from the station, and I know some of the walking routes carry a small chance of death, I'm happy to go in on any taxis that are going.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

ye **** walking taxis for life

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Nevflinn

@Nevflinn, sorry for not reading your post earlier, been busy with RL stuff and preparations to make the setups as lag free as possible. unfortunately, most of our guys up north don't browse boards and i can't offer space right now, but i can ask if it's still possible if you'd like from of the guys

i'd expect marvel finals to happen around 4-5ish, at least if everything runs as smoothly as i like. obviously, that's subject to the number of entrants and in case anything goes wrong, but hopefully that'll not be the case.
    Thanks Roogle. Don't worry, I understand that issue well (as you can see)! The best bus deals I could find have me leaving Belfast at 5:30 from Glengall St., so I hope everyone understands if I miss out the last part of the event. As for my travel route, I'm expecting to arrive in Belfast at around 11:50 at Glengall St. The map made it seem as simple as going down Great Victoria St., then Shaftesbury Square, then down to University road, then take the left onto the road with the Queen's Fan Theatre, and then down to the university. That sounds simple enough, right?
    In my experience, unless they're running 4+ games both tournaments are done by 6.

Also, kudos at the effort getting to Belfast, would you not be better off hitting the Dublin tournaments in future if you want to make the effort? We have Marvel ones all the time.
    Thanks, Doom. It's a little more of a struggle to reach Belfast than it is Dublin, aye. I've been wanting to go to Dublin tournaments for a while, but I've been tangled either in waiting or in real-life complications. I hope to see you on Judgement Day, though! (The other Judgement Day, that is.)

I need a favour lads.

Could someone bring an iPod usb cable, and also a HDMI which I may or may not need to use.

The iPhone cable's kinda important though. Someone nicked my spare :/

I need a favour lads.

Could someone bring an iPod usb cable, and also a HDMI which I may or may not need to use.

The iPhone cable's kinda important though. Someone nicked my spare :/
    i assume you just mean a HDMI to HDMI? i can provide both

i assume you just mean a HDMI to HDMI? i can provide both

Yup. cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Jun_DP101

Can someone bring a deck of cards for the train journey?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Yreval

Quick results:

SSF4AE2012: Ladnopoka
    UMVC3: Lythero

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭EmSixTeen

ggs

Advertisement