Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nice guys finish last?

• 25-07-2012 1:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Is this still true? When I was a courting the young ladies it was terrible hard work for an affable easy going goodlooking general nice guy like me to woo a fair maiden. Charm and good looks were no match for court convictions and battle scars.

Emilio Estevez was my hero.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭murrayp4

1st to reply. Woo! Fúck you nice guys!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Yeah it's true. Cunts get on in life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Can't be too nice or you'll end up in the 'just good friends' zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

Stop dating gobsh1tes and you'll be sorted. Anyone over the age of 15 who values an arsehole over a nice guy is going to be a major PITA anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Call a spade a spade, shy guys finish last.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Luap

Onto her face FTW!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Where To wrote: »
    Is this still true? When I was a courting the young ladies it was terrible hard work for an affable easy going goodlooking general nice guy like me to woo a fair maiden. Charm and good looks were no match for court convictions and battle scars.

Emilio Estevez was my hero.

I preferred John Bender to be honest. But I can appreciate someone who uses the word affable. Best of luck in your future endeavours old chap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

And people that don't have any legs.
    Sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Yes. Nice guys finish last.

But the expression isnt only related to dating. But everything in life. If you be a dick and look out for number 1 in every possible way. You'll have more in life. So being a 'nice guy' will make you have less.

Which is obvious when you think about it. Life is a rat race after all. So if you arent willing to act in an 'dog eat dog' way you will sink. From a personal stand point I think i am too soft. Soft in the sense that I be too nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

humbert wrote: »
    Call a spade a spade, shy guys finish last.

Do you mean a digging spade or spade as in the "ace of spades"?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

The word Nice used to mean that a person was stupid, naive etc. In a lot of ways it still does. When a girl calls a guy nice, you know what I mean. That's closer to its original use.
    Nice guys have a tougher learning curve but I think they finish well over all. They start poorly is a better way of putting things.
    Shyness is something else and it is a genuine psychological problem that will impede a persons life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Of course nice guys finish last. Why do you think were called nice guys? Because we let the the lady climax first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Nice guys do finish last, it's what makes them Nice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Nice guys do finish last, it's what makes them Nice!
    All except Emilio. He shook the ladies all night long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Millicent wrote: »
    Stop dating gobsh1tes and you'll be sorted. Anyone over the age of 15 who values an arsehole over a nice guy is going to be a major PITA anyway.

How would you like it if I told people not to date you? :mad:

There is a difference between being nice and being a doormat. IMO no girl wants to date a doormat unless they intend to take advantage, you don't want anything to do with them though. The same way you probably would be better off without the type of girl who likes a guy who treats her like crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Emilio is way hotter than Charlie. Some girls do like a bit of drama with lads tbf. They won't bother with nice lads because it's not cool or chase bad boys to rebel against parents when they're younger.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

mackg wrote: »
    How would you like it if I told people not to date you? :mad:

I'd be disgusted but I'm sure my boyfriend would be delighted. :pac:

All except Emilio. He shook the ladies all night long.

Moving on to Kiefer, 24 is a nice number, ruling out seconds now, we are into minutes........hours even!

I think the bad boys tend to overtake the Nice guys in the early stages, but it will always be the Nice guy who gets the girl crying on his shoulder about that Bastard!

It's then the Nice guy should step up his game, imo.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Moving on to Kiefer, 24 is a nice number, ruling out seconds now, we are into minutes........hours even!

I think the bad boys tend to overtake the Nice guys in the early stages, but it will always be the Nice guy who gets the girl crying on his shoulder about that Bastard!

It's then the Nice guy should step up his game, imo.....

...drop the hand?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

...drop the hand?
    If in doubt!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Millicent wrote: »
    I'd be disgusted but I'm sure my boyfriend would be delighted. :pac:

So just because you're in a relationship you come on here and cockblock us poor gobsh1tes? Not cool.

+1 on dropping the hand. Is there ever a bad time for it?

...drop the hand?

Knees I say more, if your hand is all you can talk about, then I would drop it.
    :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

It has nothing to do with being 'nice', and being 'nice' has nothing to do with the seduction process. The same way that being nice has nothing to do with being a good footballer or not.

What many (not all) women don't like is passive guys who are insecure and, thus, afraid to show their true selves. So they present this nice guy image instead, which is approachable as it's nice to have someone who'll always be kind to you around, but it doesn't necessarily mean you want to bang them.

None of us are 100% nice, in the same way that none of us are 100% arseholes. But I can see why a woman would be more attracted to a guy who was unafraid to be an arsehole around her than a guy who was clearly hiding it away under layers of insecurity, only for it to be revealed when it's too late. What we take to mean as 'nice' is, more often than not, just a lick arse who's afraid to be themselves.

I hate 'nice' girls too. There's nothing worse than a girl licking your arse, having learned from experience that you'll have to deal with a bunch of stuff that you didn't sign up for, as the layers peel off down the line.

Might sound harsh, but it's the truth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

KKkitty wrote: »
    Emilio is way hotter than Charlie. Some girls do like a bit of drama with lads tbf. They won't bother with nice lads because it's not cool or chase bad boys to rebel against parents when they're younger.

And funnier:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I honestly don't think there can be any greater tribute to someone than people saying "He's one of life's good guys'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

We're still all basic creatures.

Women unconsciously look for strong, healthy, masculine men, who in a caveman situation would be more able to provide for her and their many offspring, and more likely to sire strong healthy kids.

It'll take a good few more 10's of thousands of years before this trait is bred out of us. Not sure if that will be a good thing though.

You can't really compare "i can make this software do amazing things" with "i could bench press you up and down my cock all night long".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

There's a difference between 'nice guys' and being a nice guy.

The type of bloke who classifies himself as the 'nice guy' is generally a bit disturbing.... They put women on pedestals and seem to think that Hollywood romance is real life and that women are like princesses. It's all a bit surreal, sappy and pathetic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

There's a difference between 'nice guys' and being a nice guy.

The type of bloke who classifies himself as the 'nice guy' is generally a bit disturbing.... They put women on pedestals and seem to think that Hollywood romance is real life and that women are like princesses. It's all a bit surreal, sappy and pathetic.

I do none of those things. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I do none of those things. :confused:

Then I'd say you're not a 'nice guy' but just a normal bloke.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Culleeo

I think the key to success is to be nice but not overly nice. I find if you're overly nice, some people see that as a weakness and tend to take advantage of that. I'm always nice to people but the minute I feel someone might be taking advantage of that, a bit of a nasty streak comes out and it's just to let people know that I won't take any shit. I find people will respect you more too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Red21

I didn't even know I was in a race.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

leggo wrote: »
    There's nothing worse than a girl licking your arse

Don't knock it till you've tried it :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Nice Guys are the ones who are afraid of their own sexuality.
    I can't do this, that or the other is their mentality. Why not? She might want you to!

They haven't figured out how to say "I want to be on you!" to a lady without actually saying it.

If that makes sense?

foxyboxer wrote: »
    They haven't figured out how to say "I want to be on you!" to a lady without actually saying it.

If that makes sense?

No it doesn't! Who says that to anyone?

Culleeo wrote: »
    I think the key to success is to be nice but not overly nice. I find if you're overly nice, some people see that as a weakness and tend to take advantage of that. I'm always nice to people but the minute I feel someone might be taking advantage of that, a bit of a nasty streak comes out and it's just to let people know that I won't take any shit. I find people will respect you more too.

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you is the best advice on human interaction. You treat people with courtesy, manners and respect yet the beauty of this advice is that if people treat you like crap then you will do likewise.

• Advertisement

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    No it doesn't! Who says that to anyone?

Ron Burgundy, he's kind of a big deal.

foxyboxer wrote: »
    Ron Burgundy, he's kind of a big deal.

I thought Burgundy was a wine region

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

It's the pants, they have to go back to the store.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Ms.M

I'm nice. My Mr. is nice too. Extremely nice actually. I don't know what you're on about OP :) You sure you don't mean "nice" as "one of the girls"/ rendering yourself completely sexless through becoming a brother/ sister-like figure?

Ms.M wrote: »
    I'm nice. My Mr. is nice too. Extremely nice actually. I don't know what you're on about OP :) You sure you don't mean "nice" as "one of the girls"/ rending yourself completely sexless through becoming a brother/ sister-like figure?

Yes that is what nice means these days. Spineless, doormat, etc. So yes nice guys do finish last.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Women already have a pussy, they don't need another one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Ms.M wrote: »
    I'm nice. My Mr. is nice too. Extremely nice actually. I don't know what you're on about OP :) You sure you don't mean "nice" as "one of the girls"/ rending yourself completely sexless through becoming a brother/ sister-like figure?
    OP is friendzone material Level 1000.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Hardonraging

Men should be caring and considerate to there parters, while still maintaining there masculine persona.. ..

Men should be caring and considerate to there parters, while still maintaining there masculine persona.. ..
    So we should use lube?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Hardonraging

smash wrote: »
    So we should use lube?

Only if ye need to like ...

Emilio Estevez IS my hero.

FYP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Emilio Estevez IS my hero.

FYP
    Na, just hasn't been the same since the mighty ducks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

The stereotype that women go for a$$holes is there for a reason. Just like every fella eventually learns the lesson to stop goin for the blonde with the fake tan and big boobs who's more interested in jersey shore than what to do with her life, every girl needs to learn not to go for the arrogant loudmouth who they cant change.
    So yes nice guys do finish last for a while.

every girl needs to learn not to go for the arrogant loudmouth who they cant change.

He's not an arrogant loudmouth... He's confident, and there's something sweet behind those eyes, that they just have to release! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

sometimes nice guys need to toughen up.....

• Advertisement
Advertisement