Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nice guys finish last?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

Eve_Dublin wrote: »
    Where women are second class citizens and are treated like muck? Nope. Men are very much numero uno in those countries and mashismo is rife. You still haven't provided me with solid examples though. Names?

It doesn’t have to be Iraq for God’s sake. After been to Poland a few times for example, I’d have to say that men are generally more valued there. That doesn’t mean the women are subservient little doormats. It’s just a different culture with different attitudes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    I never said anything about boastfulness so I don't know. No country is perfect but sure look, if you're having no luck fishing in one sea you can always try another. I've found it easier in other cultures but that's just my experience, and I'm not saying its all bad here. Each to their own.

No that's fine, I have no objections to you having personal preferences and experiences. My objection was to the other poster's tarring of Ireland as a place where boastful, arrogant men win out and where niceness is not valued. Niceness is very much valued in Ireland. Arrogance is not outside of certain business circles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

It doesn’t have to be Iraq for God’s sake. After been to Poland a few times for example, I’d have to say that men are generally more valued there. That doesn’t mean the women are subservient little doormats. It’s just a different culture with different attitudes.

Have you ever considered moving there? I'm not being sarcastic, but it seems you would feel more valued and happier there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

My impression of eastern European societies is that there is a lot of machismo (broadly speaking) - quite traditional. Not saying there's necessarily anything wrong with that, but humility isn't exactly what springs to mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

Davey. It's very simple. Surprised you haven't coped on yet. You don't like women in Ireland, that's very obvious. Every single thread on this issue, there you are in the thick of it mouthing off about Irish women. Please don't deny it. If you don't like us, you won't have much luck, unfortunately. It's usually an attractive quality when you know the man whose talking to you actually likes you and doesn't discount you simply because you're one nationality or another. I can usually tell if that's the case. Maybe work on that instead.

By the way, a couple of holidays in Poland hardly gives you the insight to generalise about the the whole of Eastern European. First thing you'd know is that Eastern Europe is not a country, it's a region of Europe containing a lot of different countries with their own particular culture and customs. It's not homogenous and you can't generalise.

Madam_X wrote: »
    My impression of eastern European societies is that there is a lot of machismo (broadly speaking) - quite traditional. Not saying there's necessarily anything wrong with that, but humility isn't exactly what springs to mind.

That'd be my impression too...from the men I've lived with and met from that region.

Have you ever considered moving there? I'm not being sarcastic, but it seems you would feel more valued and happier there.

Well I probably would if there were jobs there for me. I can speak a bit of their lingo too, but It's still very bad there economy wise, and I have a steady job here.

Well I probably would if there were jobs there for me. I can speak a bit of their lingo too, but It's still very bad there economy wise, and I have a steady job here.

The Polish economy is probably in better shape than ours right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

What I don't understand is why someone doesn't like Irish girls in general. There's hardly just one type of them. They as varied as the rest of them IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

The Polish economy is probably in better shape than ours right now.
    Yet I believe they don't value Irish workers ............

Davey. It's very simple. Surprised you haven't coped on yet. You don't like women in Ireland, that's very obvious. Every single thread on this issue, there you are in the thick of it mouthing off about Irish women. Please don't deny it. If you don't like us, you won't have much luck, unfortunately. It's usually an attractive quality when you know the man whose talking to you actually likes you and doesn't discount you simply because you're one nationality or another. I can usually tell if that's the case. Maybe work on that instead.

By the way, a couple of holidays in Poland hardly gives you the insight to generalise about the the whole of Eastern European. First thing you'd know is that Eastern Europe is not a country, it's a region of Europe containing a lot of different countries with their own particular culture and customs. It's not homogenous and you can't generalise.

First of all, I don't hate Irish women and I wouldn't rule out dating one as I've said before. I just have a preference for foreign women. I dislike the night life and pub culture here sure, but don't have any hatred for Irish women.

A lot of people here seem to think if you have a preference for something then you just hate the opposite, and so many people get defensive when you start comparing cultures or women for that matter.

And I've been to a few countries in Eastern Europe, not just Poland. I have my own preference and opinions. If you're not happy with that, fine. If a woman said she preferred foreign men to Irish men I wouldn't really care.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Glenn_Flinn

This is a fallacy. The fact that there's a lot of machoismo among Eastern European men does not necessarily indicate that is what Eastern European women exclusively value in a man.

Eastern European women have more general respect for men, macho or not, from my experience.

1ZRed wrote: »
    What I don't understand is why someone doesn't like Irish girls in general. There's hardly just one type of them. They as varied as the rest of them IMO.

So you're saying there are no notable patterns in the personality and behavior in women from any place? So Irish women are the same as Polish women, they're just varied, and Japanese women are the same as Nigerian women? Talk about PC gone mad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Gauss

This is a fallacy. The fact that there's a lot of machoismo among Eastern European men does not necessarily indicate that is what Eastern European women exclusively value in a man.

Eastern European women have more general respect for men, macho or not, from my experience.

Explain some examples where you weren't shown respect by Irish women in contrast to foreign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

So you're saying there are no notable patterns in the personality and behavior in women from any place?

Most of my female Irish friends are very, very different from each other. Same with my male Irish friends. And (this is key, btw) any broad similarities I may have noticed amongst my foreign friends or foreign people usually dissipated by the time I actually got to know them.
    So Irish women are the same as Polish women, they're just varied, and Japanese women are the same as Nigerian women? Talk about PC gone mad.

You've completely misunderstood the point. It's that Irish women are different from each other AND Polish women AND Nigerian women and so on. Same goes with guys.

• Advertisement

Most of my female Irish friends are very, very different from each other. Same with my male Irish friends. And (this is key, btw) any broad similarities I may have noticed amongst my foreign friends or foreign people usually dissipated by the time I actually got to know them.

You've completely misunderstood the point. It's that Irish women are different from each other AND Polish women AND Nigerian women and so on. Same goes with guys.

Yes, but their attitudes and standards towards men are notably different because of how they were groomed by their respective cultures, that is very obvious to me and a very commonly held opinion by many.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

So you're saying there are no notable patterns in the personality and behavior in women from any place? So Irish women are the same as Polish women, they're just varied, and Japanese women are the same as Nigerian women? Talk about PC gone mad.
    So by that logic you're saying all Irish girls are the same and all polish girls and all Nigerian girls are all the same as well?

Don't know where you've been mate but I've run into so many different types of people with different personalities and behaviour. That goes for both men and women regardless of country and culture.

Gauss wrote: »
    Explain some examples where you weren't shown respect by Irish women in contrast to foreign.

It's more of a general thing. The way they'll interact with you in any given situation. I've gone out with EE women and Irish women. In relationships, EE women behave undeniably different. Many of my friends who've gone out with Asian and South American women share the same sentiments.

Yes, but their attitudes and standards towards men are notably different because of how they were groomed by their respective cultures, that is very obvious to me and a very commonly held opinion by many.

I'll just say this, do yourself a favour and consider you may be wrong and that your beliefs could be skewed. No one's beliefs perfectly reflect the world. Consider you may be interpreted events through a filter you don't realise is there.

When you expect people to be friendly they are more likely to be friendly back when you approach. And that's not hippy talk, it's real life.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 ehmjay

Anyone ever watch Take me Out? In the English version the girls were up for a laugh, if a guy came on and he was handsome he'd get wolf-whistles, the works, none of the girls minded admitting if they found a guy attractive, there was friendly banter. In the Irish version it was all about the put-downs, god forbid a girl admitted to liking a guy and he didn't pick her, it was like the girls were trying to out-bich each other and you just felt sorry for the Irish guys.

• Advertisement

You're generalising too much, which happens when you take your experiences with a couple of people from a country and make statements about their culture and their 'attitudes to men'. How exactly can you speak with such authority about Eastern European women's attitudes to men? And by this I mean how many Eastern European women do you know?

I'll just say this, do yourself a favour and consider you may be wrong and that your beliefs could be skewed. No one's beliefs perfectly reflect the world. Consider you may be interpreted events through a filter you don't realise is there.

When you expect people to be friendly they are more likely to be friendly back when you approach. And that's not hippy talk, it's real life.

When you claim to be able to relate to an issue you have no experience with, you're likely to be wrong. You cannot comprehend how different nationalities of women respond to you and treat you in a relationship as a man because you are a woman. And that's not hippy talk, it's real life.

You're generalising too much, which happens when you take your experiences with a couple of people from a country and make statements about their culture and their 'attitudes to men'. How exactly can you speak with such authority about Eastern European women's attitudes to men? And by this I mean how many Eastern European women do you know?

I'm not saying I have conducted surveys or interacted with every Irish and Eastern European woman in the world. I'm just saying based on my own experiences and the experiences of many others, foreign women are more respectful to men in and out of relationships. That's my opinion. If you're experiences and opinions are different, fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭RED PASSION

Yes. Nice guys finish last.

But the expression isnt only related to dating. But everything in life. If you be a dick and look out for number 1 in every possible way. You'll have more in life. So being a 'nice guy' will make you have less.

Which is obvious when you think about it. Life is a rat race after all. So if you arent willing to act in an 'dog eat dog' way you will sink. From a personal stand point I think i am too soft. Soft in the sense that I be too nice.

and what mate are you going to do to become the alpha male as he gets everything

and what mate are you going to do to become the alpha male as he gets everything

Relocate. Alpha males have different definitions in different cultures. I was an Alpha male in Ukraine and Poland because I was confident and nice. In Ireland it takes such a finely tuned combination of attributes to be Alpha (looks, height, domineering attitude) only a small portion of men can fit the category.

I'm not saying I have conducted surveys or interacted with every Irish and Eastern European woman in the world. I'm just saying based on my own experiences and the experiences of many others, foreign women are more respectful to men in and out of relationships. That's my opinion. If you're experiences and opinions are different, fine.

I share the same opinion, but it seems to be a very unpopular opinion which causes a lot of people to get very defensive for some reason. I don't get annoyed with other peoples opinions or experiences. Everyone is different, each to their own and all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

There are cultural differences for sure, but that's hardly restricted to the opposite sex only. All other things being equal I can't imagine I'd have as much in common with someone from Japan compared to someone from the UK. That said, all other things are not equal.

kowloon wrote: »
    There are cultural differences for sure, but that's hardly restricted to the opposite sex only. All other things being equal I can't imagine I'd have as much in common with someone from Japan compared to someone from the UK. That said, all other things are not equal.

This looks like the beginning of the boards.ie anti-PC revolution, at last the day has come.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I think nice guys finish last.

I don't think nice guys finish last.

I'm glad that's been sorted. It's a pity you didn't post this at the start of the thread and we'd have saved ourselves a lot of hassle.
    In the psychology of females, there is a very strong need to feel accepted by other people. In most cultures, women seek this acceptance from a relationship with a man. However in this culture men have been devalued and women tend to seek it more so from a larger group of their peers. When they do seek a relationship, they want it to be with a man who is held in high regard by the culture at large first and foremost, rather than evaluating him on how he feels about her and how much respect he treats her with. Unfortunately, "niceness" is simply not valued in this culture. It's all about whoever can gain the most status and attention and being nice simply doesn't achieve this. Being an asshole is seen as dominant and as a result assholes are held in high regard.

How many re-regs is this now? Must be a record.

First of all, I don't hate Irish women and I wouldn't rule out dating one as I've said before. I just have a preference for foreign women. I dislike the night life and pub culture here sure, but don't have any hatred for Irish women.

A lot of people here seem to think if you have a preference for something then you just hate the opposite, and so many people get defensive when you start comparing cultures or women for that matter.

And I've been to a few countries in Eastern Europe, not just Poland. I have my own preference and opinions. If you're not happy with that, fine. If a woman said she preferred foreign men to Irish men I wouldn't really care.
    I share the same opinion, but it seems to be a very unpopular opinion which causes a lot of people to get very defensive for some reason. I don't get annoyed with other peoples opinions or experiences. Everyone is different, each to their own and all that.

People get defensive not because you state your preference in a non-confrontational way in settings where it's natural to do so, but because you pop up in every single thread that's at least tangentially related to gender, as well as bumping threads and starting your own. Your persistence in doing this creates the impression that you have a problem with Irish women or, at best, that you're winding people up.

I don't like to make assumptions about people, but I'm sorry Davey, I think I can safely say you've got issues with women. And not just Irish women. I've got a sneaking suspicion that if you did secure that dream move to Poland, you'd find problems with Polish women too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Quorum

Gawd, this post is so 2006.
    It's more of a general thing. The way they'll interact with you in any given situation. I've gone out with EE women and Irish women. In relationships, EE women behave undeniably different. Many of my friends who've gone out with Asian and South American women share the same sentiments.

As are these.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Quorum wrote: »
    Gawd, this post is so 2006.

Sexist against men!!

Typical feminist Irish women, doesn't value niceness in men, instead preferring a domineering, tall, handsome man she can boss around and...

Wait... how's that supposed to work again?

I was an Alpha male in Ukraine and Poland because I was confident and nice.

Lulz. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭TheFruitarian

Nice Finish guys last.

Okay. You've made your feelings clear about 100 times. I think every regular poster in AH knows how you feel at this stage. It's not new. Who are you trying to convince here? Sounds like your looking for posters to justify your dislike. Why can't you just feel the way you feel and get on with it?

And no, you don't just have problem with the pub/club scene, you've a problem with Irish women. I could spend all morning quoting you but I've work. Another time maybe. Sure you can look back on your own posts there if you like.

Relocate. Alpha males have different definitions in different cultures. I was an Alpha male in Ukraine and Poland because I was confident and nice. In Ireland it takes such a finely tuned combination of attributes to be Alpha (looks, height, domineering attitude) only a small portion of men can fit the category.

Have you ever seen a Polish man?

Have you relocated yet? If not, why not? It's easy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,677 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I think it's basically boils down to whether someone is attracted to a person or not.

Does being rejected suck?

Of course it does, I have been rejected because I am not a tall guy by women I was interested in but there is no point being bitter about as we all have preferences that we look for in a partner.

I don't think this story of women liking the "bad boy" exists either IMO.

Who in their right mind would want to be with an asshole who treats them badly and would probably cheat at every opportunity.

When you claim to be able to relate to an issue you have no experience with, you're likely to be wrong. You cannot comprehend how different nationalities of women respond to you and treat you in a relationship as a man because you are a woman. And that's not hippy talk, it's real life.

I'm a man, and I used to think women just didn't like me. So I have a good idea what you're feeling. It was my warped beliefs that were the problem. Don't have problems with women now.

No woman owes you anything.

Says the guy who makes sweeping generalisations about what women (yup, half the population) feel, as well as how women and men act in different nationalities (based, I presume, on a couple of holidays to Poland, if that).

Bit of a mix up there, it's actually "Nice guys cum last"

• Advertisement

Says the guy who makes sweeping generalisations about what women (yup, half the population) feel, as well as how women and men act in different nationalities (based, I presume, on a couple of holidays to Poland, if that).

Yeah, that's what gets me. Not only are some content to generalise how Irish people behave, they do it for whole other nations that they have even less experience of too!

Quorum wrote: »
    Yeah, that's what gets me. Not only are some content to generalise how Irish people behave, they do it for whole other nations that they have even less experience of too!

Not just that: content to generalise and then criticise others for generalising. Mind boggling.

Not just that: content to generalise and then criticise others for generalising. Mind boggling.

Six or seven years ago, there would have plenty of agreement with those posts, but thankfully that seems to happen less these days.

I've got a sneaking suspicion that if you did secure that dream move to Poland, you'd find problems with Polish women too.

I don't need to move to Poland. There's plenty of nice Polish girls here, as well as some nice Irish ones. Excuse me for having a preference.
    Okay. You've made your feelings clear about 100 times. I think every regular poster in AH knows how you feel at this stage. It's not new. Who are you trying to convince here? Sounds like your looking for posters to justify your dislike. Why can't you just feel the way you feel and get on with it?

Yes I have made it clear 100 times, and yet you feel to need to keep butting in and scrutinizing my posts. If you don’t like my posts or disagree with my opinions that’s fine, nobody is asking you to keep responding to me.

As far as generalisations are concerned, I do recall you making a generalisation about South American men. You obviously have an opinion on this based on your experiences. What makes your experiences any more valid than mine? I have my opinions and am perfectly entitled to express them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I know people here might discredit the book itself, but I remember talking to Neil Strauss (who wrote 'The Game'). Now whether you like/agree with his philosophies or whatever is irrelevant here, he does go around the world and, even years after releasing the book, still get approached by young men who have trouble with women.

He made a very good point: "Every guy in every country in the world thinks the girls in his town/country are the worst."

Women, by and large, don't change according to where they're from. That is unless you're talking about massive cultural differences in attitudes, like between us and, say, deeply religious Afghan women. Polish and Irish? Nah, not really. Especially if you're talking about Polish girls who've lived in Ireland for years.

What might change is that some may feel more confident in different circumstances.

Like how people may go to college and, all of a sudden, become more outgoing as if by magic. It's not that people in their secondary school were 'bad people' and their college friends are cool. It's that a new set of circumstances enables them to be themselves more. The college people don't know they were a quiet little outcast who was known for picking his nose in a previous life. So they get a second chance.

I imagine that a lot of Irish people feel enabled in this way around women of a different nationality. They build up these BS beliefs that Irish women are horrible and it hampers them in approaching them. Then they build up a similarly BS belief that Polish women would just love a person like them, and all of a sudden they're more attractive.

That doesn't validate their belief. It just proves that 'if you are a more confident, attractive person, you'll be more confident and attractive to the opposite sex.' Simples.

Yes I have made it clear 100 times, and yet you feel to need to keep butting in and scrutinizing my posts. If you don’t like my posts or disagree with my opinions that’s fine, nobody is asking you to keep responding to me.

As far as generalisations are concerned, I do recall you making a generalisation about South American men. You obviously have an opinion on this based on your experiences. What makes your experiences any more valid than mine? I have my opinions and am perfectly entitled to express them.

I said South American men, on the whole, are very macho and they are (and it isn't necessarily a bad thing in moderation). I suppose my experience is slightly more valid than yours because I essentially lived there for one year and know quite a few here in Spain and have gone out with a few also. All part of their culture. I don't think anyone on this planet would argue with me on that point, not even them. :)

You see the difference is, I would never dream of saying South American men are better than Irish men, which is the point you've been making about foreign women v irish women for the past I don't know how many months. I like Latin men...my boyfriend is one but I've never stated here that they're better than Irish men. Big difference.

And I don't keep butting in. I give my opinion the occasional time as your rants are almost daily. I can't keep up with you!

You don't like Irish women (and yeah, Moo is right, I suspect you don't like women generally), so you're going to get a few backs up saying that and you know it....particularly us of the female persuasion. :rolleyes: Your comments are provocative, so obviously people are going to respond.

What gets me is it's almost daily and you're almost on your own at the end of these types of threads ranting away like some cowardly revenge on Irish women who might be posting here. It's more than simply stating an opinion. I suspect you have an agenda. Do you really believe you can make your sly little digs in here and not get on our tits?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

. Do you really believe you can make your sly little digs in here and not get on our tits?

That's been his plan all along. Phnar phnar phnar.

I said South American men, on the whole, are very macho and they are (and it isn't necessarily a bad thing i moderation). I suppose my experience is slightly more valid than yours because I essentially lived there for one year and know quite a few here in Spain and have gone out with a few also. All part of their culture. I don't think anyone on this planet would argue with me on that point, not even them. :)

You see the difference is, I would never dream of saying South American men are better than Irish men, which is the point you've been making about foreign women v irish women for the past I don't know how many months. I like Latin men...my boyfriend is one but I've never stated here that they're better than Irish men. Big difference.

And I don't keep butting in. I give my opinion the occasional time as your rants are almost daily. I can't keep up with you!

You don't like Irish women (and yeah, Moo is right, I suspect you don't like women generally), so you're going to get a few backs up saying that and you know it....particularly us of the female persuasion. :rolleyes: Your comments are provocative, so obviously people are going to respond.

What gets me is it's almost daily and you're almost on your own at the end of these types of threads ranting away like some cowardly revenge on Irish women who might be posting here. Do you really believe you can make your sly little digs in here and not get on our tits?

Well I've worked with Polish people for years and have been in relationships with a few of them, so I don't see how my experience is any less valid. You have scrutinised quite a few of my posts regardless of the topic.

I'm not ranting, I'm describing my experiences. Sure its an unpopular opinion that some will disagree with, but I'm certainly not alone and I know many guys IRL that have the same opinion as myself.

I tell you what... I won't bother commenting on this topic anymore, just for you. It will give you one less thing to complain about.

Well I've worked with Polish people for years and have been in relationships with a few of them, so I don't see how my experience is any less valid. You have scrutinised quite a few of my posts regardless of the topic.

I'm not ranting, I'm describing my experiences. Sure its an unpopular opinion that some will disagree with, but I'm certainly not alone and I know many guys IRL that have the same opinion as myself.

I tell you what... I won't bother commenting on this topic anymore, just for you. It will give you one less thing to complain about.

Nope. I haven't scrutinised quite a few but you keep telling yourself that. The ones I have, well I already explained why.

I've absolutely no problems if you don't contribute to the thread. Perhaps we can have a reasoned discussion instead of every thread relating even vaguely to gender becomes a one man rant on how much he dislikes 50% of the population of the country where this website is based (and who feigns shock and disgust when he gets people's backs up)

And I'm not the moaner here, pal. :cool:

I'm not the moaner here, pal. :cool:

You keep telling yourself that. Don't worry Eve, I won't get on your tits anymore. :cool:

You keep telling yourself that. Don't worry Eve, I won't get on your tits anymore. :cool:

Nice one.

• Advertisement
Advertisement