Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Find My MacBook - forgotten code

• 25-07-2012 2:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 94 ✭✭

In May my MacBook got stolen from me near my house. Naturally at the time, I activated Find My Macbook to track it and lock.
    Unsurprisingly, I got no hits... until yesterday. I sucessfully tracked it down, but in the intervening time, I've forgotten the code I used to lock it.

Anyone got any tips for how to reset the code or get it unlocked?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 951 ✭✭✭MiniNukinfuts

If you tracked it down, can't you go and get it? I'm not sure if there's a way to reset the code without the laptop in person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,586 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Reset the PRAM when booting up (hold P+R+OPTION+CMD when booting). If that doesn't work, you'll need to add or remove a stick of RAM and do the same.

The latter worked for me on my iMac just last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 94 ✭✭StanMcConnell

If you tracked it down, can't you go and get it? I'm not sure if there's a way to reset the code without the laptop in person.

I have access to it but don't have it yet. It's complicated, bascially someone bought it from one of those dodgy Chinese shops. When he connected it to the Internet, it locked and I got a blip telling me where it is.

Police are involved, me and him have been in contact. It's all very messy. Police are advising him to hold it until they confront the shop.

I have access to it but don't have it yet. It's complicated, bascially someone bought it from one of those dodgy Chinese shops. When he connected it to the Internet, it locked and I got a blip telling me where it is.

Police are involved, me and him have been in contact. It's all very messy. Police are advising him to hold it until they confront the shop.

Ok, I think you should wait so and see how to police resolve this. There's no way to change the code without physical access to the laptop

Ok, I think you should wait so and see how to police resolve this. There's no way to change the code without physical access to the laptop

I have physical access to it.

• Advertisement

I have physical access to it.

Oh sorry, I misread that so.

Do a variation of what Dont be at yourself said.

Remove a stick of ram, start the laptop up. Then force shutdown. Then boot again while holding CMD + ALT + P + R (PRAM Reset). Keep holding those buttons until after you hear the chime 3 times. This should reset the password

Did this and greeted by an unexpected password request.

According to the guys at CompuB, it looks like the Asian shop replaced the logic board and added a firmware password.

If that's actually what happened then you're only option is to bring it back to the shop where it was sold and get them to replace the chip. Have you opened the laptop and confirmed that the chip has been changed? Ring apple and see if they'll repair it for you?

Advertisement