Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Football Rumour Statistics

• 25-07-2012 2:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭

Here football transfer league shows you the stats behind all those rumours that the papers produce. Currently showing paper accuracy and average rumours produced (per day). It goes back as far as the summer transfer window of 2006. Click onto each paper and it will give you a breakdown for different clubs too and if you click onto a club it will give you a breakdown of what players are being rumoured and by who.

A way of passing a bit of time anyway. Here's the link:

http://www.footballtransferleague.co.uk/newspaper_statistics.aspx

The Guardian and Daily Record lead the way with an accuracy rating of just below 34%.

The Daily Mirror lead the way with the most rumours, with a staggering 6,891 although they only have an accuracy rating of just under 21%. Previous to that it was the News of the World leading the way with the most but obviously that's not running any more.

For my own club (Sunderland) it seems the Daily Record also lead the way, with an accuracy rating of 60% (although that is only on 10 reported rumours). For a more broad view, The Guardian are the next best accurate with an accuracy rating of 44.4% from almost 4 times as many rumours.

There are also statistics for websites and other newspapers outside of the UK, although they don't appear to be updated much. The UK based newspapers are definitely updated though.

Other interesting statistics:

Top 10 most rumoured players of the last two weeks: Van Persie, Carroll, Skrtel, Berbatov, Modric, Bendtner, Deulofeu, Babel, Dempsey, Barton.

Top 10 clubs rumoured to be signing the most players in the last two weeks: Spurs (10), Man Utd (9), Fulham (8), Arsenal, Man City, Liverpool (all 7), Newcastle, Chelsea (both 6), Barcelona and QPR (both 5).

Top 10 clubs rumoured to be selling the most players in the last two weeks: Arsenal, Man City, Spurs (all 6), Liverpool (4), Birmingham, Blackburn (both 3), Villa, Celtic, Chelsea and Barcelona (all 2).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I'm actually shocked its so high. I was expecting something like 5%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Paully d genuinely makes the best threads on here

Keep it up sir

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

there's a norwegian (i think) guy who does a blog every year with all the players linked to arsenal over the summer, in's & out's with links to the stories too, i can't find it now but maybe someone knows what i'm on about & can get it

crazy seeing the amount of players that get linked, be's well over a hundred

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Good post Paully D. Would have never thought the rumours figures were that high TBH. :eek:

Will look at in more detail when I get a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

batistuta9 wrote: »
    there's a norwegian (i think) guy who does a blog every year with all the players linked to arsenal over the summer, in's & out's with links to the stories too, i can't find it now but maybe someone knows what i'm on about & can get it

crazy seeing the amount of players that get linked, be's well over a hundred

Is this it mate? Seems to fit the description anyway:

http://arsenalssillyseason.blogspot.ie/

Just had a quick look at the summer 2011 rumours and took me quite a while to scroll to the bottom of the page :pac: There's a cracking one entitled ''a silly season long ago'' from 1997. Some of the players on it bring back good memories.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Paully D wrote: »

Just had a quick look at the summer 2011 rumours and took me quite a while to scroll to the bottom of the page :pac: There's a cracking one entitled ''a silly season long ago'' from 1997. Some of the players on it bring back good memories.

ahahahaha loving the £12m link to barry bannan from last october

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Paully D wrote: »

yeah that's it, i was looking for that a while back too but couldn't find it. good man

164 or there abouts already listed for the 2012 summer rumours :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

the problem with this though, is that a paper can report that a club is interested in a player, the report can be 100% true, but there is no guarantee that it will happen or another club could put in a better offer. if the deal breaks done then, the paper and journo gets attacked.

for example many people were reporting that united were interested in hazard and that they were put off due to agents fees. this was classed as bulls*it by alot, yet ferguson confirmed this last week.

the lucas and RVP rumours were dismissed yet again, ferguson confirmed them. had he not done so, which is unusual for him anyway, both these would have been dismissed as bulls*it if the transfers failed, which is highly possible for both.

and its the same for every club. very few clubs pick just one or two players to sign and get them. most times, there is a shortlist of 7 or 8 players and they maybe lucky to get one or two. to be honest, most reports of rumoured transfers are true, just never happen.

saying that, there are some totally bulls*it ones, which are easy to spot most of the time.

Advertisement