Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying electronics - maybe they are as cheap here at the moment

Options
  • 25-07-2012 8:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,843 ✭✭✭

Just wanted to post here (and would prefer if this wasn't moved to a consumer etc forum as it really ties in with electronics) -

Most of us are used to purchasing a lot of our electronics (Ipads, Tablets, Mobiles, TV's etc) on the net via Amazon/Dabs etc etc.

With the Sterling exchange rate as strong as it is at the moment (we're only getting about 0.77 to the Euro on a purchase) some of this stuff which would have been a fair bit cheaper than purchasing here is now dearer.

For example, I've just purchased a Toshiba AT300 tablet for €399 in DID - cheaper than Amazon/Dabs etc (about €430) simply because the recommended retail price here is stationary while the UK RRP now converts to a much higher Euro price.

So, all I'm saying is...think just a little bit before you purchase online and consider the likes of DID/Powercity etc - they just might be cheaper and you get to support Irish jobs.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Don't know about b&m but I bought a router from Komplett which worked out about €5 cheaper than Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭kenyard

interesting topic, i also noticed this.
    to be honest its not even about the exchange rate at the moment. lots of stores can match the online prices on the bigger value items. laptops etc are pretty much the same cost in stores, the only issue i have is they generally tend to be a lot behind in the technology offered (2nd gen i3,i5 were out 6 months before they became readily available here)
    to me at the minute the main differences in price are in the cables and accessories.. its nigh impossible to find cheap hdmi cables, scart adapters etc for a reasonable price in ireland. i generally have them lying around handy to hook stuff up e.g hdmi, if i have family over they think oh wow i could do with one of those and ask about the price i usually say 5-10 euro or whatever, then they offer me that for it or say where.. and get annoyed when theyre 25 in a store. or pay 40 and say theirs is gold plated and guy in store said its better and i dont even bother getting into arguments about for digital that not mattering
    also sd cards, usb sticks etc.. you are looking at 100% increase in price in a lot of cases if not more. i remember seeing a slower version of my sd card i got for 11 online for 45 euro in a store.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Oddly enough I was listening to the radio in the car the other day and an economist was saying that while Ireland was dearer for a lot of items atm it was cheaper than most places for electronics . I was sceptical but then when I bought my Nexus 7 it was cheaper in HMV than the correct exchange rate for the UK .

Advertisement