Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bord Gais Level Pay

Options
  • 25-07-2012 8:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭

Got a call a few weeks ago from BG offer me their "Level Pay" service for electricity, where they take an agreed amount from your DD every month, based on the previous year's estimates, instead of you paying the actual amount due every two months.

I made it pretty clear at the time that I wasn't interested, and wanted to just pay them what I owe every month.

Of course, that didn't stop them going ahead with it and taking an extra direct debit out of my account this month.

Just a heads up for anyone else who might have got a call about it and turned it down, keep an eye on your bank account.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Dietsquirt

MOH wrote: »
    Got a call a few weeks ago from BG offer me their "Level Pay" service for electricity, where they take an agreed amount from your DD every month, based on the previous year's estimates, instead of you paying the actual amount due every two months.

I made it pretty clear at the time that I wasn't interested, and wanted to just pay them what I owe every month.

Of course, that didn't stop them going ahead with it and taking an extra direct debit out of my account this month.

Just a heads up for anyone else who might have got a call about it and turned it down, keep an eye on your bank account.

Hi
    I work with Bord Gais, not the department you're referring to. They take things like this very seriously. If you complain, they can check who put you on the plan and if you clearly said 'no' on the call, the member of staff will be cautioned (or worse)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

sounds very similar to the payment plan that Airtricity use.
    you were right OP to turn it down, as you can get hit with one very big bill at the end of the year.
    and I hope you get the problem sorted quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

Yeah we signed up for what I think was the same. My friend heard it wrong and thought we would only have to pay €37 per month and then nothing else. All was going great until we were moving out and had to foot the rest of the bill. €358.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

I got at least 3 calls like this in the last few weeks I told them 1) I wasn't interested 2) they shouldn't be cold calling me.

I e-mailed Customer Service and made an official complaint and asked that my number be removed from any spreadsheet they have so I will just wait and see if they have the cojones to call back again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Dietsquirt wrote: »
    Hi
    I work with Bord Gais, not the department you're referring to. They take things like this very seriously. If you complain, they can check who put you on the plan and if you clearly said 'no' on the call, the member of staff will be cautioned (or worse)

I did complain, over a week ago, and they've completely ignored it.

I'm cancelling my DD tomorrow morning, might encourage them to respond.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Melendez wrote: »
    I'm only cancelling the DD - I'll still pay them on time, just not by DD. I'm under no obligation to pay by direct debit. I've already given them over a week's notice that I'm cancelling it, and I'll give them further notice that I have actually cancelled it. If they want to charge me more because I'm not paying by DD, that's fine, I'm on the point of leaving them anyway.
    How did you complain? Phone/email? It might be already resolved without them letting you know. Next bill might be the actual amount used and the overpayment this period used as a credit. If they are refunding you the overcollected amount it would take more than a week.

Make a pleasant phone call, get the support person's name or id, make it clear you are expecting them to personally follow up, get a time period for resolution and call back yourself if they fail to do so.

I complained by email. I'm not dealing with them on the phone any more, since in both this case and a previous issue a couple of months ago they've ignored what I was saying. Last time it was a ridiculously pushy boiler service offer where the guy, after repeatedly being told we didn't want it, said he'd schedule it anyway. I want written documentation of all contact with them from now on.

The issue hasn't been resolved, since the issue is that I want an explanation of why they changed my billing plan and direct debit dates when I explicitly told them that I wasn't agreeing to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

On the the topic of this "level pay" payment plan, just signing up to it now for just gas, based on current readings we're goin to pay €10 a month (this includes the 20% estimate extra for excess, its just a really well positioned apartment) and this way dont have to fork over a €200 deposit for setting up DD. Considering the apartment is roasting and the heating wont be turned on for at least another 3/4 months due to being surrounded by other apartments. I can keep an eye on the usage if the winter does get very cold and usage is heavier. Am i missing something or is this too convenient when i was looking to switching to electric ireland for gas due to that huge deposit amount?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭grange mac

Melendez wrote: »

Me too....always knew this house was an " expensive product" of the boom:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

Deco99 wrote: »
    On the the topic of this "level pay" payment plan, just signing up to it now for just gas, based on current readings we're goin to pay €10 a month (this includes the 20% estimate extra for excess, its just a really well positioned apartment) and this way dont have to fork over a €200 deposit for setting up DD. Considering the apartment is roasting and the heating wont be turned on for at least another 3/4 months due to being surrounded by other apartments. I can keep an eye on the usage if the winter does get very cold and usage is heavier. Am i missing something or is this too convenient when i was looking to switching to electric ireland for gas due to that huge deposit amount?

Just be careful. Read my comment above about this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

I just signed up for this. They said a reading is taken every 6 months so not sure how people are getting hit after 12 months?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

double GG wrote: »
    Just be careful. Read my comment above about this.

Cheers, i did say i was goin to keep an eye on the usage so cant see any unforeseen or scary bills, if we go over it (which we prob will) we'll know how much based on meter reading. way i see it now is we get to put tenner a month away towards the winters bill and we'll pay that after. i'll let ye know how it goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

double GG wrote: »
    Yeah we signed up for what I think was the same. My friend heard it wrong and thought we would only have to pay €37 per month and then nothing else. All was going great until we were moving out and had to foot the rest of the bill. €358.
    Seems your friend heard what they wanted to hear - if a customer pays €37 per month and uses as much energy as they wish, then they are obviously underpaying. It seems that particular plan was badly arranged.
    Some people find this system convenient because it means they know what's being charged to them every month. And overpaying in the summer means banking credit for the winter. But if usage goes up, the among needs to be renegotiated.

Advertisement