Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC down for 24 hours

Options
  • 25-07-2012 9:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭

just wondering if anyone in the Ballybricken area been without there UPC broadband from 8.00am yesterday morning to 8.00am this morning.

Was in touch with UPC and they said nothing was reported in the area, and unless they got three calls from the same location they would not send an engineer out to investigate. They booked a technician alright for me.

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Nope. Was working perfectly for me. Even tested out the on demand yolkey. (On TV but bb was up & running too)
    Piss all selection but it works!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

I'm curious at the loss, had there been an issue with the equipment or box outside my home, i'd have seen the engineer.

So i'm thinking it must have been further away, but technical support said there was no works being done in Waterford yesterday.

i was without MW3 for 24 hours, i was climbing the walls. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Appleblossom42

No I'm up that way and everything was fine. On Demand nice to have, some decent box sets, Black Adder, Cheers etc. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭mecco

On demand is in Waterford now? Interesting! They had Autumn listed on their website!

a technician just rang and asked was my broadband still down. I said it was back and i enquired as to was there work in the area and he informed me that yesterday, engineers were in the area upgrading the lines for "On Demand" and "100-meg broadband"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

People brag about UPC being better than Eircom in terms of speeds, but by jaysus I hope I never have to swap over to them seeings as they seem to be down every second day. Ridiculous service imo.

cocoshovel wrote: »
    People brag about UPC being better than Eircom in terms of speeds, but by jaysus I hope I never have to swap over to them seeings as they seem to be down every second day. Ridiculous service imo.

well to be fair, this is the first in my 6 years with them that the broadband has been down for 24 hours. i can count on on one hand how many times the broadband has been down in 6 years.

Just wish there customer service was way better, technical support had no knowledge of works in the area. Works like upgrading the network lines would be planned well in advance, a simple automated email to customers in possible affected areas, would go a long way.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Kracken

there customer service is new, based in limerick now. They have new staff so the knowledge retention is pretty low...

I have only had 2 instances of loss of service, one was down to eircom changing the poles...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Was on the UPC site the other day, there is an option to support person live, so clicked on the link.

A support person typed in the window and asked how could they help me.

Me - Q1: I asked about my options for upgrading to digital + box
    Support Person: Please call 1908 about this

Me - Q2: Can you cancel one of my multiroom connections

Me - Q3: What internet speeds are available in my area, gave address

I was like, are there any questions you can you actually answer?? :confused: :rolleyes:

ToxicPaddy wrote: »
    Was on the UPC site the other day, there is an option to support person live, so clicked on the link.

A support person typed in the window and asked how could they help me.

Me - Q1: I asked about my options for upgrading to digital + box

Me - Q2: Can you cancel one of my multiroom connections

Me - Q3: What internet speeds are available in my area, gave address

I was like, are there any questions you can you actually answer?? :confused: :rolleyes:

Should have then asked "can i order a big mac and fries", probable have said "Please call 1908 about this"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

My aunt has Eircom in Butlerstown. Shes been told her line can get 1M but she only get 0.1M. And has to pay it anyway. Now there's ridiculous.

7upfree wrote: »
    My aunt has Eircom in Butlerstown. Shes been told her line can get 1M but she only get 0.1M. And has to pay it anyway. Now there's ridiculous.

thats a disgraceful speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Is she still on dial up by any chance? :pac: Im not saying Eircom are good or anything, but it seems to me from what I hear from people, and from what I see on this forum and other boards forums that UPC goes down often enough. Eircom has never gone down for me in 3 years, but Im getting low enough speeds. 6mb down at most, maxing at 600kb/s for torrents which is allllllright. I can deal with it. The upload speed is ridiculous though. something like 0.40kb.

What kind of latency would you be getting on games with UPC? I get about 60-80.

Is she still on dial up by any chance? :pac:

I think I'm too young to know what that is........:pac:

i've never been happier with upc, speed is amazing

2083863390.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

for the on demand, do you have to switch off the box and back on again as its not workingon mine? Got a mail to say it was on...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Does everyone get it or just customers on a certain package? coz I dont have it yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

its 4.71e extra for the privilige of having on demand etc from august added to your bill,got an email from upc the other day.

Is she still on dial up by any chance? :pac: Im not saying Eircom are good or anything, but it seems to me from what I hear from people, and from what I see on this forum and other boards forums that UPC goes down often enough. Eircom has never gone down for me in 3 years, but Im getting low enough speeds. 6mb down at most, maxing at 600kb/s for torrents which is allllllright. I can deal with it. The upload speed is ridiculous though. something like 0.40kb.

What kind of latency would you be getting on games with UPC? I get about 60-80.

I had to find out how to do this...:o make any sense?

2084028806.png

anplaya wrote: »
    its 4.71e extra for the privilige of having on demand etc from august added to your bill,got an email from upc the other day.

This help?

http://www.upc.ie/television/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Supersiderman

Never again will I go with UPC, I have been down for a week or so. Promised me everyday that it would be back running the next day, then the next day came and it was going to be the following day. I had enough. Rang them and told them to pick up the box.
    With sky and very happy that I decided to change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

ye but thats for a new customer not an existing one.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

BSkyB is to enter the Irish broadband and telephony market later this year, it was announced today.

The company will open a dedicated Customer Contact Centre for Irish customers, at Burlington Plaza, Dublin in September.

This will see its workforce increase to 900 people over the next 18 months. Recruitment for the new positions, which were announced earlier this year, is currently underway and interested applicants can visit www.workforsky.com for more information.

The new services will allow existing Sky customers in Ireland to unite their television services with a range of telephone and broadband packages.

JD Buckley, managing director of Sky Ireland, said: "We’ve been looking at how best to bring our customers more choice and better value in broadband and talk. We’re confident of delivering the right products at the right prices so customers have a real alternative to the incumbent services they’ve been used to.

"We are excited to be broadening the range of products we are able to offer our customers and at deepening our relationship with them. We look forward to delivering the innovative products, better value and great customer service that consumers have come to expect from Sky."

Source: http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/sky-to-launch-phone-and-internet-services-in-ireland-560692.html

This could impact UPC big time if Sky come in heavy.

Sully wrote: »

Says here you still have to have an Eircom phone to work it?

And if that's the case I'll pass my boyfriend has 3mg broadband from eircom but lucky to get .2mg most of the time. The broadband mysteriously goes off and while you'r ringing about it it magically comes back on. His brother has mobile broadband from 3 that's bloody Faster than eircom.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056711409

broadband has been moving at a snails pace today. 10ms ping, 0.23mb download, 3.15mb upload.

Only the download is affected. Rang again and booked another technician for Wednesday. Again they say no work being done in the area. :rolleyes:

Technical Support says, ahh it must be your PC. I say its same on my Laptop. Ahh then its your modem.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Anyone elses upc on demand not being very responsive to my demand?! Its freezing here on dunmore road!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭south

on demand doesn't work for me either

Tv picture is breaking up a lot which is annoying.

Sully wrote: »
    Anyone elses upc on demand not being very responsive to my demand?! Its freezing here on dunmore road!

Working fine here in johns hill. So handy am loving this on demand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Ellie1984

for the on demand, do you have to switch off the box and back on again as its not workingon mine? Got a mail to say it was on...

To get the On Demand service you need two things:
    - a UPC box (e.g. a box with the UPC logo on the front. NTL or Chorus boxes do not count. To make it simple recording and HD boxes and the basic UPC digital box work, the other ones don't)
    - to leave in a place where broadband and phone are available (generally speaking in Waterford, if you get the signal from a cable on the road you're fine, if you get the signal from an aerial on the roof you're out)

If your service matches the two requirements and you still cannot get on demand, then go onto channel 999 and run a test on the signal and then ring them.

Advertisement