Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP !!!External Hard Drive stopped working

Options
  • 25-07-2012 9:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

I have an Iomega 500gig External Hard Drive that was working fine up to yesterday. Last night plugged it into my laptop and all i keep getting is a beeping sound from it and nothing else. I'm not really pushed for 80% of the data on it but there is some ireplaceable photo's and video footage. Can this be repaired or retrieved anyone ????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

Yes it can but it's very expensive if the HD is damaged. Plug it in to a PC running ubuntu if that doesn't recognise it you're looking at data recovery - use google to find companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 1 ate e bhoy

yeppydeppy wrote: »
    Yes it can but it's very expensive if the HD is damaged. Plug it in to a PC running ubuntu if that doesn't recognise it you're looking at data recovery - use google to find companies.

Cheers yeppy i'll give it a go

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

You can buy a sata caddy 2.5inch ,15 euro, take out the hard drive, put it in the caddy.Be gentle,dont touch the pcb, drive circuit board.
    All thats in the external drive,case ,is a pcb ,that connects onto the sata
    hard disk.
    the drive could be connected to a pc,most pcs, have 2 cables free, one sata power cable, sata data cable to motherboard.
    Or use the 2 cables from the sata dvdrom drive,
    try it in a netcafe or library pc.
    it maybe loose in the case.ie loose data or power connection.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxUmwqvW6Sg
    how to use install a hardrive in a sata caddy,
    make sure drive is 2.5 inch, before you buy a caddy, my external drive uses a 3.5inch drive sata.
    i,m not sure if a 3.5inch sata drive will work in a caddy , ie caddys use usb cable for power, thats ok for 2.5inch sata drive
    3.5inch drives may need a proper power supply, or a sata power cable
    from a pc power supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭arodabomb

riclad wrote: »
    make sure drive is 2.5 inch, before you buy a caddy, my external drive uses a 3.5inch drive sata.
    i,m not sure if a 3.5inch sata drive will work in a caddy , ie caddys use usb cable for power, thats ok for 2.5inch sata drive
    from a pc power supply.

You can get 3.5" caddies too. They just come with their own power supply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 1 ate e bhoy

riclad wrote: »
    from a pc power supply.
    Cheers for that if its not the problem its worth knowing anyway !!!!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Hmm beeping sounds more like it could be power board failure, the drive may be alright, you can get devices on ebay for a tenner or so to plug an internal hard disk (open the drive casing and remove the 3.5"/2.5" drive) direct into a usb port, I will send on a reccomendation if you like

Nick

if drive is over 500gig its likely to be 3.5inch in size.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

.... Can this be repaired or retrieved anyone ????

It will come down to how much you willing to spend on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

• Advertisement

Try putting it in a caddy, if 3.5inch disk, you,ll need a caddy with power supply.
    or use a power sata cable, from a pc,
    my pc has a spare sata data,cable and 1
    sata power cable,
    ie 2 spare cables,
    or buy something like,this,
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/3-5-inch-SATA-HDD-USB-2-0-Enclosure-Caddy-06-/370549114865#ht_2450wt_802

in my experience ,3.5inch drives need a power supply,
    2,5inch drive will work fine ,on a usb cable,
    for power ,and data to pc,
    ie 1usb cable does everything for a 2.5inch drive.
    its impossible to say if it can be fixed,
    from the info you have posted.

its possible to relace the pcb board on a hardrive,
    if drive is mechanically damaged,its more expensive to fix it.

i tested a 500meg sata 3.5inch. drive, in my pc,

it says drive not recognised.or no media on drive f,
    the drive is 4 years old.

so you, need to attach it to a pc, or else buy a caddy to find out if drive is alive.
    or you could get one of these,
    works on 2.5 or 3.5 inch sata or ide drive,
    cost 50 euro approx.
    http://www.sharkoon.com/?q=en/node/1269
    comes with a power supply.
    No drivers needed for Windows ME/2000/XP/Vista/7, Mac OS X and higher

do not plug in drive to any pc, when pc is on,
    UNLESS you are just attaching with 1 usb cable,
    for data,power,for a 2.5inch drive.
    i could not acess my 80gig sata drive ,
    i put it in a caddy and now it works fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

with Iomega they are not that Great of a product.. Had 2 and they kept crashing..

if the Recover does not work i would Format that and they will work again.. Some Read/Write Error damage could be the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

Cork24 wrote: »
    with Iomega they are not that Great of a product.. Had 2 and they kept crashing..

if the Recover does not work i would Format that and they will work again.. Some Read/Write Error damage could be the problem

disagree there, i have 2 500gb iomega, my oldest was bought in 2008 and is still going strong.

I find many just pull out the USB from there PC, instead of going through the correct procedure of removal, that messes up firmware.

If you do not use remove device option, eject hardrive device,eg remove drive safely,in windows 7, or windows xp IT may cause loss of data ,it should not effect the firmware ,The firmware is a program,software layer on a chip on the drive pcb board.
    All drives wear out at some point ,a drive is a pcb board on top of a sealed case with drive platters .
    if you have important data it should be copied on at least 2 drives ,or on dropbox, google drive etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

actually the purpose of the firmware is to command the drive to establish a connection, it also controls the disk speed and most importantly data location. The chip is actually a EPROM module, if this cycle is interrupted (by yanking out the USB), the firmware can indeed be corrupted.

you might think that when your finishing writing to the HD that theres nothing being transfered. When in fact there is still an interaction going on between the firmware and software on the PC, the purpose behind this, is that if you decide to write some more data, it starts writing instantly. Severing that connection is problematic.

I have 2 iomega drives,bought 2008 ,still working fine.
    EASIEST thing is install drive in a pc, use dvdrom,data ,power cables.
    Knock off pc,remove power cable fro esb socket First.
    IF drive works,shows up ,in my computer,
    buy a 3.5inch caddy.

Advertisement