Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DSL / Internet drops

Options
  • 25-07-2012 9:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hi guys,

Hope you may be able to help me. My parents have a 20Mb DSL connection in their house. They had previously told me that from time to time it just stops working. However, when I have been up to their house to take a look, it always seems fine to me... its was working away.

However, last night I was in the house when the problem occurred. I was using some fairly light web pages (facebook & gmail I think) and then the connection seemed to stop... after a few seconds my browser window was redirected to the Netopia management screen from the router. It reported that the DSL was available but eircom broadand status was Disconnected. The Internet light on the front on the modem was red instead of the the usual green.

I turned off the modem, checked all the connections, filters etc and turned back on the modem. The connection started up ok but a few minutes later it died again with the same symptoms as before. I left it alone (was going out) and this morning all is well again... if a little slow.

Has anyone come across this before? Any ideas how to remedy?

cheers,

Paul.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 PaulDalyRoI

Little update...

it just happened again! The phone rang here, I went to answer it, when I got back to the computer (30 seconds) the DSL was down... it came back up after a minute or so.

Hardly a coincidence...

so after it reconnected.. I made a call out ... same thing happened.

Not sure what the problem is... all the filters etc appear OK.. nothing has changed on this setup for years!

cheers,

Paul.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭eircom: James

Little update...

it just happened again! The phone rang here, I went to answer it, when I got back to the computer (30 seconds) the DSL was down... it came back up after a minute or so.

Hardly a coincidence...

so after it reconnected.. I made a call out ... same thing happened.

Not sure what the problem is... all the filters etc appear OK.. nothing has changed on this setup for years!

cheers,

Paul.

Hi Paul,

From what you say here it seems that you have a faulty DSL filter somewhere in the setup. This will cause the phone and broadband signals to interfere with each other. Try connecting the modem only to the main socket and leave it up and running for a while to monitor the connection. At this point, contact broadband support on 1890 260 260 and they will run some tests for you. I would normally suggest that you PM us the details but if the filters are indeed the problem then support will send replacements while you speak to them. I would have to do this either way so I think speaking to them directly would be the quickest way to get sorted. They open from 8am - 10pm, 7 days. Let us know how it goes for you.

Regards

James

great, thanks James. I'll give them a shout tonight.

cheers,

Paul.

Just to update... I was on to customer service last week and after finally convincing the guy that the 15meter phone cable between the socket and router was not the issue (since it's been like that from 2005 when broadband was installed in the house!), he agreed to send me out a replacement filter.

Still waiting for it to arrive, but fingers crossed it will resolve the issue.

cheers,

Paul.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

Just to update... I was on to customer service last week and after finally convincing the guy that the 15meter phone cable between the socket and router was not the issue (since it's been like that from 2005 when broadband was installed in the house!), he agreed to send me out a replacement filter.

Still waiting for it to arrive, but fingers crossed it will resolve the issue.

cheers,

Paul.

Hi Paul,

Can you PM me with your telephone number or eircom account number so I can see if I can track the splitters.

Thanks, Mark

• Advertisement

Hi Mark,

got the new filters yesterday and replaced the one i suspect was causing the problem. So far so good - no drop outs since (that i have noticed!!)

thanks for ur help!

Paul

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭eircom: James

Hi Mark,

got the new filters yesterday and replaced the one i suspect was causing the problem. So far so good - no drop outs since (that i have noticed!!)

thanks for ur help!

Paul

No problem Paul,

Thanks for getting back to us. Have passed your comments onto Mark. If there's any further hassle with it you know where we are!

James

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭harpstilidie

Seem to be having the same problem here. My parents got a new eircom house phone and ever since it has been connected the DSL/Internet drops every time the phone is answered. Can anyone help please? I assume we need a new filter?

Thanks,
    Dan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Seem to be having the same problem here. My parents got a new eircom house phone and ever since it has been connected the DSL/Internet drops every time the phone is answered. Can anyone help please? I assume we need a new filter?

Thanks,
    Dan.
    Hi harpstilidie

You may need a new filter however in 90% of the cases in which this occurs it's usually the internal setup of the modem and phone line at your socket. Please follow this link for advice and steps to take in resolving this issue: http://community.eircom.net/t5/Broadband/Quick-Broadband-Check/m-p/17214 .

If the advice provided through this link does not eircom broadband support can be contacted on 1890260260.

Thanks

Al

Advertisement