Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo Co Co Call for Clampdown on overnight parking

Options
  • 25-07-2012 9:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭

No surprises as to who is behind this call. Wouldn't we all be successful business men if we could get the council to legislate that users have to use our services instead of having to create value for the customer.

MayoNews.jpg
    This is from the Mayo News last week. Interestingly one of their rival newspapers, the Mayo Advertiser, ran an editorial the same week titled "Let's make Mayo the tourism capital of Ireland."

Anyway, folks not much point giving out about it here time to make your views known to Mayo Co Co. When doing so remember that Mayo Co Co (through their partnership with Crossmolina Community Development) have already implemented one Aire de Service at Crossmolina.

If you are a member of a club please make sure that your club is informed of this. Also if you are active on other forums.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Ildere

I would not attempt to defend anybody who parks a camper van outside of a campsite and enters to use the facilities for free. And if the man is truthful, who would want to associated with people who tell him to eff off when he confronts them. Would I want to be identified with people like that, No I would not.

And I understand the point you are making about campsite owners who try to use the law to bolster their income.

That campsite owner and others should take a lead from the leaders in this, in France many campsites offer an area just inside the gate for Motorhomes, no hook up, with use of the facilities from say 6pm to 10am for about half the normal price.

He wont succeed in forcing people in but he might succeed in enticing people in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

Brilliant isn't it:mad:.

As if we didn't have enough problems with parking, people go and behave in this manner. Always assuming that the site owner is telling the truth, and we've no reason to believe that he's not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Ildere wrote: »
    .................................That campsite owner and others should take a lead from the leaders in this, in France many campsites offer an area just inside the gate for Motorhomes, no hook up, with use of the facilities from say 6pm to 10am for about half the normal price..........................

You mean like HERE. We stayed there for a night last April but used their Aire outside the gate, but still part of the overall property. At €7 it was about half the price of a pitch in the camp-site proper but had ehu and access to its own separate shower/toilet facility. the maximum say on the Aire section is three night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

Maybe just maybe their businesses are on their knees because of the feckin recession like everyone else's business. And because of the awful summers we've had. We actually sank about 6inches into the grass at a campsite at the weekend the owner said it hasn't been that bad since the 70s.

Landlords have been forced to drop their rents hotels have slashed their prices but campsites are more expensive than ever.

We had three star hotels for 5 of us for between 40 and 50 euros per night with supervalu all last summer campsites were 27 to 35 euro when you factor in fuel it was cheaper to leave the van.
    /
    Count the empty spaces in the campsites and count the vans parking in public spaces it doesn't add up. We were at rosses point a few weeks ago the place was empty and there were only 4 vans in the car park. Never seen it that quiet.

niloc1951 wrote: »
    You mean like HERE. We stayed there for a night last April but used their Aire outside the gate, but still part of the overall property. At €7 it was about half the price of a pitch in the camp-site proper but had ehu and access to its own separate shower/toilet facility. the maximum say on the Aire section is three night.

Yes, and if I had the problem that the Achill man says he has, then instead of expecting the world to change to suit me, I would have a go at changing something in order to suit the world.
    But I wont hold my breath.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Bessa

We were disgusted two weeks ago, when parked up overnight at a very nice harbour on the Shannon. Four vans would have overnighted there. Two vans had NI plates, and before one of them pulled out the next morning, he let the waste water out on the ground,and he did not care who was looking at him. Now it's the likes of people like him that get us all a bad name, and of course the over head barriers to keep us out.

Bessa wrote: »
    We were disgusted two weeks ago, when parked up overnight at a very nice harbour on the Shannon. Four vans would have overnighted there. Two vans had NI plates, and before one of them pulled out the next morning, he let the waste water out on the ground,and he did not care who was looking at him. Now it's the likes of people like him that get us all a bad name, and of course the over head barriers to keep us out.

Perhaps we should start a 'name and shame' thread on this forum.
    This gobsh1te could be number one if you got his reg number.

I would suggest a separate thread for postings listing Make Model and Reg. No. with date and location of offence.

On a serious note such an action leaves a person open to prosecution under LITTER POLLUTION ACT, 1997

I would suggest a separate thread for postings listing Make Model and Reg. No. with date and location of offence.

On a serious note such an action leaves a person open to prosecution under LITTER POLLUTION ACT, 1997

I agree with you, Make Model and Reg would do the job nicely.

Wouldnt confine it to just littering, any kind of behaviour that brings Campervanning into disrepute.

I know that what he did was illegal, but if the water was just from a sink after you've had a wash, what harm does it do?.

I'm still trying to figgure out how to alter my camper to stop having to do this. So far can't find a way!.

• Advertisement

The water itself wouldn't do any harm at all.

Any person passing by at the time, who knows nothing at all about camper vans would be confused as to what exactly was being released from the van, if you know what I mean.

To those who know its only water its just lazy behaviour and to those who don't know it's possibly anti-social, unhygenic and dangerous to the environment AND gets the rest of us a bad name.

I know that what he did was illegal, but if the water was just from a sink after you've had a wash, what harm does it do?.................................................................

Probably not much to the environment, if it was only after a shower or a wash.
    However, if it contained grease and food bits from the washing of kitchen ware then it has the potential to draw vermin and also create a public health hazard.

Apart from environmental reasons another good reason not to dump anything on the public roadway or in parking places is we are only giving the 'anti' brigade ammunition to use against us.

Some pretty obvious answers to my post.

I did only refer to having a wash not washing dishes. When I'm out in my camper I treat each day as a holiday, and I don't cook when I'm on holiday:).

With my small camper I am at a loss as to where I can set up something to catch the water from sink, but I'm working on it.

I am sorry that I did not take down his reg. It was a NI reg, and I also wondered if he would have let the waste go at a harbour up north.

I know that what he did was illegal, but if the water was just from a sink after you've had a wash, what harm does it do?.

I'm still trying to figgure out how to alter my camper to stop having to do this. So far can't find a way!.

He let off gallons of waste, and it can stink. He had no respect for the area,and I hope this type of behaviour does not lead to barriers been erected.

Some pretty obvious answers to my post.

I did only refer to having a wash not washing dishes. When I'm out in my camper I treat each day as a holiday, and I don't cook when I'm on holiday:).

With my small camper I am at a loss as to where I can set up something to catch the water from sink, but I'm working on it.

wastemaster

He let off gallons of waste, and it can stink. He had no respect for the area,and I hope this type of behaviour does not lead to barriers been erected.

Ok, "gallons of waste" is certainly different from a little water that's been used to have a wash in. I totally agree that there is no call for that.

Moodrater, the qustion isn't what to catch the water in, it's a question of there being no-where to fit a container. And yes I know I have to have something, so I'm working at it. The only obvious thing to do is for me to lose half of the cupboard under the sink, but with a small camper like mine that is a lot of space to lose.
    It's test is due next month so if I haven't fixed it we'll see if it's noticed.

See Section 89 HERE, the Regulations on the matter are in plain English and are not open to debate.

See Section 89 HERE, the Regulations on the matter are in plain English and are not open to debate.

This is getting crazy and so off subject!

Yes we know it's illegal, we don't need to have it pointed out to us in plain english or any other language. And, as far as I'm aware, no-one is debating the legality of it.

I, for one, will not be opening that link in order to read something that I already know to be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Ok, "gallons of waste" is certainly different from a little water that's been used to have a wash in. I totally agree that there is no call for that.

Moodrater, the qustion isn't what to catch the water in, it's a question of there being no-where to fit a container. And yes I know I have to have something, so I'm working at it. The only obvious thing to do is for me to lose half of the cupboard under the sink, but with a small camper like mine that is a lot of space to lose.

You could get one of the waste containers that you see under caravans? That should do the trick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

*Kol* wrote: »

You could get one of the waste containers that you see under caravans? That should do the trick.
    We use one of them, even with waste water tank. We position under the tank outflow and leave the tap open. Reduces smells from the tank and it's easier to wheel it over than drive the van over, especially if the sites busy.

Thanks *kol* and Macy0161,

I haven't seen one of those, just how big are they and what are they actually called?.

I'm open to any suggestions thanks.:)

I'm not happy knowing that I'm breaking the law.

Thanks *kol* and Macy0161,

I haven't seen one of those, just how big are they and what are they actually called?.

I'm open to any suggestions thanks.:)

I'm not happy knowing that I'm breaking the law.

THIS is the yoke

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

*Kol* wrote: »
    The fiamma one is what we have. I've seen it sub €40 i think.

Thanks for all the above but no good.
    It looks as though the rear springs would stop it sliding under enough and, also, the size of it. I don't have enough spare room, in fact I have no spare room. There is nowhere in the camper for it even if it fitted under for using.

I'm going to get it over a pit soon to see if there is anyway to fit a small holding tank that could be easily reached for emptying. It only needs to be small, just to hold washing water really. In fact I think a 3litre milk carton would be big enough.
    Then when I get home it can just be emptied straight onto the drive as it won't be smelly in anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭dorts

I am sorry that I did not take down his reg. It was a NI reg, and I also wondered if he would have let the waste go at a harbour up north.
    I'm from NI and I'm sure this guy would have done the same UP NORTH but I have seen people do this everywhere whether it's wrong or not

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭dorts

I'm from NI and I'm sure this guy would have done the same UP NORTH but I have seen people do this everywhere whether it's wrong or not

It looks as though the rear springs would stop it sliding under enough and, also, the size of it. I don't have enough spare room, in fact I have no spare room. There is nowhere in the camper for it even if it fitted under for using.

I'm going to get it over a pit soon to see if there is anyway to fit a small holding tank that could be easily reached for emptying. It only needs to be small, just to hold washing water really. In fact I think a 3litre milk carton would be big enough.
    Then when I get home it can just be emptied straight onto the drive as it won't be smelly in anyway.

Sorry my post was supposed to include a link to the wastemaster its slimmer than all the others expensive but they show up on donedeal, gumtree and adverts regularly around 25-30 euro. You could always go for a flexible tank like they use on boats.they are useful for awkward spaces.
    http://charlescamping.ie/store/index.php/accessories/water/carriers/wastemaster.html

• Advertisement

The one moodrater suggested are quite low height wise when they are slid under. They're quite big width wise though for travel.

Would one of the collapsible water containers do the job? You can pick them up in the €2 shops sometimes, so might be worth a try? I've also seen people use washing up basins (also available collapsible), but you'd need to be somewhere where you can dispose of it before travelling on. A more long term solution might be checking out CAK tanks - they might have one to fit your vehicle anyway.

Advertisement