Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Barcelona

• 25-07-2012 9:58am
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I'm looking to go away for 7-10 days in the beginning of September and wondering what there is to do in Barcelona.

Myself and the wife are mostly interested in culture and history rather than resorts and the likes... and is there any events happening around the first half of September that would be noteworthy?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

OMG, you've found the most cultural city to visit in that case!

We were there about 5 days and loved it. Went to see all the Gaudi buildings. That was my absolute highlight. You can get a pretty decent city guide to Barcelona. The one we borrowed had a recommended walking tour route with explanations about the different sites. The 4 Cats cafe, and all the different buildings and architectures around Las Ramblas.
    Took the metro to Parc Guell and spent the whole day there. It's a really large park and takes quite a while to walk all the different trails. There's a couple of smallish Gaudi museums inside as well. Middle of summer it'll be hot, so bring water and sun hat!
    Got the Teleferico (cable car?) from top of the hill down to the beach. It only takes about 10 mins but is worth it for the view. Also enjoyed walking towards the Maremagnum. It's a shopping centre, but the marina is beautiful to walk and has a lovely breeze.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

Do the Bus tour, they set off from Playa de Catalunaya (city center) and cover huge amounts of the city.
    It will give you an idea of places that you want to go back to.
    You can get off at any of the many stops, visit the sights and get back on the next bus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

One word of caution,guys-keep your wallet in your front pocket
    girls-tight hold onto handbag within the area of Las Ramblas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭kingofburt

There is a great festival in Barcelona towards the end of September, I'm not sure if its too late in the month. The festival is called La Merce and the city pretty much parties for three days and nights. There is loads of really interesting cultural things to see. You can look at the events here http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/events/la-merce/barcelona-la-merce.html

As others have said, bus tours are good, but also check out some walking or cycling tours as the guides can give you more detailed info on a smaller area. As for museums, I haven't a clue but they are generally free admission on the first Sunday of the month, worth remembering!

• Advertisement
Advertisement