Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Feed all the starving babies or send a man to Mars ?

• 25-07-2012 10:32am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

It's Mars for me & by some margin.
    We've been fighting famine all my lifetime & I expect lifetime's to come.
    If you overpopulate an area with fragile resources the consequences are inevitable.
    Traveling to another planet will be a major step for us as a species & could be achieved within 20 years if time & money were prioritised.

It's in our nature to explore, I believe that should become our biggest focus as a people.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

send all the starving babies to mars, problem sorted :cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 307 ✭✭CodyJarrett

Nah, fcuk space exploration: give Mars to the kids instead - fair compromise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Rabidlamb wrote: »

Do you live in Africa?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

smash wrote: »
    Do you live in Africa?

Hardly, with an attitude like mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Money in the form of direct aid is of fnck all use to Africa anyway. It would be better spent on a Mars project rather than simply lining the pockets of charity executives, arms dealers and warlords.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

give the kids a mars bar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Which is more realistic to happen. Africa needs to get itself sorted first, otherwise trying to keep everyone fed would be like the EU bailout packages, throwing money into a black hole that you can't fix because it is not the real problem.

seamus wrote: »
    Money in the form of direct aid is of fnck all use to Africa anyway. It would be better spent on a Mars project rather than simply lining the pockets of charity executives, arms dealers and warlords.
    But then where will the rappers get their bling?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Mars. Sooner or later we'll need to leave earth if we're to survive as a species. Better sooner.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Mars. Sooner or later we'll need to leave earth if we're to survive as a species. Better sooner.
    But most of the planet's surface isn't even populated! We just need to manage and grow more resources.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

If you reduced world defense budgets by half, we could send all the babies to Proxima Centauri. Space program budgets are a hell of a lot smaller than people think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭mickgotsick

DrumSteve wrote: »
    give the kids a mars bar.

Give a kid a mars bar and he'll work, rest and play, for a day...

Give the kid a chocolate factory and he can live on mars bars the rest of his days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

There's only one Mars that I'm interested in, c'mon you little beauty!!!

http://aidanobrienfansite.dinstudio.com/files/mars.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

Do you live in Africa?
    Hardly, with an attitude like mine.

Sounds like a tacit admission by yourself that your own attitude sucks!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

But most of the planet's surface isn't even populated! We just need to manage and grow more resources.

All we need is one major natural disaster and we are all fecked. A random asteroid strike or a super volcano erupting will make an all out nuclear war look like skyfest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Feed the babies.

All we need is one major natural disaster and we are all fecked. A random asteroid strike or a super volcano erupting will make an all out nuclear war look like skyfest.

Yea, but Hollywood has thought me that stuff always happens in the states so we're ok!

P.S. Uranus! Just cos nobody said it yet.

mars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Mars is boring. Let's go to Saturn. I can guarantee we'll find life there. And lots of gas...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Nah, fcuk space exploration: give Mars to the kids instead - fair compromise.
    What if they prefer Twix instead?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Now, this is the plan. Get your ass to Mars!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

foxyboxer wrote: »
    Now, this is the plan. Get your ass to Mars!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Mars, and then I could say "I don't want to live on this planet anymore" and actually mean it when I hop on a ship and give earth the finger as I head off into space.

Throwing money at Africa without any viable solution as to how the countries can help themselves is a waste of money as it gets dispersed all over the place from executives to those in power, leaving the ground staff with pittens to work with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Send Bob Geldof and Bono to Mars on a one way trip?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Feed the chiselers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

It's a false dilemma, there is no reason as to why both can't be done given the vast resources spent on weapons which will never be used and so forth. Strange how it's never "stealth bombers or Mars".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

It's Mars for me & by some margin.
    If you overpopulate an area with fragile resources the consequences are inevitable.
    Traveling to another planet will be a major step for us as a species & could be achieved within 20 years if time & money were prioritised.

It's in our nature to explore, I believe that should become our biggest focus as a people.

High population density is a good thing, part of Africa's problem is its low population density.

New York has close to zero resources, but a very dense population, and works brilliantly. See what I'm getting at :) ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

Probably more chance of surviving a natural disaster on a planet that we know intimately rather than taking our chances on a new world.

Also, I'm not sure why it's an either/or option. We can afford to feed the babies AND go to Mars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Mars is boring. Let's go to Saturn. I can guarantee we'll find life there. And lots of gas...

just once we don't have to go near Uranus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,036 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I don't want to go to Uranus. Too much methane in the atmosphere.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Africa needs to get itself sorted first.

Africa has been deliberately held back the Western world in order to exploit their resources. This has been happening for decades and evidence shows it is still happening. The money and science exists to completely change Africa in to a self sustaining continent and even become a net exporter. What is lacking is the will to do so. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

Feed the babies
    "Babies" hit puberty
    Exponential baby production.

Non merci.

Not to sound like an evil bástard but that's what will happen. The country needs to develop in other ways than just feed the babies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

iamstop wrote: »
    Africa has been deliberately held back the Western world in order to exploit their resources. This has been happening for decades and evidence shows it is still happening. The money and science exists to completely change Africa in to a self sustaining continent and even become a net exporter. What is lacking is the will to do so. :(

Held back by the Western world? You're joking right?

2 "Live" concerts to raise funds, decades of donations to assist them, fundraisers for Africa, the list goes on and on. Billions have been raised and yet here we are in 2012 still watching TV adverts of children with flies all over them and more appeals for help. Where is the all aid gone to? Warlords and countless corrupt individuals in that country.

The western world has done all it can to help the situation in Africa. Its about time Africa sorts itself out or falls trying to do so. It should no longer be our problem.

DarkJager wrote: »

The western world has done all it can to help the situation in Africa. Its about time Africa sorts itself out or falls trying to do so. It should no longer be our problem.

Look into how organisations like the IMF enforced 'free trade' agendas on a lot of countries in Africa. Up until then, some of these countries were experiencing growth, but since adopting a neo-liberal agenda, as dictated to by the IMF, they've run into serious problems. This agenda leads to incredible difficulties in developing sustainable industries, and the countries become ever more dependent on supplying raw materials to the 'developed' world.

The 'charity' aspect glosses over this issue and allows us to say 'we've done what we can'. Which isn't true.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

iamstop wrote: »

And I guess the Chinese are just there for the good of their health...if anyone is exploiting Africa they are.

What has been really holding Africa back are Africans, not some mythical "western" conspiracy, they have hardly helped their own cause by first of all consistently putting one corrupt regime after the other in charge of their states, and secondly, in creating countries based solely in most cases on old colonial dividing lines and failing to go back to the tribal based dividing lines that would have saved tens of millions of lives imo (not that we can criticise too heavily on that score with our "loyalty":rolleyes: to British made county boundaries stymieing proper regional government here, not to mention the crazy Northern ireland border).

If there was such a Western conspired scheme at keeping post-colonial nations from developing then explain how Southeast Asian economies who like their African counterparts, gained independence some 50 to 60 years ago have blossomed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

I don't see the point in sending a human anywhere, really. For the cost of sending one astronaut to Mars we could send probes to every planet, moon, major comet, minor planet and major asteroid in the Solar System. There's nothing a guy (or girl) in a suit can do that a robot could do for a fraction of the cost.

europa11 wrote: »

If there was such a Western conspired scheme at keeping post-colonial nations from developing then explain how Southeast Asian economies, who, like their African counterparts, gained independence some 50 to 60 years ago. Yet SE Asia has blossomed.

Two completely different geographic areas with different histories, so not comparing like with like.

In addition to this, I think you may be forgetting some painful economic hardships experienced by SE Asian countries up to quite recently (again by introducing a more liberal economic agenda).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

goose2005 wrote: »
    I don't see the point in sending a human anywhere, really. For the cost of sending one astronaut to Mars we could send probes to every planet, moon, major comet, minor planet and major asteroid in the Solar System. There's nothing a guy (or girl) in a suit can do that a robot could do for a fraction of the cost.
    Robots can only do what they are programmed and built to do, we can only program and build for the expected, humans can deal with the unexpected. There will be a hell of a lot of "unexpected" out there.
    Though it's not really a "one or the other" situation, an intelligent combination of both will be the way forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Humans have screwed up one planet. I don't see why we should screw up another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

Cianos wrote: »
    High population density is a good thing, part of Africa's problem is its low population density.

New York has close to zero resources, but a very dense population, and works brilliantly. See what I'm getting at :) ?

No?

What about that huge country New York is attached to? I think they have a few resources alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭KenSwee

No Need to debate, we can do both. Both challenges can be used for mutual benefit.
    A Mars mission would also kick start failing economies and industries.
    Drop defensive budgets by 10% in all the major countries around the world and we could easily afford a trip and an end to world poverty. A joint international effort in both cases would see a massive increase in technology and biology development; both needed for the solving of both issues in the OP. Assuming that we are going to Mars to see if it is able to be colonised, we would need a massive increase in the development of GM crops, designed to grow in inhospitable environments. This work would be massively advantageous for poor countries with failed crops and bad infrastructure. From a technology point of view, we would see great advances in day to day uses. The Space/Moon programme saw the invention of velcro, for example. The Mars mission would have a more technology based set up and would see great advances in medical, longevity of life, deep sleep programs, cancer research, Ion power plants, cold fusion, electro magnetic research, solar power and hydrogen fuel replacement. The list is endless and once the technology was made commercial, which would be very fast given that companies like Nokia, Google and Honda would probably be involved in the funding and development, the benefit would spread out across many industries and areas.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Feed the babies and in exchange they sign their lives over to advancing the space program.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If when the next big meteor hits it will wipe out most if not all human life on this planet.

Even the regular supervolcanos like Yellowstone or Tomba will be a difficult crisis.

We need to have a breeding colony off world.

Oddly enough the energy needed to get to Mars isn't a lot more than getting to the moon. Getting back is a tad trickier though.

Actually several asteroid colonies would be handy too.

Re. Kids in Africa, trade not aid. Replace Aid / debt forgiveness with trade and change rules for lending money to dictatorships so that democracies can't be burdened with their debts.

All the aid to Africa is only a fraction of the interest paid on what they owe.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Lord of the Bongs

Sell all the starving babies to the Martians and through inter galactic laws because of our stupid government get only 10% of their entire value back to fund the space programme

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

Wibbs wrote: »

I happy to stick my neck out and say we will never live en masse in deep space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I say go to mars. We're already more than capable of feeding everybody on earth, there's more than enough food to go around we just don't want to share it. Until people change that attitude there's no point trying to save the babies. To mars!
    You can't grow more helium, we're running out of helium damnit! We also won't be able to make use of bigger power sources effectively on earth.

Moving into space takes away many many restrictions, while it may seem that doing things in space is more difficult from down here, living up there could become second nature, all you have to do is have a generation born and raised in space. Manufacturing would be much simpler if we could park our factories next to the asteroid belt. Overpopulation space issue would be a thing of the past and obviously we could finally put a heritage order on planet earth and take the pressure off it trying to support the human race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

Cianos wrote: »

Overpopulation doesn't necessarily relate to density. When we use the word overpopulation in this context it means in relation to resources and sustainability. A lot of African countries are considered overpopulated because they cannot support the population with the resources it has.

New York is densely populated but that doesn't mean it's overpopulated. Its economy can support its entire population.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Humans have screwed up one planet. I don't see why we should screw up another.

I refer you to

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Diapason

This thread wasn't what I was expecting. Where the hell are the bleeding hearts that normally patrol the internet?

Mars all the way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Why send a man to Mars?

Send a woman instead.

At least the place will be nice and tidy by the time the men get there !

• Advertisement
Advertisement