Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gender issues in After Hours - Your feedback requested.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,634 ✭✭✭✭28064212

flyswatter wrote: »
    Especially as one of those forums has a very low tolerance for any humour.
    Which one?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Ryuji_w wrote: »
    I have been lurking for a year or two now and noticed that yes, you do get the messing/blatant bashing at the start of a thread but as it goes on discussion does happen although usually about 5 or so pages in.

And i was thinking that, maybe the mods could implement an idea i had.

Basically if someone wanted a serious discussion they could put something like this [thread title(SD)]
    if they wanted joking and messing [thread title(JAM)]
    and then a combo of the 2 aka general [thread title(G)]
    but with a cap of say the first 10/15 posts for messing after that users are thread banned for breaking that rule

i think this way could also help mods to find the more serious posts that break the charter where if it is in an serious discussion thread they have no excuse or leeway of saying (it's AH what do you expect) while if it was in a joking and messing thread it would be up to the mods to decide or if it was 10/15 of a general thread.

This would help with reported posts as the limits would be clear in a SD thread while in JAM threads it would be up to the mods to decide while in a G thread after the post limit depending on the post up to the mods to decides.

so that my 2 cents :)

If they want a serious discussion though then they should take the thread to the appropriate forum. I dont understand people who post in a non serious forum looking for a serious discussion. Yes serious discussion can happen but only along side the messing. Thats the beauty of the forum, everyone can get involved at any level.

Personally I think serious threads or people looking for serious discussion might be part of the problem. Someone starts a thread about something serious, some people crack a few jokes and next thing ya know its mayhem. Why is the thread in AH at all if AH style posting isnt acceptable in the thread ?

Thats not to say seriously insensitive and fcuked up posts should be allowed. But if there's going to be a line drawn in relation to whats acceptable to post there should be a line for what threads are acceptable for the forum. Otherwise your all but baiting posters with these threads as far as I can see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

Gongoozler wrote: »
    Both sides are around about equally culpable when it comes to sexism and generalisations in AH.

I think people need to stop taking things so personally.

I agree. If it was a personal insult directed at a single poster I'd understand, but some people will take a generalisation and make it personal. There's simply no need for it. Disagree with a poster and get your own point across sure, but unless a post was aimed at you directly, I don't see the point in getting upset over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭BlueSmoker

First off my appolgies I haven't read the rest of this thread, as I was asked for my opinion, and after reading a couple of threads beyond the OP, I thought it might colour my objectiveness.

I don't see it as a major problem, I generally see it as school yard banter and flirting between male and females. (our team is better than your team, pulling of pigtails, surprise kiss the boys school yard type thing) And it can be quite fun and sometimes very funny. (you generally can see these posts as they are just a couple of words/ a sentence or two, just ribbing in general

Were I would have a problem and a very small one at that, is the posters who, are always, putting down the opposite gender, like that "All Irish girls are Bitches" or " All Irish guys are wasters" and that just generally ends up in a spiral of posts ending in personal insults against individual posters.
    You can generally see these posts as they are general, over thought replies and are generally the posters has posted 3 or 4 times already in the thread, with similar seriousness.

As I said these are my generalisations and I find the last one very rare 1 in 10 maybe. (but this is based on mostly reading AH)

As for my dealing of Transgendered (after all we are talking Gender here) issues on boards (AH), I find it probably about the same I would have a problem with 1 in 10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    I agree. If it was a personal insult directed at a single poster I'd understand, but some people will take a generalisation and make it personal. There's simply no need for it. Disagree with a poster and get your own point across sure, but unless a post was aimed at you directly, I don't see the point in getting upset over it.
    Like when a woman says her personal preference (which is something one cannot control) is guys who are taller than her, men who aren't tall shouldn't take it personally?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Onixx wrote: »
    Like when a woman says her personal preference (which is something one cannot control) is guys who are taller than her, men who aren't tall shouldn't take it personally?

obviously

what's your point

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I don't see there being any problem. I'd be very against any sort of tightening up on this, this type of censorship would make AH a less attractive forum to visit. TGC and TLL are also available as gender-positive alternatives to AH.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Red Alert wrote: »
    I don't see there being any problem.
    Then I guess everyone who thinks that there is a problem is wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

I wouldnt get rid of the banter. I would get rid of the anti-Irish women generalisations, ect.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Well yeah but it would depend on how's it phrased. I'm really short myself and I have no problem with any woman having a preference. But again, it depends on context and how they word it.
    Red Alert wrote: »
    I don't see there being any problem. I'd be very against any sort of tightening up on this, this type of censorship would make AH a less attractive forum to visit. TGC and TLL are also available as gender-positive alternatives to AH.

Nobody is saying to make it gender positive, at all. You can put down women or men you had experiences with. But to use an example of what is fine and what isn't:

Well there's a big difference between: I went on the pull and got meeting 5 women, all of them turned to be crazy bitches, ever have a night like that or meet any women like that? and saying "I went on the pull and this bitch turned me down, said I was too ugly, the lot of them are complete bitches far as I'm concerned".

One of them opens a discussion where both men and women can partake and offer support and advice and the other is just going to piss off an entire gender.

That's what I posted in a thread on AH as an example of what should and shouldn't be allowed. Or at least what I find is sexist and is okay to post.

• Advertisement

Well yeah but it would depend on how's it phrased. I'm really short myself and I have no problem with any woman having a preference. But again, it depends on context and how they word it.

Nobody is saying to make it gender positive, at all. You can put down women or men you had experiences with. But to use an example of what is fine and what isn't:

Well there's a big difference between: I went on the pull and got meeting 5 women, all of them turned to be crazy bitches, ever have a night like that or meet any women like that? and saying "I went on the pull and this bitch turned me down, said I was too ugly, the lot of them are complete bitches far as I'm concerned".

One of them opens a discussion where both men and women can partake and offer support and advice and the other is just going to piss off an entire gender.

That's what I posted in a thread on AH as an example of what should and shouldn't be allowed. Or at least what I find is sexist and is okay to post.

But the other one will as you say end the thread for everyone, I assuming your answer was to the bold text I provided ? :)

I never had a problem with poking fun at what is different, gender, race, size, hair/eye colour or even what you are good at in school, your friends anything.
    It's human nature to generalise about things when they first meet new things, we all do that to except what the change is within our lives.

Where it goes really badly wrong is when someone see these differences as a general turth (or as their Turth, because they meet someone like of a different gender, race, size, hair/eye colour or even what you are good at in school, your friends anything.

It is what humans do generalise to understand and learn, it's not alright that we generalisation as a fact or turth, because we meet one of them, or 3 or 10 of, it always the same we learn from are generalisation to except differences

Generalisation is a learning tool, not a fact finding tool. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Angeles wrote: »
    Ok so why does this need to apply to *after hours*?
    Why not, though?
    Angeles wrote: »
    The forum where people in essence let their hair down.
    Sure, but since when did letting your hair down have to include "bashing" as Scioch named it pretty accurately in my opinion. And NB please that it's that kind of stuff which comes from *some* posters that I'm talking about here, not the light-hearted banter. The latter may occasionally cross the line and annoy, but I wouldn't see it as anything like as big an issue as the "bash" brigade, and it's a lot easier to rein back in. Similarly, the eejits I mentioned earlier who have a race to the post to insert the first fatuous comment can be annoying, and I think they do need to be reined in a bit, but again there isn't any malice there and I wouldn't see them as a terribly serious or insoluble problem ... and you're quite right in pointing out that often other posters themselves will do the reining in in those cases.

It's the "bash" brigade who get rightly on my tits tbh, and I honestly don't see how they're a part of either civil discourse OR letting one's hair down.
    Scioch wrote: »
    If they want a serious discussion though then they should take the thread to the appropriate forum. I dont understand people who post in a non serious forum looking for a serious discussion.
    AH was not traditionally a "non-serious" forum per se. Sure, there was lots of room for the non-serious, but there was room for the serious too, and I remember some epic serious discussions in AH in the day that probably wouldn't have fitted anywhere else. And that still happens sometimes to this day, if perhaps less often.

And that really was the purpose of AH as it developed ... a melting pot for stuff which had no other natural home, and yes, which had a slightly looser format as a result, and often, a more irreverent tone. There were always boundaries though, and all we're really discussing here is if the boundaries are in quite the right place at the moment, or whether they need tweaking. Tweaking, not complete re-drawing.

Why not, though? Sure, but since when did letting your hair down have to include "bashing" as Scioch named it pretty accurately in my opinion. And NB please that it's that kind of stuff which comes from *some* posters that I'm talking about here, not the light-hearted banter. The latter may occasionally cross the line and annoy, but I wouldn't see it as anything like as big an issue as the "bash" brigade, and it's a lot easier to rein back in. Similarly, the eejits I mentioned earlier who have a race to the post to insert the first fatuous comment can be annoying, and I think they do need to be reined in a bit, but again there isn't any malice there and I wouldn't see them as a terribly serious or insoluble problem ... and you're quite right in pointing out that often other posters themselves will do the reining in in those cases.

It's the "bash" brigade who get rightly on my tits tbh, and I honestly don't see how they're a part of either civil discourse OR letting one's hair down.

AH was not traditionally a "non-serious" forum per se. Sure, there was lots of room for the non-serious, but there was room for the serious too, and I remember some epic serious discussions in AH in the day that probably wouldn't have fitted anywhere else. And that still happens sometimes to this day, if perhaps less often.

And that really was the purpose of AH as it developed ... a melting pot for stuff which had no other natural home, and yes, which had a slightly looser format as a result, and often, a more irreverent tone. There were always boundaries though, and all we're really discussing here is if the boundaries are in quite the right place at the moment, or whether they need tweaking. Tweaking, not complete re-drawing.

And that is it really being asked, because times change, lets tweak it to the changing times, one left ,one right (sorry I was tweeking an image on the computer today, it still ends up asse ways), but I understand were you are coming from :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Having followed the thread since the OP that's exactly what it looks like is being mooted, and it isn't a good thing.

I've just read this thread fresh (it's 6am) and I come to the same conclusion.

No of course they shouldn't. Why would they? I'm not exactly tall myself and I wouldn't take offence to that. Unless the woman was saying that all short men are stupid, or if the post was aimed directly at me. Just because you have a preference for something, that doesn't mean you're insulting the opposite. You just prefer one thing over another.

If I said I had a preference for curvy women, does that mean I'm insulting skinny women? I honestly don't know how anyone could take offence to something like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Oh right, it's just that your reaction on AH to such a preference being expressed seems to be very much to take it personally - "Maybe you should move to Holland" and such. So your post here looked a bit strange.

People do take it personally when they're part of the group being condemned - that's just the way it goes.

Silly to say don't take it personally if your part of the group it's aimed at.

Yes but how exactly are you insulting one group by saying you have a preference for another? If a woman said she preferred English men over Irish men, am I supposed to jump to the defensive of Irish men, even though she didn't actually say anything bad about the Irish? It's the same with body type. Some women prefer big muscular men, so by your reasoning all slim men should take this personally?

When I told that woman to move to Holland, I meant it out of good humour, as statistically Dutch men are taller. It wasn't meant as an insult. I wasn't offended by her or trying to have a go at her. If she prefers tall men then so be it. It doesn't bother me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Bambi wrote: »
    While we're at it, Can we add northsiders, people in tracksuits, boggers, nordies, people with addictions, Catholic's, Christians, Muslims and Irish people in general to this list of they-who-must-not-baited?

Only seems fair if we're going to have protected groups in AH then we extend it to other groups that are victims of the AH treatment to a far greater degree

kthx

I've suggested this previously, it got ignored too.

Why even bother post a feedback thread when mods already have all of this decided
    IRONY:A site so against ACTA and Internet censorship in general censors to a high degree what people can say, and it's not only the sexism debate

I've suggested this previously, it got ignored too.
    My counter-question got ignored: should we stop protecting racial groups from abuse?
    IRONY:A site so against ACTA and Internet censorship in general censors to a high degree what people can say, and it's not only the sexism debate
    If you want a website where anyone can say anything they want without restriction, start your own, and hire some expensive lawyers.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    My counter-question got ignored: should we stop protecting racial groups from abuse? If you want a website where anyone can say anything they want without restriction, start your own, and hire some expensive lawyers.

Being racist towards a person is illegal, there's a difference
    Making generalisations about women isn't
    Telling people they can't say words like, yore ma, Blast it with piss and cool story bro is ridiculous censorship, the kind that this forum as a whole is supposed to be against.

I started a thread about the above yesterday and it got closed, people arent even allowed to discuss it

• Advertisement

We're not talking about what's legal; we're talking about not being a dick towards entire groups of people. If you think it's OK to be a dick towards women but not OK to be a dick towards black people, can you explain why?
    Telling people they can't say words like, yore ma, Blast it with piss and cool story bro is ridiculous censorship, the kind that this forum as a whole is supposed to be against.
    That's not censorship, that's moderation. Censorship is the suppression of legitimate but contrary points of view; moderation is the attempt to keep the noise level low enough that it's possible to have a conversation.

If, in a social setting, someone kept constantly shouting "yore ma" or "blast it with piss", he'd be told to STFU in short order. That's not censorship; it's removing a disruptive influence. It's a Good Thing.

So, if you can explain how a discussion forum is in some way improved by allowing people to say anything whatsoever they want, no matter how annoying or inappropriate or off-topic, please feel free.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I started a thread about the above yesterday and it got closed, people arent even allowed to discuss it

You're the only person who complained about it and i think you're only doing it because you're attention seeking. Like i said when i closed the thread, if you want a place where blast with piss, cool story bro or yore ma are welcomed, then go to 4Chan, because we won't be changing our minds about it.

Super-Rush wrote: »
    You're the only person who complained about it and i think you're only doing it because you're attention seeking. Like i said when i closed the thread, if you want a place where blast with piss, cool story bro or yore ma are welcomed, then go to 4Chan, because we won't be changing our minds about it.

Real mature response from a moderator

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Bit rich from someone who wants to be able to say blast with piss to people.

Look, with that attitude you're not helping anyone, including yourself.

Besides, (s)he's a mod... not an employee.

In either case, how can you not see the annoyance of

YORE MA LOL

Being in multiple topics? It's just annoying and completely disruptive.
    AH is basically a group of people and a few make jokes, fine. But when you have a bunch of them saying the same thing over and over you'll remove them from your circle if they don't stop because they're being disruptive.

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Bit rich from someone who wants to be able to say blast with piss to people.

I don't want to be able to say it, I don't think it should be censored for the reasons I mentioned above, again great response, you should be proud

Look, with that attitude you're not helping anyone, including yourself.

Besides, (s)he's a mod... not an employee.

In either case, how can you not see the annoyance of

YORE MA LOL

Being in multiple topics? It's just annoying and completely disruptive.
    AH is basically a group of people and a few make jokes, fine. But when you have a bunch of them saying the same thing over and over you'll remove them from your circle if they don't stop because they're being disruptive.

That attitude? It was a reply to someone clearly trying to put me down, personally I don't care what people say on AH
    When you censor words you can't expect people to take you seriously when you publicly speak out against Internet censorship

That attitude? It was a reply to someone clearly trying to put me down, personally I don't care what people say on AH
    When you censor words you can't expect people to take you seriously when you publicly speak out against Internet censorship

Fine I'll go by your way:

Boards it's a private website, leave if you have issues.

Is that what you wanted because that's all you getting now. You've had it explained several times and you're either just trying a tantraum or else are arguing for the sake of arguing even when there's no need.

So whatever your issue is, you got your two answers: they want to keep the disruption to a minimum or they're a bunch of nazis who want to censor their private website and you don't need to stay if you have that much of an issue.

Fine I'll go by your way:

Boards it's a private website, leave if you have issues.

Is that what you wanted because that's all you getting now. You've had it explained several times and you're either just trying a tantraum or else are arguing for the sake of arguing even when there's no need.

So whatever your issue is, you got your two answers: they want to keep the disruption to a minimum or they're a bunch of nazis who want to censor their private website and you don't need to stay if you have that much of an issue.

What a silly response, who are you a re-reg of anyways?
    And one last time I will say
    Its hypocritical to censor words etc. when the site is so against Internet censorship.

• Advertisement

What a silly response, who are you a re-reg of anyways?
    And one last time I will say
    Its hypocritical to censor words etc. when the site is so against Internet censorship.

They're not censoring them, at all. You can say them. You just get punished for it because it's annoying.

If you can't understand that then fine, I don't know how else to explain it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement