Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you partake in the black/shadow/grey economy ?

• 25-07-2012 11:00am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭

Probably can't call it black economy anymore due to the PC anti-racist brigade.
    I'd just like to say I'm whiter that white when it comes to cash in hand work.
    I actually pay my trades folk 23% extra so there's no confusion at the end of a job.
    I trust you will all be soon following my lead.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    I actually pay my trades folk 23% extra so there's no confusion at the end of a job.

I'm not paying anyone anything extra than what they quoted. That's just dumb!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Does black economy include downloading torrents? Other than that, not really. I bought an electric bike recently though, the government can't tax it so it'll probably be seen as an act of terrorism at best and tax evasion at worst.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

smash wrote: »
    I'm not paying anyone anything extra than what they quoted. That's just dumb!

Every penny of that will find it way back to the state, what could go wrong ?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

You're not going to trick me that easily Mrs burton

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Every penny of that will find it way back to the state, what could go wrong ?.

It could find it's way back to the state buy you spending it on something you want or need. Or it could find it's way back to the state through you giving it to someone else for free.

I know what I'd do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Wot? Are you saying that some fictious brigade won't let you use the word black?
    Fuk me I'm just spilt very dark coffee down the front of my snow like shirt.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

Do you partake in the black/shadow/grey economy
    Fuck yea!!!! Cash in hand for people who do jobs for me, cheap tobacco and other smokeables, basically anything I can get cheaper as long as quality isn't affected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

You're getting more paranoid as the rabies takes hold aren't you?

The 50 shades of grey economy is booming at the moment though.

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    You're getting more paranoid as the rabies takes hold aren't you?

The 50 shades of grey economy is booming at the moment though.

Wild figures being plucked out of the air like 5 billion being lost to the exchequer.
    It's when they find 12 marajuna plants & tells us it had a street value of €8.6 million.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I do some nixer work. In 2010 I had a net loss for the year so didn't make a declaration to revenue.

I'm going to jail, aren't I?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

No way. I'm sure my dope dealer is well up to date on his tax affairs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

It's when they find 12 marajuna plants & tells us it had a street value of €8.6 million.:rolleyes:

I always think, "at those prices that weed has got to be way better than what I'm getting."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I revel in it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭bigneacy

Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

It's my right to pay in cash if I want....it's not my fault that the tradesman then doesn't declare it. I wouldn't even know where to find my chequebook....and show me a plumber that will take a credit card!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I think everybody does in some way, shape or form!!!

I know I do anyway!

I need at single panel respray done on a car with some blending in.
    Got quoted €492 for the full price then asked for the cash price which came in at the amazingly round figure of €400.
    So I have €92 extra to spend in the economy, I fail to see any harm in my actions, others may disagree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I've been audited three times in the last three years - this despite having been tax compliant since I set up my business.

When I questioned the Revenue as to how or why I was audited three times in a row, I was told that I was "randomly selected".

What - from a hat with one name in it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I do a lot of 'nixers' and get paid cash-in-hand. It wouldn't even cross my mind to declare it. It's all spent in the 'real' economy anyway so feck it. I certainly don't feel guilty about it.

It pissed me off to hear that British Treasury guy say that cash-in-hand payments were immoral the other day. They may be legally questionable in some cases, but they're not bloody immoral imo. If it's okay for huge MNCs to avail of various loopholes to avoid paying full tax rates then as far as I care, it's okay for me to accept an honest days pay for doing an honest days work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Well I'm a big racist , is that what you mean ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I've been trying to get a stove installed for a few months now, but every plumber appears to be way to busy to do the job for me. Even my own reliable plumber who plumbed the house when it was built, is completely booked out. So if that's anything to go by, then this black economy must be in overdrive right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Lord of the Bongs

This is very controversial. Does anyone know what Vice President Bush called this in the 1980s? Anyone, Anyone?? Something - OO economics? Anyone, anyone? Voodoo economics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I also like to buy my football jerseys online for €15 a go rather than spend €70 in Lifestyle!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

I've been audited three times in the last three years - this despite having been tax compliant since I set up my business.

When I questioned the Revenue as to how or why I was audited three times in a row, I was told that I was "randomly selected".

What - from a hat with one name in it?

I've been reporting you every year. I hate people that don't capitalise their usernames.

kfallon wrote: »
    I also like to buy my football jerseys online for €15 a go rather than spend €70 in Lifestyle!

Wont you be the fool in 20 years time when one of the letters falls off after 1,200 washes.
    In your face then knock off nigel.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

:rolleyes:

If parts count for less than 2/3rd's of the bill you're only supposed to pay 13.5% :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Presumably , like everything, it's cool to pay a bit less when its you thats paying for it, but if your boss turned around tomorrow and said the company you work for was folding and your out of a job because some bloke is undercutting and taking all the customers by not bothering to be insured or pay tax then it's bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭marzic

This was even more prevalent in the boom especially in rural ireland... huge amounts of work was being done for cash. I remember talking to a guy who did pvc gutters facia etc in rural ireland mostly one off houses. He said the people he worked for - both builders and people building by direct labour - mostly wanted to pay him in cash for a discount, but he hated it because he had no outlet for cash, he didnt employ anyone and his suppliers didnt want cash, he lived at home and had no expenses or overheads - just piles of fcuking cash. I asked him for some but he said he didnt have any that day:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

It pissed me off to hear that British Treasury guy say that cash-in-hand payments were immoral the other day. They may be legally questionable in some cases, but they're not bloody immoral imo. If it's okay for huge MNCs to avail of various loopholes to avoid paying full tax rates then as far as I care, it's okay for me to accept an honest days pay for doing an honest days work.

I saw that Sky news report too.

Did you that smug, snot nosed, wimp reporter patronizing that roofer with his back to the camera ?

"But it's illegal". :rolleyes: Prick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

c_man wrote: »
    No way. I'm sure my dope dealer is well up to date on his tax affairs.

Stop. Weed dealers are notorious for filing there tax returns on time

:pac:

Advertisement