Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Single Chop Silage

• 25-07-2012 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Anyone still cutting silage with a single chop harvester? How do ye find it ompared to precision chop or bales?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭flatout11

Pauric Mc wrote: »
    Anyone still cutting silage with a single chop harvester? How do ye find it ompared to precision chop or bales?
    should be no differance in terms of animal performance in cattle - theres a bit if your feeding it to ewes
    practically i would favour PC silage in the pit over single chop or bales for a variety of reasons: easier made, fed etc....

do you make your own or are you getting someone in to cut?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

I'm sure you will find a biased opinion here!!

http://dunmorevintage.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Pauric Mc

Just amusing myself really, I picked up a single chop recently for drawing grass into the cows from an out-lying farm, im on precision chop+ bales for about the last 15 years, know a few still using double chop but was wondering if anyone can compare the single v precision, im not aroung long enough to remember a pit of single chop!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

Pauric Mc wrote: »
    Just amusing myself really, I picked up a single chop recently for drawing grass into the cows from an out-lying farm, im on precision chop+ bales for about the last 15 years, know a few still using double chop but was wondering if anyone can compare the single v precision, im not aroung long enough to remember a pit of single chop!!

i know a lad that sold a single chop a few months ago never even used it,id imagine it would be better quality silage,more dry matter in it,im getting a wagon in this year as i think will be better quality and hope better thrive,i will need to buy a shear grab to pull out of the pit as it would be difficult with a normal grab,but the saving with this operation towards paying a contractor with pc harvester will just about pay for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭20silkcut

Often wondered why they could never make single and double chops with wider working widths. Most single chops are discussed in terms of inches:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Manoffeeling

Is it feasible to use one trailer and empty while hooked to harvester? Silage fields all at yard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Odelay

^^ Not sure how that would work while tipping out? Would it lift the harvester?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Manoffeeling

My dad used to to it with a double chop. The single chop is on the lift arms, (I think)

Is it feasible to use one trailer and empty while hooked to harvester? Silage fields all at yard.

if you have loads of free time probable, you will have to disconnect the pto and the cables/hydraulics each time then reconnect them again...... fun job:rolleyes: you would be better leave a spare tractor in the field

20silkcut wrote: »
    Often wondered why they could never make single and double chops with wider working widths. Most single chops are discussed in terms of inches:eek:
    I would imagine it comes back to power requirement (primarily) these machines were aimed at smaller scale operations for machines >100 hp same prob with the double chop at 6 ft it required a bit of grunt to drive it that wasnt readly available on all farms at the time so a larger version would of suffered.
    also ifd imagine a larger single chop would suffer from issues trying to blow the crop,
    things moved on PC harvesters offered higher output and the option of wilting,
    funny there has been a bit of a swing back to farmers grouping together and doing their own silage up here in the last few years particularly this year

• Advertisement
Advertisement