Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Referred to a pediatrician

Options
  • 25-07-2012 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭

Our baby is 13 weeks old she was in getting her checkup (3 month i think) My wife brought her in . Everything is great with her she doing everything she is supposed to be doin. However, We noticed that she doesnt like the back of her neck touched. as in when we put a vest on her she screams high heavens.

Also in bath is same. At first we thought was something to do with her arms and i would have put crying in bath as normal (this is our first btw!) but this morning the nurse said we should refer her to a pediatrician because she thinks problem if any is with her head. I swear i nearly had heart failure on the phone when wife told me. Im frantic now !

She has always been fussy when been changed but we both just thought she doesnt like it never dreamt could be somthing more.

Anyone else ever exp something similar ? Im panicking here, so is the wife!!!!

Comments

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Poor little mite :( I know it's really upsetting when your little one is not well - our fella went to neo-natal for 48hrs observation and a hape of tests for all sorts of serious stuff when he was 3 days old, but it turned out to be a common benign shake that lots of newborns get.

But, while he slept contendedly, seeing him all hooked up to drips and monitors was upsetting for us. I just had to keep saying that we were lucky that he was being checked out sooner rather than later.

They have got to be over-cautious just in case - babies cant explain what is wrong. Hopefully it will turn out to be something very simple and she will be fixed up in no time. Tough on mammy and daddy though. Try not to panic, and if you are panicking, stay away from Google! it will only throw up serious, obscure illnesses that will freak you out, when in all likelihood your little one will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

they are always overly cautious with all babies, best to try not to worry about it and take it as it comes.

there's a very high chance it's either nothing or something minor that is easy to fix. i really hate tis phrase, but it's all part of "the joys of parenthood". there will always be something and (assuming just an average child) by the time in 18-20 (or 30+ if you're unlucky!) they are leaving home you'll have gone through the ringer a good few times with them, be it medical conditions, or broken bones and cuts etc. sickness and more, it's just part of the process of bringing them into the world and watching them growing up.

as fragile as they are, they are resilient little buggers and will generally recover quicker than adults when it comes to having things wrong with them, so if it does turn out to be something, just be the great parent i know you are (after all, the fact you are so worried says a huge amount about how much you care) and get on with whatever needs doing.

we've already had two separate 1 week stays in temple street in our 1st year so far (one in the ICU) and i know several people now who have had a lot worse than that and when it comes down to it, you just do what good parents always do and get on with it.

it can be tough, but when the alternative is not having kids at all, anyone who knows what it's like to be a parent knows it's not even a choice worth considering for even a second. :)

Advertisement