Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planet & People Geog

• 25-07-2012 11:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭

Hi, is planet and people the core book by sue honan for Geography?
    And then you get another book for elective? Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭shinesun

Anyone at all.? Teacher of Geography or even teacher in school where geography is taught?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 232 ✭✭MegGustaa

This one is the core book, and then you get separate books for options and electives.

Thanks a million MegGustaa. It's hard to know what books to get with Geog.
    There are so many:) thanks again. Really appreciate it.

P.S Do you have to cover pretty much everything in them three books ya?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

You'd have to cover everything in the books - but just a word of warning, make sure you double check with the syllabus to see you've it all covered!! A lot of stuff came up this year that wasn't in a lot of the books. :/ I can see the same happening next year, be sure to be prepared. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

avoid dynamic human/economic geography and pick up exam skills:)

• Advertisement

Sunny!! wrote: »
    avoid dynamic human/economic geography and pick up exam skills:)
    Bad idea, as I said in my above post the exam has had new stuff on it in recent years - I don't know much about the human elective but exam skills wouldn't have saved you in the economic elective this year. A revision book should only be used for revision.

Patchy~ wrote: »
    Bad idea, as I said in my above post the exam has had new stuff on it in recent years - I don't know much about the human elective but exam skills wouldn't have saved you in the economic elective this year. A revision book should only be used for revision.

oh a text but would be needed but i thought it was a poor enough waflly book and badly laid out, our teacher copied stuff out of another book it must be the other one mentioned in this thread, planet and people. I would agree with you, the geography was dodgy this year if you didnt follow the syllabus

oh a text but would be needed but i thought it was a poor enough waflly book and badly laid out, our teacher copied stuff out of another book it must be the other one mentioned in this thread, planet and people. I would agree with you, the geography was dodgy this year if you didnt follow the syllabus
    Hmm, I might be mixing them up too - my teacher had dynamic economic geography but whatever book he was giving us photocopies from was absolutely amazing :D I assumed that was it but yeah, I think it was planet and people. Sure it's all Sue Honan anyway. :P

Hmm, I might be mixing them up too - my teacher had dynamic economic geography but whatever book he was giving us photocopies from was absolutely amazing :D I assumed that was it but yeah, I think it was planet and people. Sure it's all Sue Honan anyway. :P

was a very syllabus driven paper this year, so a warning to future years, was lucky to only get out in one section tbh, damn you waterfall!!

Thanks guys, so I'll be fairly busy with geography!

Was thinking human as elective and geocology as option?

Do you reckon human should be avoided tho sunny?

• Advertisement

shinesun wrote: »
    Thanks guys, so I'll be fairly busy with geography!

Was thinking human as elective and geocology as option?

Do you reckon human should be avoided tho sunny?

oh no the human elective is fine.

its the book thats rubbish http://www.schoolbooks.ie/71250-1419-1-Gill+%26+MacMillan+Dynamic+Human+Geography+School+Book , the content in the elective itself is fine

and yes geoecology is pretty easy and takes the least amount of time my teacher said, thats why most of the country do it.

A class in my school do Culture & Identity and last year a huge amount of them got 80/80 or similar - it's supposed to be waffle, yeah, but it's valid. The questions this year seemed more straightforward than Geoecology too. I didn't do either though so I'm not too sure but it definitely looked more interesting than soils. :P

A class in my school do Culture & Identity and last year a huge amount of them got 80/80 or similar - it's supposed to be waffle, yeah, but it's valid. The questions this year seemed more straightforward than Geoecology too. I didn't do either though so I'm not too sure but it definitely looked more interesting than soils. :P

is it the oceanic environment or something like that you did?

is it the oceanic environment or something like that you did?
    Yeah, it was actually really interesting at times. But the books are awful and you have to use the Internet a lot, and sometimes its rote learning e.g. weather in a depression but at the same time it's like physics and you have to understand the ideas like how a depression forms - and with a bad book/teacher who didnt even understand it, it was really difficult. Definitely to be avoided unless you want marine biology or if you love the ocean. :pac:

Yeah, it was actually really interesting at times. But the books are awful and you have to use the Internet a lot, and sometimes its rote learning e.g. weather in a depression but at the same time it's like physics and you have to understand the ideas like how a depression forms - and with a bad book/teacher who didnt even understand it, it was really difficult. Definitely to be avoided unless you want marine biology or if you love the ocean. :pac:

yes i've heard of people that have done it and havent a good word to say about it. The soils it wrote learning but sure isnt all geography i suppose!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Geo10

Geoecology is a good option because (IMO) it's really interesting and there's a only a certain number of questions they can really ask you (although they varied them a bit this year they were essentially the same questions- 2 were just a bit more specific than usual!) Geoecology consists of 2 parts:
    • Soils (Characteristics, Processes that operate on them, Soil erosion/ Human activity)
    • One Biome e.g. Hot Desert or Tropical Rainforest (Characteristics i.e. flora, fauna, soil, climate & Human Interference)

While we used the "Today's World" books, our teacher was always giving us photocopies from a fantastic book called "Horizons" (which is brand new on the market and is really good!)

I'd definitely recommend "Exam Skills" (helped me out SO much!) but don't become dependent on it because as others have mentioned, they are starting to ask questions on the syllabus that were never seen before e.g. Impact of technology on population growth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 232 ✭✭MegGustaa

Geo10 wrote: »
    Geoecology is a good option because (IMO) it's really interesting and there's a only a certain number of questions they can really ask you (although they varied them a bit this year they were essentially the same questions- 2 were just a bit more specific than usual!) Geoecology consists of 2 parts:
    • Soils (Characteristics, Processes that operate on them, Soil erosion/ Human activity)
    • One Biome e.g. Hot Desert or Tropical Rainforest (Characteristics i.e. flora, fauna, soil, climate & Human Interference)

While we used the "Today's World" books, our teacher was always giving us photocopies from a fantastic book called "Horizons" (which is brand new on the market and is really good!)

I'd definitely recommend "Exam Skills" (helped me out SO much!) but don't become dependent on it because as others have mentioned, they are starting to ask questions on the syllabus that were never seen before e.g. Impact of technology on population growth

IMO Horizons is probably the best book on the market for Geography, and Books 1,2&3 are now available so I think the series covers all the options and electives (I think).

To add to that, steer clear of Today's World, they're awful books with such a lack of information. :L

To add to that, steer clear of Today's World, they're awful books with such a lack of information. :L

i borrowed it off a friend during the year for extra note, and thought it was pretty bad :L

Yeah, it's nicely laid out and has pretty good diagrams but it has about half the SRPs required - the economic elective book has nothing useful either, like I don't even know how it got published. :L

• Advertisement

Yeah, it's nicely laid out and has pretty good diagrams but it has about half the SRPs required - the economic elective book has nothing useful either, like I don't even know how it got published. :L

its not as bad as the dynamic geography books, truly shocking:P

Advertisement