Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shadow transactions

Options
  • 25-07-2012 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭

I've had another of these transactions on my account .
    This is the third time in as many months
    This time for over €700
    I rang now twice to complain about this happening on a now regular basis and ive been promised BOTH times a callback to explain the situation but so far nothing .
    It's day 5 now since the transaction and I've a lot a dd's and payments to make from my account .
    And frankly I'm afraid to use my lazer card incase I'm double charged on everything else I buy .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Linda

Hi working fool,

I apologise that no one has contacted you yet.

You can request a refund of a duplicated transaction by contacting the retailer who took the payments. They can clarify if they have debited two payments or if one was cancelled/voided. If one payment was cancelled by the retailer after we had authorised it, it will take four working days to correct on the system and be credited to your account.

If the two payments are still showing on your account after the four working days, please contact the retailer for a refund or you can fill out a Laser Dispute form in the branch.

I hope this helps.
    Thanks
    Linda

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

I followed this thread from the original in the banking forum and it looks like you are on a wild goose chase man. Hope someone takes accountability of the situation and sorts it for you asap. You shouldn't have to do the running around for someones blunder.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭working fool

Hi working fool,

I apologise that no one has contacted you yet.

You can request a refund of a duplicated transaction by contacting the retailer who took the payments. They can clarify if they have debited two payments or if one was cancelled/voided. If one payment was cancelled by the retailer after we had authorised it, it will take four working days to correct on the system and be credited to your account.

If the two payments are still showing on your account after the four working days, please contact the retailer for a refund or you can fill out a Laser Dispute form in the branch.

I hope this helps.
    Thanks
    Linda

Not really
    I've a printout from the shop showing only one transaction .
    I spent two hours over the past few days being given the runaround and still no callback .

It's abviously a card problem seeing as its happening so often

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Graham

Hi working fool,

Just to confirm that on the fourth working day the funds should automatically credit back to your account. If the transaction was done over the weekend, the first working day would have been Monday and so you should receive the money back tomorrow. If this doesn't happen in your case and due to the urgency of the matter with your upcoming direct debits, you can contact your branch directly who will try to rectify it for you.

Also, these shadow transactions normally occur as a result of an adjustment, cancellation or voiding of a transaction at a point of sale and not due to a card problem.

I hope this helps to clear things up.
    Thanks,
    Graham

Hi working fool,

Just to confirm that on the fourth working day the funds should automatically credit back to your account. If the transaction was done over the weekend, the first working day would have been Monday and so you should receive the money back tomorrow. If this doesn't happen in your case and due to the urgency of the matter with your upcoming direct debits, you can contact your branch directly who will try to rectify it for you.

Also, these shadow transactions normally occur as a result of an adjustment, cancellation or voiding of a transaction at a point of sale and not due to a card problem.

I hope this helps to clear things up.
    Thanks,
    Graham

The first person I spoke to one Monday said it would take 3 working days to return to my account but saying that they also told me they would process a complaint on my behalf and get back to me .
    My sister had the same problem
    With her card and since she got a new one it has stopped these shadow transactions

• Advertisement

Hi working fool,

When a complaint is raised, our complaints department have 5 working days to investigate the complaint and get back to you.

If you feel the shadow posting is due to your current card, you can order a new card through your branch or Banking 365 on 0818 365 365. Please be aware that it can take 8 - 10 working days to receive a new card and there is a replacement card fee of €5.90.

Thanks
    Linda

Hi working fool,

When a complaint is raised, our complaints department have 5 working days to investigate the complaint and get back to you.

If you feel the shadow posting is due to your current card, you can order a new card through your branch or Banking 365 on 0818 365 365. Please be aware that it can take 8 - 10 working days to receive a new card and there is a replacement card fee of €5.90.

Thanks
    Linda

I rang my local branch
    The girl there told me it happens to her all the time .
    So it's very common . She seemed to find it funny that she was getting double charged too ?

She said I'll be getting a new card at the end of next month .

Plus the 5 working days to complete a complaint thing .
    So in my case 7 days after my money went missing .

jameshayes wrote: »
    I followed this thread from the original in the banking forum and it looks like you are on a wild goose chase man. Hope someone takes accountability of the situation and sorts it for you asap. You shouldn't have to do the running around for someones blunder.

Thanks I'm beginning to feel outnumbered here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

You need to complain in writing. Don't accept the standard whitewashing by phone or on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

You said that the transaction was on Saturday in your original thread, so like Linda says I wouldn't be thinking that anything's unusual until after tomorrow (four working days). This is a pretty standard issue and most people don't notice it, only you needed the funds this week so you noticed. Seems like you've been unlucky enough for it to happen a few times recently. Did anyone get back to you about arranging that temporary overdraft if it was needed?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Working fool,

They don't even sound as if they know whether this was a double swipe or a shadow transaction. Get them to confirm which it is - if its a double swipe then then you need to chase the retailer. If it is a shadow transaction keep chasing your bank.

Very glad I don't bank with Bank of Ireland given this mess.

@BOI: The guy is missing €700 someone take ownership and get it sorted and at least tell him whats going on. Don;t pass it around just quoting lead times. No one minds a mistake especially when it's not completely in your control - what the do mind is being fobbed off.

No absolutely no contact .

4 working days for my money returned
    5 working days for a complaint to be processed .

Funny that ?

Funny that ?

Is it? I'd imagine they're totally separate figures. The processing one depends on computing resources and transaction backlog, and the complaint depends on staffing resources and complaints backlog. Nobody shouldn't really be making a complaint until the four days are up or the staff were unhelpful. Maybe this was the case here.

It is an unfortunate situation, and more information could be given on the bank's part as to whether it was a double swipe or ghost transaction, but the retailer already confirmed that they didn't charge twice so that just leaves ghost transaction, or something not already discussed.

I wouldn't go cursing BoI. This has happened to me with AIB in the past, granted the issue was resolved after two working days. It's a pretty standard occurrence, with the authorisation hold being put on funds industry-wide. The four days is necessary as the merchant needs time to submit the final transactions and claim the funds from the bank. This normally happens by the next day but not always. If there was no hold, nothing would stop the card holder from spending multiple times their account balance before the transaction is completed and funds transferred to the merchant. It can be inconvenient when things go wrong but hopefully you can see why it is necessary. Wikipedia explains "Authorisation hold" much better than I can.

Hopefully there was some problem with the card, e.g. dirty contacts that caused the card to appear removed from the terminal before the transaction was completed, and this occurrence will be reduced with the new card.

My bank branch has told me that the card itself is not at fault .
    I think it is . This is the 3rd time this has happened in as many months .

I understand it's just a mistake and mistakes happen , but this is happening me far too often .

I've to make a payment with the card on Friday of another €700 what to say it won't happen again .

And the runaround and false information dosent help .

This is a shadow transaction same as a month ago in tesco
    Blaming the retailer dosent wash

DAY 6

700€ still missing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Pat

Hi working fool,

We understand that this type of situation can be frustrating. Since there have been a few questions and queries about this since yesterday, I'm going to answer them in order.
    4 working days for my money returned
    5 working days for a complaint to be processed

Funny that ?

When a case of shadow posting occurs, the funds will normally be credited back to the account after three working days. It's worth noting that this may not happen until before the close of business on the fourth working day.

From what you mentioned in an earlier post, you have already gotten in contact with your branch and they have confirmed it is a case of shadow posting. Unfortunately, we cannot make the process of the funds being credited back to the account happen more quickly.

The timeframes for the processing and dealing with complaints are set out by the Financial Regulator. TheChizler is correct; the timeframes for the two processes are independent and unrelated.
    My bank branch has told me that the card itself is not at fault .
    I think it is . This is the 3rd time this has happened in as many months .

If you believe your card may be damaged or faulty, you can order a replacement by ringing Banking365 0818 365 365. Just be aware there will be a charge of €5.90 applied to your account.
    I've to make a payment with the card on Friday of another €700 what to say it won't happen again .

Regrettably, I cannot guarantee that this will not happen again.
    DAY 6

700€ still missing

As I said above, this can happen anytime before the close of business on the fourth working day.

Apologies if you feel you are getting the run-around. If you would like to PM me your name, contact number and your account holding branch I'll arrange for someone to look into it for you and give you a call.

Thanks
    Pat

If the card is faulty BOI have a cheek to charge for a replacement.

Right then
    Even if the money does re- appear
    I'll have to take Friday off work empty my account and pay each bill separately manually over the counter just incase this shadow thing pops up again and leaves me in the red .

Ps still no follow up call as promised from 365 in tallagh on Monday .

I'd be very happy to pay for a new card to put an end to this stupidity

Day 7
    The money is back
    And 365 have wiped any record of the transaction ever happening ?

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭vic20

For what it's worth...

Something similar happened to me when I had a disputed laser transaction (ATM appeared to give me cash but it did not)
    Amount debited from my acc.
    Went to bank and filled in disputed laser paperwork.
    Money credited to my acc. in a few days.
    Following day the transactions were wiped.

Day 7
    The money is back
    And 365 have wiped any record of the transaction ever happening ?

• Advertisement

You have a faulty card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

As they are charging for them - reject it under the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act - you've given them enough time to rectify the problem.

I'm only half joking.

You have a faulty card.

Yup
    I tried using it today and had to put it in the machine 3 times

Glad to hear the issue's been resolved!

For the love of sweet baby jeasus !
    Will this ever end ?

Got a letter last week saying they were looking into the case .

I paid to get a new card
    It arrived yesterday .
    Put it in the bank ATM as instructed
    Put my pin in and " nothing " ???
    Incorrect pin !

Rang them up
    3 to 5 working days to send new pin out ??

Will this ever end ?

I paid to get a new card
    It arrived yesterday .
    Incorrect pin !

Rang them up
    In fairness this is a separate issue. Banks never send out pins with the card for obvious reasons.

TheChizler wrote: »
    Will this ever end ?

I paid to get a new card
    It arrived yesterday .
    Incorrect pin !

Rang them up
    In fairness this is a separate issue. Banks never send out pins with the card for obvious reasons.

Yes but this one is supposed to be the same as my existing number

I bet they changed your card number, hence the new PIN.

I bet they changed your card number, hence the new PIN.

I had look at the paperwork again that came with the card
    Says to use my original pin from my last card ?

• Advertisement

Hi working fool,

The letter that is sent out with the card is a standard letter that goes out with all cards. When you cancelled the card, due to the issues you were having, the agent may have cancelled everything for security and should have verbally advised you would receive a new pin.

I apologise again for the issues you have had and hope when you receive the pin nothing else arises for you.

Thanks
    Linda

Advertisement