Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Job Share Pay

• 25-07-2012 11:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭

Hey,
    I have an interview (woohoo! :pac:) next week for a Job Share. It'll be 11 hours p/w. I'm delighted with the interview, and would be even more delighted to be seriously considered for the position. However, it's a good distance from my home, and while I don't mind moving for the year, I want to make sure that it'd be worth my while. So, what kind of money would I make on a 11 hour p/w Job Share? Approximations welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

I'm not sure but I imagine as long as you're job sharing with someone who's full time you'll get paid the same as you would if you were full time yourself (including being paid for the summer I would think) except that obviously, you'll only get half of the full amount, so work out what you'd be on if you were full time and cut it in half I'd say.
    I think it would work out better than half anyway after tax since you won't be into the higher rate of tax on half pay (I assume).

I'm open to correction of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

Are you a new entrant? If so it could be €13,500 or something like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Yeah I'm an NQT. Thanks for the replies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 93 ✭✭PammyD

RealJohn wrote: »
    you'll only get half of the full amount, so work out what you'd be on if you were full time and cut it in half I'd say.

I work job sharing and work half the full time hours which is 18 and 3/4 hours a week.. If this job is for 11 hours a week it really depends on what the going rate is for the job.
    Regarding the quote above i dont think thats right because full hours would usually be 38 to 40 a week...

Basically if the ask have u any questions at the interview ask then what the hourly/weekly pay is..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 574 ✭✭✭bdoo

PammyD wrote: »
    RealJohn wrote: »
    you'll only get half of the full amount, so work out what you'd be on if you were full time and cut it in half I'd say.

I work job sharing and work half the full time hours which is 18 and 3/4 hours a week.. If this job is for 11 hours a week it really depends on what the going rate is for the job.
    Regarding the quote above i dont think thats right because full hours would usually be 38 to 40 a week...

Basically if the ask have u any questions at the interview ask then what the hourly/weekly pay is..

The poster was referring to wholetime teacher class contact time which is 22hrs. Which is 11 hrs on job share.

My understanding is that pay is pro rata. I.e. Half hours = half pay

Point one of the revised scale for be entrants is €27,814. So €13,907 would be your gross pay. You will be committed to half of the croke park hours also.

Im not 100% sure of the supervision and substitution situation. That may be pro rata also Im not sure. You should be able to pick up substitution for absent colleagues etc through out the year on a part time basis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

So definitely worth my while when compared to languishing on the dole. Only thing is, there seems to be a few more positions coming on stream, and I don't want to jump at the first offer when I might get more attractive ones. Decisions, decisions!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Same as everyone else here, you get paid pro rata, so 11 hours is half the pay for the point on the scale you should be on which sounds like the first one. While it might be tempting to hold out for better hours/something near home, if you get offered the job you would be as well to take it. Jobs are thin on the ground. If something else comes up in the meantime and you are offered that, you can always change. Not the best situation for the school to be in, but they will offer it to the next person on the list.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 581 ✭✭✭phoenix999

Einhard wrote: »
    So definitely worth my while when compared to languishing on the dole. Only thing is, there seems to be a few more positions coming on stream, and I don't want to jump at the first offer when I might get more attractive ones. Decisions, decisions!

Well unless you're teaching Maths or Science, I cant see how a NQT would get a better offer? Lot of highly qualified and experienced unemployed teachers out there who you will be competing against. Teaching vacancies are few and far between at the moment. Only bonus for the school is that they can pay you a lot less. Which could well work in your favour. Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 574 ✭✭✭bdoo

phoenix999 wrote: »

Well unless you're teaching Maths or Science, I cant see how a NQT would get a better offer? Lot of highly qualified and experienced unemployed teachers out there who you will be competing against. Teaching vacancies are few and far between at the moment. Only bonus for the school is that they can pay you a lot less. Which could well work in your favour. Best of luck.

Unless its a private school, or the school is paying from their own funds, the rate of pay makes no difference to the school.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Surfalicious

Im in the same boat. Have interviews for full time maths (22hrs a week) and full time pe ( 22hours a week) bit also have one for job sharing of pe and maths of 11hrs a week and its nearly 3 hrs from home so i dnt know of its worth it. Im gonna go for interview for experience anyway. But does anyone know this.. If h get a job sharing position like so.. Can u take time off for like two weeks (im representin ireland in worlds in november)? I was thinking maybe it would be easier to get the time off in a job sharing position.. I also heard that the department of education give teachers 10days paid leave if they are repesenting their country in sport... Can anyone enlighten me in this? Im also an NQT so im not sure if im being cheeky asking for time off if i get a job bit the world champs only come every two years!.. Any advice from anyone would be great.. Thanks :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement