Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Women's Olympic Football

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Hope Solo is class though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Mars Bar wrote: »

It isn't surprising to me that the best women's goalkeeper happens to be the strongest looking woman to play in goal of the top teams (correct me if I'm wrong - this is what I took from watching last year's world cup). My housemate coaches women's football at a high level and he has said that the big problem with female goalkeepers is their lack of spring. It isn't an issue with bravery or footballing nous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bob the Seducer

Brazil vs Cameroon has just kicked off now.

Full Time:

Japan 2 Canada 1
    USA 4 France 2

Edit: Brazil 1-0 up on seven minutes

Free kick in at the near post.

2-0 Brazil on 11 minutes.

Header in the box - contested but not very well.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    It isn't surprising to me that the best women's goalkeeper happens to be the strongest looking woman to play in goal of the top teams (correct me if I'm wrong - this is what I took from watching last year's world cup). My housemate coaches women's football at a high level and he has said that the big problem with female goalkeepers is their lack of spring. It isn't an issue with bravery or footballing nous.

She has great physique alright. Tall and strong. She has had to work on her upper body so much due to a shoulder injury. She's very strong in the air. Probably the only keeper that can out jump a moving attacking player from a standing position.

Missed the two Brazil goals coz I was making dinner. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Wonder does she have a brother, maybe called Han!

Seemed weird being able to flick between 3 different games on free to air telly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Marta goes to the Steven Gerrard school of corner taking I see.

mike65 wrote: »
    Wonder does she have a brother, maybe called Han!

Seemed weird being able to flick between 3 different games on free to air telly.

6 matches and all of them viewable. It's mad in a great way!

• Advertisement

Sweden have taken the lead in the first ten minutes against South Africa
    1-0

2nd and 3rd for Sweden

First Dahlqvist then Schelin a minute later.

3-0

RSA were all over the place for the 3rd goal.

RSA were all over the place for the 3rd goal.

Hadn't really composed themselves or reorganised properly after conceding the 2nd.

Looks like kick off for Colombia vs North Korea has been delayed.

Edit: Third goal for Brazil, Marta penalty.

Seems the "lie down and pretend to be hurt and hope the ref forgets to book you" trick works sometimes afterall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

Apathy, isn't the word

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭BKC

Sweden absolutely walking the game against South Africa.

4 0 Brazil! Brilliant running to stay onside.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Brilliant the Columbia v North Korea game delayed because they put up the South Korea flag and the North Koreans are refusing to come out

And that's Brazil's 4th, Cristiane around the keeper.

Brilliant the Columbia v North Korea game delayed because they put up the South Korea flag and the North Koreans are refusing to come out

Jesus how did they manage to mess that one up!

How long before Columbia get all 3 points?

• Advertisement

:eek:

Someone's getting the sack tonight!

Ah those crazy Scots. **Daley Thompson mode** Probably drunk **Daley Thompson mode**

Update its not because the wrong flag was put up its because the South Korean flag is flying and the North Korean flag is also flying the North Koreans are insulted and refusing to play :eek:

Update its not because the wrong flag was put up its because the South Korean flag is flying and the North Korean flag is also flying the North Koreans are insulted and refusing to play :eek:

This is in th econtext of all the nation flags being up on the stand, yeah? Idiots.:rolleyes: Tell them to **** off home if they dont want to play so.

EDIT, South Korea arent in it are they? So it is a flag mistake of sorts or did the Scots just have extras and said "ah sure lets stick up what we have"?

Both teams are warming up but who knows when it will kick off

And to the other two points the North Koreans were upset as the big scree also showed the South Korean flag next to there names lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I think the problem was, on one side of the stadium you have the flags of the Mens & Womens teams represented at the Olympics and on the other side you have the flags of the teams that are playing at that time, but they had the Colombia and South Korea flags up.
    EDIT, South Korea arent in it are they? So it is a flag mistake of sorts or did the Scots just have extras and said "ah sure lets stick up what we have"?

They do in the Mens.

If they did f**k up and display the wrong flags then I understand why they refused to come out. It's unacceptable.

Edit:
    https://p.twimg.com/Ayq5yXACEAAtskp.jpg:large

Full Time:

Brazil 5 Cameroon 0

including 2 goals for Marta and 1 for Cristiane.

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    I think the problem was, on one side of the stadium you have the flags of the Mens & Womens teams represented at the Olympics and on the other side you have the flags of the teams that are playing at that time, but they had the Colombia and South Korea flags up.

They do in the Mens.

If they did f**k up and display the wrong flags then I understand why they refused to come out. It's unacceptable.

Edit:
    https://p.twimg.com/Ayq5yXACEAAtskp.jpg:large

I am taking all this from a guy that is there as a paramedic so who knows what the full story is

Kick off delayed until 20:50

Having dead air before and during half time is a bit surreal. Just lingering stadium shots like somthing bad or a streaker is on and they wont show it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

If the Olympics were going to put up one wrong flag, picking the South Korean flag for North Korea was a bad choice. I see an invasion on the horizon...:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

I saw the start of the england v nz game and the english girl just passed the ball straight out of play with her first touch - ouch, hope the quality improved after that

i saw the highlights later, good free-kick although positioning of nz keeper was woeful, also the miss by the nz striker later on was embarrassingly bad

just curious about the general standard of the game as hadn't seen the 90 minutes

the france v usa games sounds like a cracking game, would like to catch highlights of that later on

i heard the attendance for the english game was disappointing, large swathes of the ground empty, are the English just not interested in watching Olympic football?

donfers wrote: »
    I saw the start of the england v nz game and the english girl just passed the ball straight out of play with her first touch - ouch, hope the quality improved after that

i saw the highlights later, good free-kick although positioning of nz keeper was woeful, also the miss by the nz striker later on was embarrassingly bad

just curious about the general standard of the game as hadn't seen the 90 minutes

the france v usa games sounds like a cracking game, would like to catch highlights of that later on

i heard the attendance for the english game was disappointing, large swathes of the ground empty, are the English just not interested in watching Olympic football?

More the fact its womens football Oh and its a GB team not an England

donfers wrote: »

They're saving themselves for the men's team. :(

Good news for the commentators, the DPRK starting lineup only features 4 Kims.

Modise from the edge of the center circle to pull one back for South Africa against Sweden.

3-1

Edit: Schelin replies within 3 minutes at the near post.

4-1

What a horrible goal to give away. The Colombian defender went to clear it and just hit it off the Korean and it went in.

Strange thing for the Koreans to do!!

When defending a free kick, they all ran up to try and play offside but left about 6 Colombians in the box and onside! The attacker still couldn't head it in the net.

It looked so bizarre.

2 - 0 to Korea. Woeful goalkeeping. Absolutely woeful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭legendary.xix

The media are very inept. If any of them were any good at all, they'd be able to name the person at fault for the flag mistake. Why is it that they can never provide that detail?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

The media are very inept. If any of them were any good at all, they'd be able to name the person at fault for the flag mistake. Why is it that they can never provide that detail?

Well, if you do it before an enquiry its wrong imo and it prejudges the outcome plus if someone tells you the wrong info a newspaper could leave itself open to quite substantial damages.

Sweden and Japan has just kicked off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

is it on the RTE player?

Des wrote: »
    is it on the RTE player?

Don't think so

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Hope Solo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Don't think so

jesus

thanks

don't think lof are showing the womens wither.

Mars Bar, are New Zealand any good, or will Brazil absolutely destroy them?

BKC wrote: »
    Mars Bar, are New Zealand any good, or will Brazil absolutely destroy them?

I'd be expecting Brazil to beat them to be honest. I don't know about "destroying" them though!

I'd be expecting Brazil to beat them to be honest. I don't know about "destroying" them though!

Would you rate New Zealand better than Cameroon so?

BKC wrote: »
    Would you rate New Zealand better than Cameroon so?

Yeah I would

A lot of the NZ players are playing in good leagues Europe and America.

*waiting for egg on face as Brazil hammer New Zealand*

• Advertisement
Advertisement