Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Women's Olympic Football

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭BKC

New Zealand well in this game. On top for the last while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

BKC wrote: »
    New Zealand well in this game. On top for the last while.

Yep, causing a bit of bother for the Brazilians alright.

Canada are one up. They had a shaky moment at the back that no professional defence should ever allow happen.

2 - 0 to the U.S now. Abby Wambach is a scoring machine!

And she cracks the bar with a strike from about 30 yards out!

3-0 now. Colombian defence is a shambles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭BKC

Brazil left it late! :eek:

I was getting worried.

BKC wrote: »
    Brazil left it late! :eek:

I was getting worried.

I didn't get to see the second half. Brazil will need to be more clinical.

Group E is pretty much sorted now.

Group F will be really interesting. 3 of the 4 can make it to the qualifiers. Japan have RSA so they'll be confident of taking a win there. Canada will need a win whereas Sweden will be happy with a draw.

Group G has one spot left with two teams fighting it out for it. DPR Korea have to play USA so they won't be fancying their chances. France play Colombia so they'll definitely be going for it.

Exciting stuff!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I didn't get to see the second half. Brazil will need to be more clinical.

Group E is pretty much sorted now.

Group F will be really interesting. 3 of the 4 can make it to the qualifiers. Japan have RSA so they'll be confident of taking a win there. Canada will need a win whereas Sweden will be happy with a draw.

Group G has one spot left with two teams fighting it out for it. DPR Korea have to play USA so they won't be fancying their chances. France play Colombia so they'll definitely be going for it.

Exciting stuff!

A draw will be good enough for Canada to progress as a best third place team.

A draw will be good enough for Canada to progress as a best third place team.

How does that work?

Is it two 3rd placed teams to even out the numbers for the quarter finals?

How does that work?

Top Two in each of the three groups and the two best third places make up the 8 teams in the quarter finals.

In the first group NZ and Cameroon lost their first two games so the best the third place team in that group can get is 3 points.
    Therefore if the third place team in the other two groups gets to 4 points they are through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

where are ppl watching the football? bbc wont bother showing it and I cant get the bbc online stream to work.

Schwiiing wrote: »
    where are ppl watching the football? bbc wont bother showing it and I cant get the bbc online stream to work.

BBC red button

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

BBC red button

is that sky yeah?

Schwiiing wrote: »
    is that sky yeah?

Yeah. UPC don't have the red button option for Sky I think

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭jdooley28

My opinion on the womans football so far.

Entertaining, teams well organised, some very technically gifted players, much more open some of the awful mens games we have to endure. The terrible standard of goalkeeping brings it down. It is so frustraitng how bad some of the goalkeepers are

In hindsight the preliminary round was very predictable.
    Africa gets two of the 16 places in the World Cup and they never get further than the groups (rarely winning even a match), yet they still got 2 of the 12 places here.
    Oceania is also weak, so the entire prelims were effectively just to weed from 9 teams to 8.

Europe got screwed with only two places (+ GBR hosts) and the number two ranked team in the world Germany (who would likely have been favourites to win here) missed out completely.
    Have Germany and Norway here and would have been a cracking group stage.

How do we remedy the problem though? I'd wager my parents house that everyone of those goalkeepers have a professional goalkeeping coach.

I've noticed it more in this competition that the handling on low shots is not great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

An observation from yesterdays womens games, every game had one team that didn't score. You'd have done well with a "BBTS no" accumalator in a bet.

In hindsight the preliminary round was very predictable.
    Africa gets two of the 16 places in the World Cup and they never get further than the groups (rarely winning even a match), yet they still got 2 of the 12 places here.
    Oceania is also weak, so the entire prelims were effectively just to weed from 9 teams to 8.

Europe got screwed with only two places (+ GBR hosts) and the number two ranked team in the world Germany (who would likely have been favourites to win here) missed out completely.
    Have Germany and Norway here and would have been a cracking group stage.

I can't understand why it isn't 16 teams like the mens.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Also the Japanese looked excellent yesterday, they're ball control and speed was far superior of any team I have seen so far.

Samich wrote: »
    Also the Japanese looked excellent yesterday, they're ball control and speed was far superior of any team I have seen so far.

Well they are the world champions! :)

I can't understand why it isn't 16 teams like the mens.

At an IOC level they are trying to keep a lid on the number of particapants.

So for example Womens Boxing is debuting here but the number of boxers is constant - there are cumulative 36 women boxers so the mens boxing got reduced by 36 to keep the overall number of boxers the same.

So increasing the Womens footall to 16 teams would add another 4x18=72 athletes so where do you get a compensating reduction? You can't really reduce squads below 18 (the men used to be 22 player squads but got reduced to 18 when the Womens competition started to again keep the numbers constant).

I think 12 teams in the Womens is fine, but a better qualification method to ensure you get closer to the best 12 teams in the world is needed.
    Also maybe 2 groups of 6 followed by semis and finals, though it would mean starting even earlier.

I love how much I'm learning here!

Canada and Sweden drew 2-2

U.S.A beat one of the Korean teams 1-0. Wambach with the goal. Morgan also hit the post

And GB have taken the lead against Brazil within two mins! Houghton did really well to finish it!

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭To Alcohol

Where's that Carney one playing for GB from?

• Advertisement

To Alcohol wrote: »
    Where's that Carney one playing for GB from?

Birmingham born and bred. She plays with Birmingham City too although she's from Solihull which is more of an Aston Villa area. She played most of her football at Arsenal.

Kim Little is brilliant with the ball at her feet!

Aluko really should have had a goal but she fluffed it however, she has just won a penalty! :D

And Smith misses. :(

Team GB win 1-0 and also missed a penalty! :D

Houghton is a left back who has scored 3 goals in 3 games! :eek:

I think it's the best international women's game I've ever watched. Couldn't have asked for a better game to broadcast to millions of people across the world. The football was top class particularly from GB!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I usually find the wimmins game just too slow, but this was full tilt footie, great fun to watch with a corking result.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Carney impressive again.

G.K. wrote: »
    Carney impressive again.

Can't believe she's only 23 or 24. She's so good!

Kim Little did the Scots proud today too!

:eek: :eek:
    TheFA.com ‏@thefadotcom

The attendance at Wembley Stadium is 70,584, a record for a women's international in England. Previous best was just over 29,000

:eek:

It didn't look like that many!

I was moaning about the empty stadiums at the start saying they should have chosen smaller venues but now the British games are going to be sold out! Highfield Road holds just 23,000 so now there will be moaning about not enough tickets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

mike65 wrote: »
    I was moaning about the empty stadiums at the start saying they should have chosen smaller venues but now the British games are going to be sold out! Highfield Road holds just 23,000 so now there will be moaning about not enough tickets.

Was knocked down 6 years ago :)

Ricoh Arena or City of Coventry Stadium as it is called in the Olympics holds 32000.

Jasus I'm out of touch with the lower leagues! Still the point stands I bet 32,000 isn't enough.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

I'm glad there's a thread on this, even if it did take a while before it caught my attention.

TBH I kinda fell in love with womens football (well, at international level anyway) after watching the last Worl Cup.

For the Olympics, USA are obviously the ones to beat for me. They do look hard to beat and with Abby Wambach and, my personal favourite, Alex Morgan up front they always look dangerous going forward.

I've been really impressed with France though. They play some super stuff and absolutely demolished the "North Koreans" 5-0. I know there were other factors in that aswell but they still looked really strong, as they did in the worlds aswell in fairness.

I wouldn't mind seeing GB do well either, only the womens though!!

Overall though, again I am highly impressed with the womens games over the mens. They are just such a breath of fresh air to watch. Played in great spirits, no diving, no rolling about 20ft every time an opposing player breathes heavily on them, no protests to the referee, and some very good football on show too.

On a final note, I'll probably be rooting for the USA. I was drawn to them during the worlds, and again now in the Olympics.

Or maybe I'm just drawn to one particular player.....Alex Morgan....some player she is though!!

USA or France though and I'll be happy!!!

I believe the French will eventually become powerhouses of international football. Their underage teams are fantastic and it's only a matter of time before they win a major tournament in my opinion.

U.S.A knocked out New Zealand 2-0. France knocked out Sweden 2-1.
    Japan are currently beating Brazil 2-0 with just over 15 minutes left!

Team GB play Canada at 7.30 pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

GB got well caned tonight, Sinclair looks a player to watch, fcuk, I miss football :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,297 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Come on Canada this US womans team are a bunch of complainers and moaners shouting for corners when clearly goal kicks

The ref has been influenced to much by them

Been a great game 3-3 in injury time

Missed the Japanese game and the 90 of the Canada - U.S.A game. Sounds like it has been a great match!

Missed the Japanese game and the 90 of the Canada - U.S.A game. Sounds like it has been a great match!

Been a great 90 mins, but as i said the US team have had a huge influence in some decisions the ref had made

Ooh, ouch. Fair play to the Canadian's for putting the ball out.

Ahaha! Male commentator: "Is it time for Buellers day off?" Female commentator, "oh. my. god." :D

Wilberto wrote: »
    I'm glad there's a thread on this, even if it did take a while before it caught my attention.

TBH I kinda fell in love with womens football (well, at international level anyway) after watching the last Worl Cup.

For the Olympics, USA are obviously the ones to beat for me. They do look hard to beat and with Abby Wambach and, my personal favourite, Alex Morgan up front they always look dangerous going forward.

I've been really impressed with France though. They play some super stuff and absolutely demolished the "North Koreans" 5-0. I know there were other factors in that aswell but they still looked really strong, as they did in the worlds aswell in fairness.

I wouldn't mind seeing GB do well either, only the womens though!!

Overall though, again I am highly impressed with the womens games over the mens. They are just such a breath of fresh air to watch. Played in great spirits, no diving, no rolling about 20ft every time an opposing player breathes heavily on them, no protests to the referee, and some very good football on show too.

On a final note, I'll probably be rooting for the USA. I was drawn to them during the worlds, and again now in the Olympics.

Or maybe I'm just drawn to one particular player.....Alex Morgan....some player she is though!!

USA or France though and I'll be happy!!!

Just from tonight I think she in bold is a nasty player, some nasty tackles have come in from the US players all game

Just from tonight I think she in bold is a nasty player, some nasty tackles have come in from the US players all game

She's still my hero! Not many international games in womens football has the rivalry that this game has.

Scott is lucky to have her leg still in one piece! Now she's back playing. Madness!

USA!!!!

Oh no fair on Canada such bad luck

• Advertisement

That is really harsh on Canada judging by that scoreline. Worse way to go out than penalties?

Advertisement