Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Women's Olympic Football

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,297 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

That is much worse than pens, and I say one of the games of the year with no one seeing it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

That is much worse than pens, and I say one of the games of the year with no one seeing it

Only 26,000 in the stadium. Pity there wasn't more.

I'm gonna have to find the first 90 minutes online somewhere.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

What. A. Game!!!!

Can honestly say I'm not that surprised though. I've been saying for a while that the womens game, at this level, is probably more entertaining, and certainly better, to watch. Ever since the World Cup last year, and I think I can say that this match makes a valuable contribution to validating my point.

It's so refreshing to see 22 players out on the pitch, all wanting to just play football, and play it in the greatest of spirits.

A fantastic advertisment for womens football, just as it was with the USA Vs Japan final in the World Cup. Needless to say I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of this final.

I am absolutely gutted for Canada though, as is everyone else. But you just knew USA were pushing on more and more as fatigue began to set in with the Canadians. And Heather O'Reilly's introduction just added more weight to the USA atteck, especially against a tiring defence.

Few could have predicted the USA winning it in such a dramatic fashion as they did but when you have Alex Morgan in your team I suppose anything can happen.

Fantastic nights entertainment though, and a match of truely epic proportions.

Well done to both teams as football was the real winner tonight.

Canada and France are playing for the bronze. France have been all over Canada, particularly in the second half. Canada then go and score in the 92nd minute! :eek:

France should have annihilated Canada with all of the chances they created.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Canada and France are playing for the bronze. France have been all over Canada, particularly in the second half. Canada then go and score in the 92nd minute! :eek:

France should have annihilated Canada with all of the chances they created.
    Unfortunate for France, but I'm delighted for Canada after what happened to them against USA in the semi. Delighted Matheson got the winner as well, she has really impressed me. And I'd have to agree with previous posters, I'm surprised with how good the women's football has been to watch. Really honest committed players, but also really intelligent skilful footballers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Wow France had so many chances and squandered them all. Especially as Canada's keeper wasn't the best. Get your shot's on target!

That shot cleared off the line was worth it's weight in...er...bronze for Canada :p

Final kicks off in just over a half an hour! :D

U.S.A 1 up. Goal from Carli Lloyd!

Japan just have had two great chances. U.S defender cleared off the line and Solo pulled off a great save from a header!

Great game so far!

That should probably have been a Japanese penalty.

Japan would be better off playing less of the high ball forward

• Advertisement

:eek:
    Saved by the post! She had to go for it though!

Japan hit the crossbar. It's only a matter of time before they score in my opinion

2-0! Carli Lloyd with her second. Japan let her come forward with the ball and she took a brilliant shot from outside the box.

This is a great game!

Japan have scored after some great play. The first attempt was cleared off the line and Japan score on the second attempt.

Over 80,000 people at the game. :cool:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Surprise surprise....another two great games today.......Gutted for France in fairness but I s'pose for Canada it at least takes away some of the pain of the semi-final (albeit probably not a lot). And I was also gutted because I was looking forward to another 30 minutes. :P

USA were superb though. Japan clearly played the better football, but the USA are just so strong and work so hard. Another fantastic game though yet again.

However, the massive attendance of 80,000+ does worry me a bit. The last thing we need is for the womens football to become so popular that the big money ends up coming in and turning it into the *insert derogatory word here* kind of football that has come to be synonomous with the mens game. Maybe I'm just being paranoid a bit but still, who can blame me?

Every single sport in the Olympics has been greatly supported by the British public, so I wouldn't read too much into that.

The quality shown in these games should give it a good shot in the arm though. I see they're starting up the womens national league in the US again so thats good to see

Wilberto wrote: »

However, the massive attendance of 80,000+ does worry me a bit. The last thing we need is for the womens football to become so popular that the big money ends up coming in and turning it into the *insert derogatory word here* kind of football that has come to be synonomous with the mens game. Maybe I'm just being paranoid a bit but still, who can blame me?

It would take years upon years to see the effect of huge money on the game that we have seen in men's football.

Mars Bar wrote: »
    It would take years upon years to see the effect of huge money on the game that we have seen in men's football.

That is true, but I'm sure you can understand my fear....:D:D;)

Advertisement