Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sick to death of Facebook.

• 25-07-2012 12:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Now before anybody says "why dont you just leave", I need to know about Facebook for my job. So leaving isnt really an option... but Facebook is reallly starting to bug me at this stage...

- It must be the buggiest website I've ever seen. Currently it doesnt work properly in any of the three browsers I have installed on my PC.
    - If that stupid b1tch up the road tells me one more time about how many sugars she's having in her tea, I'll beat her to death with the teapot.
    - Those "Pat has sent you 50 gold coins in LGBT Pirates Of The Carribean" messages... :mad:
    - Lastly those images "Tiny Tim has cancer, but look how brave he's being".. which are coming in a flood lately.. Now I'm now unsympathetic, but jesus every day ?? It's like the Late Late Show..

A few of my friends have abandoned FB recently. Anybody else going the same way... Just going to post on FB about how I "got something off my chest" :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

id be shocking bored at work without it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Hardonraging

http://www.fbpurity.com/ .... internet noobs ... keeping me in work since .. well 2001 i think ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Now before anybody says "why dont you just leave", I need to know about Facebook for my job. So leaving isnt really an option... but Facebook is reallly starting to bug me at this stage...

- It must be the buggiest website I've ever seen. Currently it doesnt work properly in any of the three browsers I have installed on my PC.
    - If that stupid b1tch up the road tells me one more time about how many sugars she's having in her tea, I'll beat her to death with the teapot.
    - Those "Pat has sent you 50 gold coins in LGBT Pirates Of The Carribean" messages... :mad:
    - Lastly those images "Tiny Tim has cancer, but look how brave he's being".. which are coming in a flood lately.. Now I'm now unsympathetic, but jesus every day ?? It's like the Late Late Show..

A few of my friends have abandoned FB recently. Anybody else going the same way... Just going to post on FB about how I "got something off my chest" :pac:

Sounds like the biggest issue you have is the people you're friends with. Can I suggest you get new friends?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

You don't have to shut Facebook down completely. You can ignore individual people's posts, block certain apps...etc. You need never hear about yer ones sugar in her tea again.

block/unfriend her
    block all game messages appearing
    block/unfriend them

problem solved

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Sounds like the biggest issue you have is the people you're friends with. Can I suggest you get new friends?

Where do I click for that.. ? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

It's worth it for some of the lamebook content.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

so just unsubscribe from stupid people? I see maybe 10-12 of peoples posts the rest are hidden, I mostly use facebook for keeping in touch with people I know abroad and gaming and movie sites who update stuff on there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

I deactivated my account 6mths ago,it's a crock of ****e.
    The same with twitter Inwant no part of any of these things,friends in far away places have my email to catch up and what I found with facebook was it is full of viruses/glitches,your bombarded with stupid advertising and nonsense the concept was a good idea initially but now it has become a monster that swallowed the original idea and destroyed what was unique about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

lolz babz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Someone has to mention Bebo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

JonathanAnon is dying of Facebook Sickness. Like this post to show your support. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Like what, specifically? I don't have any issues with it. Never did with Firefox, or with Chrome when I used those. Using Opera, no problems with that either.
    Remove friend/hide updates. You can do this for games or people so this applies to all issues of "I don't want to see this crap in my feed".

If you need your facebook for your job, I'd be disinclined to think you'd need to have people who'll be posting nonsense like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

I feel the same the last few months. I did a cleanup of my "friends" and deleted about 80 that i didnt like, talk to or know that well and it was grand for a few weeks but then other people stared annoying me and i have friend requests from alot of the sacks i deleted a few weeks ago :rolleyes: then to make it worse i have the app on my iphone and every notification makes a beep and comes up on my screen

Ill delete my account one day...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

don't use chat, block all apps with fb purity, unsubscribe from idiotic people, keep it just the way you want it and facebook is grand. you'd swear you were forced to look at all this sh1te, its easily gotten rid of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I only look at it about once a fortnight now so it doesn't bother me.

But recently, my wife says things like "I see you posted a photo on Facebook." And it does look like I did, even if I hadn't been on. Some application has started posting things on my behalf and it looks to all the world as if I'm promoting something.

Whenever I become arsed again, I must try and block it or unsubscribe something (if possible).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,905 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Call the Whineline and raise the issue with Joe OP ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Rossin wrote: »
    id be shocking bored at work without it

I pity your employer who has to manage a business, collect money and then pay an employee such as yourself. I hope business is going well or else some day they may find that despite their efforts they lose their company and have no hope of getting any government assistance.

If your post was for a laugh, then grand but if not, the above comment stands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Update your crappy browsers.
    Unfriend her, or unsubscribe to her news.
    Stop playing LGBT Pirates Of The Carribean, or turn off applications.
    Because your friends keep reading that shíte.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

I got annoyed with it and finally deactivated it this week for a little bit!

Nearly closed my boards account too.....pity there isnt an option to deactivate it for a little bit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

The only reason thats keeping me on facebook is my GAA team as we usually organise a small training session between ourselves through that.

The 'likes for rates' thing really annoys the tits out of me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

I had been meaning to delete Facebook for some time which I did but they let you log back in and reactivate your account even if you delete it as it takes two weeks.

So last week I deleted all my friends off it and then deleted it so even if I did reactivate it I'd have no friends.

Just like in real life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Have you seen the like or ignore ones yet, saw one last night "like if you love your grandparents, ignore if you want them to die" featuring a picture of a lovely granny. People were seriously liking this, I laughed my ass off and ignored like a boss* :cool:

* All of my grandparents are already dead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Facebook has opened my eyes to some people I called friends. There's one guy who has a picture of his nephew as his profile pic and goes on about how he loves him so much. There is no tragic history to this love, and sure it's cool to love your nephew. But why are you telling everyone? This same guy got a new job recently after being unemployed for a while and we are now informed of every day off he has and how great it is to be working and how the beers taste that bit sweeter after a day's work.

And then there's the thinly veiled "I'm working out" statuses. "jaysus just did 25k on the new bike and I have to say, it's an awesome little machine.". Buddy, you ran in marathon that you told everyone about, you cycle all over the place, making sure we're there with you for every mile...but why then are you still so fat?

Couples who communicate via Facebook instead of text message. "my turn to cook tonight darling, what would you like". "have you seen the remote control?". I'm serious.

Also, people that I thought were intelligent I now know to be thick. Tesco are giving vouchers to everyone who likes this. No they're not. There's also a competition where you have to guess who much money is shown in the pic. Now, in the original post there's a link where you have to enter the comp. and on that link it states that it will be a bout a year before the winner is chosen (so no winner so) and also they claim the right to pass your info on to anyone they want to. And yet there are 800+ people replying to the status "49.50". Jesus.

And finally, I resent these profile pages "Zambia zeffron" or some ****...who post up pictures of cute or tragic things. People genuinely think they are making the world a better place by liking a pic of a disfigured girl and saying she's beautiful. Get off your fat ass and do something. Although if they did that, we'd have to read about it constantly.

Finally, I run a few business pages and profiles. One is based in Clonmel and my god...there are some dopes on that. One poor girl lost a baby at one day old. Really really sad. But to see her having a birthday party at the child's grave a year on and getting a tattoo of the child's name and saying that she enjoyed the party etc...I dunno...that's just not for the public domain. She's pregnant again now and well what a roller coaster of a life that child is in for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Hardonraging

Couples who communicate via Facebook instead of text message. "my turn to cook tonight darling, what would you like". "have you seen the remote control?". I'm serious..

Some day i shall propose to my better half on Facebook !! I'll be sure to mention you so you see it on your wall k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

Facebook has opened my eyes to some people I called friends. There's one guy who has a picture of his nephew as his profile pic and goes on about how he loves him so much. There is no tragic history to this love, and sure it's cool to love your nephew. But why are you telling everyone? This same guy got a new job recently after being unemployed for a while and we are now informed of every day off he has and how great it is to be working and how the beers taste that bit sweeter after a day's work.

And then there's the thinly veiled "I'm working out" statuses. "jaysus just did 25k on the new bike and I have to say, it's an awesome little machine.". Buddy, you ran in marathon that you told everyone about, you cycle all over the place, making sure we're there with you for every mile...but why then are you still so fat?

Facebook is nothing but a haven for attention seekers and for those who like to brag. They think that by posting a status they are being subtle about it, you know just throwing it out there. But in reality they're begging for attention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

Facebook has opened my eyes to some people I called friends.

All of that stuff = instant block. Particularly the gym and couple stuff.

Facebook is nothing but a haven for attention seekers and for those who like to brag. They think that by posting a status they are being subtle about it, you know just throwing it out there. But in reality they're begging for attention.

Lot of truth in that John.. You can usually spot the people a mile off.. A good indicator is usually any non famous person, who has >1000 friends. You can tell there has been a bit of effort on their part to hit the big 1000 mark and they see it as a statement that "I'm some popular lad, I am".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,852 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Finally, I run a few business pages and profiles. One is based in Clonmel and my god...there are some dopes on that. One poor girl lost a baby at one day old. Really really sad. But to see her having a birthday party at the child's grave a year on and getting a tattoo of the child's name and saying that she enjoyed the party etc...I dunno...that's just not for the public domain. She's pregnant again now and well what a roller coaster of a life that child is in for.

What business is that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

It makes me laugh everytime I see someone giving out about Facebook, a free service that they are not obliged to use if they don't want to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Agree about the bugs. So frustrating to click on view all comments or click on the message box at the top; wait about 5 minutes to load and then it never loads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

krudler wrote: »
    don't use chat, block all apps with fb purity, unsubscribe from idiotic people, keep it just the way you want it and facebook is grand. you'd swear you were forced to look at all this sh1te, its easily gotten rid of.

Yep. Unsubscribe from the idiot friends who:

say goodnight to Facebook
    Post sh1t like "Just had a cup of tea. Considering a bickie too"
    Post inappropriate pictures
    etc

A friend of mine used to post interesting stuff, but she is also an animal lover in the extreme, and posted a picture of a bucket of drowned kittens with a tagline saying "This is the reality". She posted it at 9am in the morning and I was drinking my morning tea in work when i was confronted by it. I didn't bother berating her, I just unsubscribed, life is easier.

Also FB purity, and all the stupid app and game requests go away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

LyK iF yOo CrYd EvRy Tym ;( xxxxxx

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ComfyKnickers

I went through my friends list recently and was surprised at how many people I couldn't remember being friends with because I had blocked them. :D

Here's the main kind I've blocked:-
    People posting 15 videos one after another from YouTube. This one is for Mary, this one is for Joe. This one reminds me of a nice day I had recently. Good for you. How about you just go onto YouTube and watch them yourself without sharing them with all of us? Blocked.

People who do nothing on Facebook only moan. We all have the odd whinge on FB, that's grand, but you know someone who has a chip on both shoulders and makes sure you know all about it. Blocked.

Attention seekers. You know the ones. They'll post something like "Not looking forward to tomorrow". No details given, they just sit back and wait for some tool to say "Really? Why not?" Then they'll be told "ah I don't to want to say it here, PM me!!" Blocked. I had a friend recently who put up "Not looking forward to my general anaesthetic tomorrow". Everyone was posting OMG what's up, are you ok? Are you sick? What's wrong? She was getting a bloody wisdom tooth out!! Give. Me. Strength.

People who only come on Facebook to show off - they haven't been seen or posted anything in about six months and then come on to say "heading off for three weeks holidays to the Bahamas next week, can't wait". Then after the hols you'll get the 175 pictures and then they'll disappear until their next "showey offey" event comes up!!

I don't block these people but generally they go waaaayyyy down on my respectometer - the ones that like & share those fcuking ridiculous sick children things (like there's a doctor there going "yes, yes, one more like and I can do this life saving surgery), domestic abuse pics (like if you're against domestic abuse, I mean come on!!!), pics of people with no hair after chemo (like if you think she is beautiful :rolleyes:). They even had one of Barbie with a hearing aid and some of my friends (now I'm talking about people in their 30's and 40's) clicked that they liked it because that meant the Barbie doll was beautiful :eek:. I don't know if they do it because it makes them look as if they are wonderful, all-accepting people or what but they get on my tits big time!!

Anyway, that's my rant about Facebook. It its defence, some of the stuff put up on it is hilarious and I do enjoy what the majority of my friends are sharing. It's also a great way to keep in touch with friends and family abroad and keep up with what they're doing, I've found family I wouldn't have even known about if it weren't for Facebook.

All I'll say is thank God for the "unsubscribe" and "hide all from" buttons :D

People who only come on Facebook to show off - they haven't been seen or posted anything in about six months and then come on to say "heading off for three weeks holidays to the Bahamas next week, can't wait". Then after the hols you'll get the 175 pictures and then they'll disappear until their next "showey offey" event comes up!!

I have on particular "friend" like that. Posts pictures of himself with well known people, or tells when he's at big events or anything that he perceives to enhance his social status. He's a bit inconsistent with his posting though, cos I didnt see a message saying "I got the results from the clinic. I have an STD" after he opened the letter last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

We're sorry sir, we couldn't operate on your daughter.. We didn't get enough likes on her photo on Facebook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Try ranting and raving.

If you don't have access then pm dr bollocko.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement