Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kindle publications - UK only - ARGH!

Options
  • 25-07-2012 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭

I'm not sure whether this is the right place to ask this.

I'm so frustrated at the amount of books for the Kindle that are available in the UK only, but can't be purchased if you have an Irish-based account.

I know that it's due to publishers' agreements in different countries but it seems ridiculous that there's no problem buying the hard copy through Amazon, but only when it comes to buying the Kindle version it's blocked.

Is there any way around this does anyone know?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

I used a UK address for amazon and have been able to buy UK titles. I did get an email from them asking me to provide evidence of my address, but I ignored it. Mind you, I've only bought a handful of books, so maybe that's why.

You'll get more information on the gadget forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭PattheMetaller

Try amazon.com rather than amazon.co.uk

I've downloaded Kindle releases onto my iPad from .com

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Try amazon.com rather than amazon.co.uk

I've downloaded Kindle releases onto my iPad from .com

The OP has an Irish-based account so already is using amazon.com.

It's not being able to purchase what's only available on amazon.co.uk that's the issue.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

It is annoying alright, I've been told that if you just going into "Manage your Kindle" on Amazon and change the country to the UK then you'll be able to purchase on the UK site. I've done this but it never worked. :confused:

Anyway, if I find myself in the unfortunate position of being unable to purchase the kindle version on Amazon then I usually use the next best, but less legal, thing... Google. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭mrblack

I use a US address for my Kindle and buy all my book through the US store as the selection in ROI is much smaller and more expensive. Although I do pay wireless roaming charges of a few euro when I d/l the books. Like another user said Amazon email me asking for proof of my US address and I too just ignore them and they don't follow up.

MrBlack

• Advertisement

mrblack wrote: »
    I use a US address for my Kindle and buy all my book through the US store as the selection in ROI is much smaller and more expensive. Although I do pay wireless roaming charges of a few euro when I d/l the books. Like another user said Amazon email me asking for proof of my US address and I too just ignore them and they don't follow up.

MrBlack
    :confused:

If you have an Irish address then you have to use the US store. You're using a US address for nothing.

:confused:

If you have an Irish address then you have to use the US store. You're using a US address for nothing.

Don't think you are fully correct with that comment because when I change my country to Ireland in the Kindle management section a lot of the books disappear from the search results due to rights issues I was advised by Amazon-So now I digitally live in zip code 90210 for my kindle.

I only found this out when I specifically searched for a book and knew it was in the Kindle store but couldn't find it when my kindle was set to Ireland. Switched to US and there it appeared and was swiftly downloaded. Normally I keep the 3g wireless turned off and only on for search and d/l.

Mrblack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭cuilteanna

MrBlack

Do you use an Irish credit card with it, and do they add on the VAT? At the moment I've a US address and (expired) US credit card on mine so only getting freebies, but have a few books I want to buy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

I've stopped using my Kindle for the most part. I don't believe it is morally correct to steal books, but I got frustrated with seeing a review for a book, saying to myself: "Sounds good, I'll buy it", only to be told that it isn't available to international customers. If I can buy the physical book on the site, then why can't I buy the electronic format? (I know it isn't Amazon's fault). So back to buying the real things. Book shops are nice places.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Unshelved

Thanks for the advice. I tried something that was suggested on the other forum. Keeping my kindle in airplane mode, I ordered a book from the Amazon.com website. Then I switched on the wifi on my Kindle just to download the book and switched it back off again.

Worked for me so far anyway.

Thanks for all the help!

• Advertisement

Don't think you are fully correct with that comment because when I change my country to Ireland in the Kindle management section a lot of the books disappear from the search results due to rights issues I was advised by Amazon-So now I digitally live in zip code 90210 for my kindle.

I only found this out when I specifically searched for a book and knew it was in the Kindle store but couldn't find it when my kindle was set to Ireland. Switched to US and there it appeared and was swiftly downloaded. Normally I keep the 3g wireless turned off and only on for search and d/l.

Mrblack

Ok, well this is different. Firstly, I am right in saying that an Irish user has to use the US site by default. But it's true that there are books that are still unavailable to Irish users even when using the US site.

Sergeant wrote: »
    I've stopped using my Kindle for the most part. I don't believe it is morally correct to steal books, but I got frustrated with seeing a review for a book, saying to myself: "Sounds good, I'll buy it", only to be told that it isn't available to international customers. If I can buy the physical book on the site, then why can't I buy the electronic format? (I know it isn't Amazon's fault). So back to buying the real things. Book shops are nice places.

No one is talking about stealing books- I pay the full price and extra 3G roaming charges as well. We are akin to tourists buying books on their foreign holidays. There is no VAT added of course but if publishers agreed the digital rights then this issue wouldnt arise. If we can buy the paperback/hardback here they why not the digital version too. Personally I think that a buyer of the paperback/hardback should be given the kindle digital version included for free as they already have the book and can scan it to their kindle anyway if they really wanted too.

MrBlack

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭x_Ellie_x

When I want to get an ebook from the .co.uk site, I first buy a gift voucher from the .com site, entered the .co.uk site via a proxy server, downloaded this and use the gift voucher to buy the book I want. I wouldn't recommend using a credit card while using a proxy for obvious reasons. You'd need to run the ebook through Calibre (with the DRM removal plugin) to read it on your kindle though.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭x_Ellie_x

The books sold in Easons and other Irish bookstores are the UK versions. If we can buy the UK hardbacks/paperbacks here, I don't see why we can't buy the UK ebooks as well? I think its ridiculous! I hate buying kindle books from the US site because there is a huge difference in the prices between the sites - with the UK being far cheaper. And it's not technically stealing if you're actually buying the books.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

x_Ellie_x wrote: »
    The books sold in Easons and other Irish bookstores are the UK versions. If we can buy the UK hardbacks/paperbacks here, I don't see why we can't buy the UK ebooks as well? I think its ridiculous!
    It's something to do with the publishing laws. When writers sign a contract, the publisher often divides up publishing rights into different territories. When you download to a Kindle, you're effectively publishing in whatever territory you want.
    UK publishing contracts only cover publishing in the UK (thanks to backwards contracts) so you can't publish to Irish devices.

When selling, it seems it's different. The books themselves are published in the UK and then shipped here. The publisher, for example, sells to Amazon. What Amazon does next (sell them on) is no concern of theirs and it obeys the dumb ass publishing contracts.

What I fail to see is how it's possibly advantageous for authors to have contracts that prevent books being published in certain territories because people are just going to not bother buying or circumvent it illegally. Nobody wins.
    I hate buying kindle books from the US site because there is a huge difference in the prices between the sites - with the UK being far cheaper. And it's not technically stealing if you're actually buying the books.
    Agree with this. I did actually do some conversions on book prices between the two sites today. One book was 30%(!) dearer for us. The remainder were actually a little cheaper through .com than .co.uk. Not much but a few cent. I think this is more to do with currency fluctuations than anything else.

Advertisement