Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Absolut Fringe Fest...

• 25-07-2012 12:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭

Absolut, the 2nd biggest vodka in the world is looking for photographers with fast lenses and cameras great ISO noise control, to edit, embed information, resize and upload images from the Fringe Festival within a tight time frame each night - FOR FREE!

Wait, no sorry. They'll get 'credited', free tickets to selected shows and have their images in a specially printed BLOW magazine for a few weeks. Oh, and while you own the copyright, they'll get a free full licence of every image you submit for a year.

We really need to start a big list of companies to boycott on grounds like this. It's exploitation - they don't want beginners, they have specific requirements and require you to send in images to them to show your quality. Good experience me arse - they're offering nothing new and getting so much back in return.

Humbug.
    BLOW | ABSOLUT Fringe 2012 Photography Project

Info:
    ABSOLUT Fringe dates: 8-23rd Sep 2011

BLOW is looking for a team of 10 photographer to take pictures of the shows during ABSOLUT
    Fringe Festival. If you become one of the photographers you will get Fringe pass and you will be
    included in a schedule for taking pictures during selected shows at this year's festival.

You must be available during the Festival's duration to photograph the rehearsals/shows that will
    be assigned to you.

After each show you will pick 10 best images (out of those that you have taken) and send them to
    us by 11am next day. The time restriction must be taken seriously as any delay will have impact
    on the next steps of this project – creating a special BLOW | ABSOLUT Fringe on-line edition of the
    magazine.

Your best shots of the performances will be published in this magazine every two days, three
    times a week, six issues in total. All your selected pictures send to us will be used by ABSOLUT
    Fringe for their promotional usage (website, social media). All on-line editions of the magazine will
    be available on Blow's website and on ISSUE.com.

Have a look at the last year's editions of BLOW | ABSOLUT Fringe mag: http://
    www.blowphotomagazine.com/blowabsolutfringe/

Spec:
    All photos must be resized and prepared in 2 sizes: high resolution suitable for printing and
    website size.
    All photos must have file info completed.
    All photos will be uploaded through a special upload website.
    All photographers must have their own equipment. Please make sure you have good quality
    camera, some of the performance won’t have much light. You need to have: bright lenses, option
    for shooting with high ISO but minimum noise, tripod.

All copyrights stay with photographers but ABSOLUT Fringe is getting full year license of all the
    images for all kind of promotional usages.

The job is unfortunately unpaid but you get all the credits for your images, free publication in the
    special editions of Blow Photo Magazine, free tickets to your selected shows (and more), a free
    pass to the festival club. It is a great opportunity to establish a fruitful relationship with the Fringe
    Festival and with Blow Photo Magazine.

We encourage you to keep your own style of photography.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

isn't Absolut kinda sponsorship of the Dublin Fringe Festival, as in sponsorship with naming rights, etc... it thus becoming Absolut Fringe Festival. I could be entirely wrong (though wouldn't be surprised) that they actually have little involvement other than throwing a stack of money at the gig and presumably some of their fine product at it too. So I don't think its them to point a finger at - though one could argue under corporate and social responsibility that they could be more active, impose a "no expectation of work for free", and not put their name in the way of such evaluations as may lead people to believe that there is exploitation going on. I don't really understand how that might work though.

I got your point though. The only thing i'd suggest perhaps is that it is understandable for those working in photography whether scraping a living or well comfortable with their work to react badly to this, but i'd imagine if you were an aspiring amateur, or a student wanting to make a name for yourself, then you might have a big interest in the possibility of getting certain coverage. It would be nice to be paid too but ce la vie,... internships will operate like this in many organisations too.

I know the Fringe will interview their unpaid internships and are very picky about who they'll take. Because anyone wants to volunteer/work on Fringe doesn't mean that they will work on Fringe.

Then again, I haven't seen their profit and loss statement so perhaps there is a big argument that they should at least for the duration of the festival have photographers on contract (even at low rates) or on a pay-rolled setup.

Advertisement