Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best mobile phone service

Options
  • 25-07-2012 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭

Hello Guys,

I am planning to live in Ireland. I would like to ask what would be the best mobile service out there in Dublin? I read on internet that Meteor and O2 are good services...
    Is there any other service with better and cheaper plans to call abroad?

Also, whats better between Pay as you go and Bill Pay?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭AlmostCared

Well Three have the best deals. For €20 a month (PAYG) you get free calls, texts and internet. Most other networks only offer free texts for €20. Only problem with Three is that their coverage isn't so great in rural areas. I would definitely choose PAYG as Bill Pay plans are very dear for very little. I'm on Three Billpay (€25 a month) and my bills end up being almost €50 every month.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,557 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I don't find that 3's coverage is poor in rural areas, it just depends on the area. I'm living in a rural area and coverage on 3 is the best there.

They also have go.call.ie for calling abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭masterboy123

How is Meteor?

and in general which is cheaper (& safer) PAYG or monthly plans?

I just saw the three's website and offers look quite well given if their network is good.

How is Meteor?

and in general which is cheaper (& safer) PAYG or monthly plans?

I just saw the three's website and offers look quite well given if their network is good.

3 is the better payg option i'd say. Check the coverage map for your area,
    I changed from meteor to 3.

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    3 is the better payg option i'd say. Check the coverage map for your area,
    I changed from meteor to 3.

Hmm how can i check the coverage map?
    do you mean this one?
    http://www.three.ie/products_services/coverage/index.html

it is showing 2G coverage when i selected Voice & text. Is it any good?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

If you require broadband on the go I would recommend 3 being a customer myself. Only issue that may arise is the switching over from HSDPA,3G to the 2g vodafone network in rural areas I'm currently on 2g but that doesn't matter cause I'm at home once I get calls and texts alls good so if your willing to live that lifestyle its quiet good service providing u take matters into ur own hands and avoid ringing CC. U could say its like a self service network. Top up and go. Just don't be overly dependant on the 3G connection. Otherwise I second O2 for reliable coverage

Jhcx wrote: »
    If you require broadband on the go I would recommend 3 being a customer myself. Only issue that may arise is the switching over from HSDPA,3G to the 2g vodafone network in rural areas I'm currently on 2g but that doesn't matter cause I'm at home once I get calls and texts alls good so if your willing to live that lifestyle its quiet good service providing u take matters into ur own hands and avoid ringing CC. U could say its like a self service network. Top up and go. Just don't be overly dependant on the 3G connection. Otherwise I second O2 for reliable coverage

If you have problems call into a store is all i can say.

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    If you have problems call into a store is all i can say.

No problems.

Jhcx wrote: »

Thanks for the info.
    I am used to 3G connection. So i will go for O2 since 3 is not providing 3G network....

Thanks for the info.
    I am used to 3G connection. So i will go for O2 since 3 is not providing 3G network....

They do provide 3G and H which is brilliant Im on H 90% of the time. but it mainly works in towns likes of Dublin, Limerick, Shannon, Ennis and parts going up on the train from Limerick Junction to Dublin

Works in portlaoise as well. These are only places ive been with it. Other 3 customers can tell you where else it works. In my village Clarecastle i can get it in parts but i live slightly towards the countryside so we have terrible signal only 2g cant even get o2 or Vodafone broadband.

3 only run on 3G(H) they dont do 2G its the same in London if you go out of their locations thats it you have no signal they dont have this back up with another network. Honestly They are great in value and calls seem perfect. I only ever rang CC once to cancel voicemail and have never rang since im with them a good year left O2 because they cost a fortune at the time and didnt have broadband in my area. I lived in dublin last year and i can safely say its perfect (for me).

What i first done was pick up a free sim stick it in a 3g enabled phone a brought it around to see where i could get signal, it worked so i joined. I recommend doing that it helps

Hope that helps and you find the best network.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 _coinin_

Thanks for the info.

You should sign up with Tesco mobile. They operate on the O2 signal. They have better rates for calling aboard and within Ireland. Plus 3G too

_coinin_ wrote: »
    You should sign up with Tesco mobile. They operate on the O2 signal. They have better rates for calling aboard and within Ireland. Plus 3G too

ok great info.
    Thanks everyone!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

The €10 a month for unlimited calls tand texts to any mobile network from 48months.ie is worth looking at. They use O2 network. €20 will get you 3Gb of data a month on top .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Most of the networks have free payg sims (except vodafone who charge for it but it comes with the same credit, I think it's 10euro). Then as jhcx said pop it in a 3G phone and test the signal where you'll live work and play. Pick the combination of best network signal with price.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Just switched from 3 to Tesco, internet signal on tesco is miles ahead of 3. Would have constant drops with 3 when in the car, or even down in wexford where I go at times got no signal, full signal with Tesco. As they use the o2 network they are pritty well covered. 3 used to constantly drop to roaming on Vodafone, even in Dublin city... 3 are cheap, cheaper than Tesco but I'm delighted I changed as the internet data is something that got extremely frustrating with all the drops (and data roaming on vodafone would cost you)

Nick

yoyo wrote: »
    Just switched from 3 to Tesco, internet signal on tesco is miles ahead of 3. Would have constant drops with 3 when in the car, or even down in wexford where I go at times got no signal, full signal with Tesco. As they use the o2 network they are pritty well covered. 3 used to constantly drop to roaming on Vodafone, even in Dublin city... 3 are cheap, cheaper than Tesco but I'm delighted I changed as the internet data is something that got extremely frustrating with all the drops (and data roaming on vodafone would cost you)

Nick

Slightly "ot" but what speeds are you getting on tesco yoyo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Just an fyi that data speeds are currently capped at 2mbps. Post from Paul
    cookie1977 wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Matt Bauer

3 have Ireland's widest 3G coverage, but O2 have a great EDGE network and you won't be roaming on Vodafone's ageing GPRS network.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

cookie1977 wrote: »

I'd nearly say the Three speeds are better (when you are connected!) but as I just use the data for mobile browsing/email checking on the go they are tollerable. It probably is capped at 2mb as above, but I am happy to just be able maintain a stable connection than bursts of good speed when 3 has signal.
    I was using the data to tether (tesco actually allow this, 3 don't) down in wexford and for general browsing it was fine, also on the car journey down the network dropped only once, on 3 I wouldn't have had a connection for 95% of the journey in the past, just in the towns even then that was hit an miss

Nick

Cheers. 2mb's is fine if that's what you can get. I'm with meteor who allow tethering and I'm getting 2-4mbs.

• Advertisement

Ogham wrote: »
    The €10 a month for unlimited calls tand texts to any mobile network from 48months.ie is worth looking at. They use O2 network. €20 will get you 3Gb of data a month on top .

The rates are quite good.
    But is it allowed for people above 22 years old?? I am older than 22 years.
    I saw this on their website :
    We're not for everyone

If you're living in those reckless 48 months between your 18th and 22nd birthday, step right on up. If not, we're not the network for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Yep, you are allowed. It's a very silly marketing campaign.

Just on 3Ireland - their 20 euro/month PAYG offer is very good and is hard to beat. However, I switched away from them recently mainly because of the 2G/3G switching problem and no tethering.
    The rates are quite good.
    But is it allowed for people above 22 years old?? I am older than 22 years.
    I saw this on their website :
    We're not for everyone
    If you're living in those reckless 48 months between your 18th and 22nd birthday, step right on up. If not, we're not the network for you.

Advertisement