Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man loses his life after Drogheda assault...

Options
  • 25-07-2012 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭

http://www.thejournal.ie/man-53-dead-altercation-drogheda-532634-Jul2012/

This is really shocking and doesn't surprise me one bit... Drogheda's always been rough but lately there seems to be a different breed of little scumbags roaming the streets!!
    From witnessing certain assaults on West St. It doesn't seem like the cops are too bothered getting involved either!
    I'm sure that might ire some Guards, but this seems to be the general belief from most ordinary joe soaps..
    it's time for a new approach to deal with these little c*#ts!!

edited this to pay respects to Deepak's family on their tragic loss.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

I work right beside bessexwell lane and didnt notice a thing on the day of the assault. Will be keeping an eye on the more dodgey looking lads in the area now, this sort of sh#t is crazy. I wonder what it was over

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭kormak

2:30pm during a normal working day?!! absolutely crazy...
    Wouldn't surprise me if it was over something trivial either

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Mr. Muddle

This is just terrible, the Man was a local professional who's office was nearby. I heard on Monday that he was taken to hospital and was on life support later I heard that he had been attacked the previous Thursday, 2.30 in the center of town is just mad.

My deepest sympathies to his Wife and Children.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

Poor man RIP. Thoughts and prayers with his family.

Whats bugging me about this is the timeline - assault occurs on a Thursday, by Sunday an undetected injury as a result of the assault hospitalises the victim, its likely that it was a head injury as he was transferred to Beaumont and dies today. (I hope an injury wasnt missed iff he recieved medical attention in the aftermath of the attack!)

Now the Gardaí are appealing for witnesses a week later. Why the delay? Was assault not deemed serious enough to look for witnesses last week whereas now as its a Manslaughter/Murder investigation retrospectively an appeal is made. The main witness is tragically dead and time is lost.

How many times are such assaults perpetrated by scum out on bail, on early release or have a rap sheet the length of a bog roll? I am definately becoming more and more right wing when it comes to crime prevention and punishment. How about a penal regiment of the Irish Army where young multiple offenders are put through the discipline and (non agressive) skills of basic training rather than sticking them in the 5* hotels that are our prisons. Lets see them shovelling snow in the winter, on parade 5am, posted to cleaning type duties, back in their bunks at a set time. Make them appreciate their freedom and dread the possibility of marching accross a mountain range with full kit etc. 6 months could sort them out with a decent drill seargant.

Apologies for the raving rant:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

maybe he didnt report it to the guards?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,359 ✭✭✭positron

Oh man, I just heard who it was - I have met him in the past and he is an absolute gentleman and a top class professional. He has numerous qualifications and is very well respected in his field of work. I can not express how sad I am right now, for more than one reason - and this will come as a huge shock and a cause of concern to a certain group (don't want to insinuate specific motives etc) of people in Drogheda.

Thoughts and prayers with his family and children.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭kormak

A hard working decent individual simply trying to move a couple of low-life scum away from his business premises?!
    it's repulsive to think this could have happened in broad daylight just off one of Drogheda's main thoroughfares.
    I have to say I'm with Nesta99 on this, it's high time for a new and unforgiving approach in dealing with these crimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭highlandseoghan

Nesta99 you have the right idea in dealing with these people. Thoughts are with this poor mans family and friends. Id love to know when the guards first heard about this. Why did the guards only start appealing for witnesses when he died? That area is busy during the day someone has to have seen something. Hopefully there is cctv or something to catch these people.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Mr. Muddle

This explains why the guards didn't look into further on Thursday.

Deepac Abbi did the survey work on our house both times we moved, a lovely man and a gentleman, this is just so needless and sad.

From this article: http://www.independent.ie/national-news/dead-dad-ordered-teens-to-move-away-from-his-premises-3180646.html

Mr Abbi, an architect, was pushed up against a wall after he ordered three teenagers to move away from his premises in Drogheda last Thursday.

Witnesses have told gardai that one of the three pushed him up against the wall of Boylesports bookie's shop and he fell to the ground.

Gardai were called to the scene but the three 16-year-olds had disappeared.

Mr Abbi told officers he was not hurt and did not wish to make a formal complaint.

But he collapsed at his home on Sunday afternoon and was rushed to Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital in Drogheda. His condition rapidly deteriorated and he was transferred to Beaumont Hospital in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Very sad indeed.
    Nesta99 wrote: »
    Now the Gardaí are appealing for witnesses a week later. Why the delay? Was assault not deemed serious enough to look for witnesses last week whereas now as its a Manslaughter/Murder investigation retrospectively an appeal is made.
    According to reports, witnesses came forward at the scene. CCTV footage was reviewed and the Gardai know who was involved. No formal complaint was made so not much the Gardai can do after that.

Now that the incident may be more serious (it's yet to be established if Mr Abbi's death had anything to do with the scuffle), Gardai have renewed their appeal so they can gather as much evidence as possible.

I don't think the Gardai should have done anything differently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

This whole situation is disgusting and upsetting. I am immensely angry at the increasing numbers of this particular type of incident. 99% of these incidents don't result in something as tragic as death, and never meet make the news. They do however result in fear, stress, anxiety, and other ripples in the pond of our life. What incidents do I refer to you ask? I mean the instances of intimidation, assault, hassling and harassment, of normal citizens by 'gangs' of 'feral' youth. I use the word feral to describe animal behaviour conducted by a person who has zero respect for the rule of law, and zero respect for his fellow citizen. No boundaries. No expectation of consequence to his actions. A dangerous mix. Normal citizens are out there walking to work and must feel the fear and intimidation every day when they pass a gang of youth who sometimes remark, comment, and increasingly, bump into, trip up, shoulder, spit, or some other way verbally or physically assault a person. It's tolerated. It's accepted. This situation is wholly unacceptable. The man who died, allegedly did not wish to make a formal complaint to Gardai. And why would he?! The youths would still be there tomorrow, and know where his premises are. They would no doubt have vandalized his premises, and the harassment/intimidation would get worse. I have lived on the continent over the years, and I can tell you that this behaviour is NOT accepted. Gangs of youth are not tolerated in business areas, or tourist areas, or anywhere where the general population move about their business. They are moved on. After a while, they get the message they cannot hang out there and interfere with productive members of society. The police on the continent are more "serious" and less easy to lampoon. They are formidable. Many are armed with visible truncheons worn on the outside and will use them if required. They give the impression of fit, lean, serious, formidable entities who demand respect. The Gardai (and I am sorry if I offend some people here) in my own opinion are for the most part, overweight, unfit, and not formidable in the way law enforcement needs to be. Additionally, the youth are not intimidated by the Gardai because they know they won't get involved with them unless a crime has been committed and reported and a witness is prepared to implicate this gang. No formal complaint for assault means you cannot touch me etc. Even if I get arrested I'll be released in an hour or two. even if I get tried with killing someone in an unprovoked assault I might serve 2 years for manslaughter. Two years for killing a person with a family, a life, a business etc.
    As a citizen, I DEMAND protection from intimidation, harassment, and assault as I go about my daily life as a productive member of society. These youth don't pay taxes to fund the government and gardai, I do! It's not acceptable to me that the Gardai allow these people to congregate in areas where they can intimidate me, and the onus is on ME to raise a formal complaint when I'm spit on or assaulted. Get out of the damn patrol car, and physically manhandle them away from areas where society does business. There must be laws against loitering in a gang and spitting at people and verbally and physically abusing them. No? Really? Of course there are acts that could be invoked to move these people away from the rest of us.
    This country, it's law enforcement, is failing it's citizens by implicitly sanctioning these situations to occur due to passive inaction.
    Are we gone too PC, where the Gardai have no mandate to physically hump on this kind of degenerate youth who hangs around without justification.
    When and if this situation happens to me (as it did when I was a younger person) I will take the actions I feel I need to, to protect myself, my family, my business, my property, and my LIFE.
    I'd never advocate taking the law into your own hands or confronting this element, and I actively avoid these people and thereby these situations, but... sometimes you might find yourself in a confrontation with this element that you cannot escape. Walking through a laneway etc. Returning to your car in a public carpark. Walking to catch your bus or train. If you turn back, this is more dangerous many times.
    I'd rather be judged by 12 peers then carried by 6 friends as the saying goes. As long as this element is permitted to congregate without reason in public places where productive members of society do business, this situation will repeat. and repeat. and repeat.
    These situations are so common now that when a productive member of society physically injures someone who spits on them or trips them up, or just pushes them against a wall, he will be taken to court for excessive assault when he jumps up and down on the person. nobody mentions the years of "priming" this productive person has undergone through fear, intimidation, stress, etc. I'll take my chances in court. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,359 ✭✭✭positron

100gSoma wrote: »
    This country, it's law enforcement, is failing it's citizens by implicitly sanctioning these situations to occur due to passive inaction.

I totally agree with you on this. It's beyond ridiculous how soft the state is on criminals and how little is being done to protect decent ordinary people.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Sempai

Get out of the damn patrol car, and physically manhandle them away from areas where society does business.

Are we gone too PC, where the Gardai have no mandate to physically hump on this kind of degenerate youth who hangs around without justification.

Years ago, they probably would have done that...but now it's a case of "touch me and i'll go to the Ombudsman". Bring back the old school ways of dealing with these young yobs.
    And I agree with Nesta99, it's something that should be done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

people spoke on here a few months ago when a taxi driver was assaulted, here we are a few months later with a much more serious outcome- not belittling the taxi driver case- what will be next? we are not safe to walk the streets of our local towns and villages anymore, and nothing is being done about it.... I was in dunleer 2 weeks ago around 7pm, there was a group of around twelve teeanagers( probably 14 year olds) standing blocking the door of the local supermarket, i felt very intimidated at their carry on and wondered what will they be like in a few years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Carra23

Nesta99 wrote: »
    Poor man RIP. Thoughts and prayers with his family.

Whats bugging me about this is the timeline - assault occurs on a Thursday, by Sunday an undetected injury as a result of the assault hospitalises the victim, its likely that it was a head injury as he was transferred to Beaumont and dies today. (I hope an injury wasnt missed iff he recieved medical attention in the aftermath of the attack!)

Now the Gardaí are appealing for witnesses a week later. Why the delay? Was assault not deemed serious enough to look for witnesses last week whereas now as its a Manslaughter/Murder investigation retrospectively an appeal is made. The main witness is tragically dead and time is lost.

How many times are such assaults perpetrated by scum out on bail, on early release or have a rap sheet the length of a bog roll? I am definately becoming more and more right wing when it comes to crime prevention and punishment. How about a penal regiment of the Irish Army where young multiple offenders are put through the discipline and (non agressive) skills of basic training rather than sticking them in the 5* hotels that are our prisons. Lets see them shovelling snow in the winter, on parade 5am, posted to cleaning type duties, back in their bunks at a set time. Make them appreciate their freedom and dread the possibility of marching accross a mountain range with full kit etc. 6 months could sort them out with a decent drill seargant.

Apologies for the raving rant:mad:

You shouldn't apologise because its not a rant, it's simply your reaction to an intolerable situation.

Instances like this are happening more frequently in towns all over the country and frankly, its not acceptable.

I hate to generalise and make assumptions etc, but I would guess the people involved here do not contribute to our society in a meaningful way and are more than likely a burden on the state.

There has been a noticable, sharp rise in fatal assaults, armed robberies and general serious anti social behaviour nationwide over the last year or maybe two. The incident in the Pheonix Park recently is a prime example.

I think if the Government dont respond soon with some corrective action they should fear a backlash from the people via vigilanty groups taking the law into their own hands. We have taken alot of pain through all of the austerity since 2008, but so far we have taken it all on the chin.

I believe all this anti social behaviour is one of the side effects of the austerity that we have had to experience for 4 years on the trot.

Your point about a penal regiment as punishment is a good idea, but we need to focus on solutions rather than answers.

If we could introduce conscription and ensure that people either stay in school to complete their leaving cert or are forced into the army until they reach leaving cert age, I think that would go some way to improving the attitude of some of the youth whose behaviour is out of hand.

Its sad to see so many decent innocent people, not only loosing their lives but having their lives interfered with by people who have no business doing so.

Hope we see something change soon because its bloody obvious we need a change asap !

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Carra23

This whole situation is disgusting and upsetting. I am immensely angry at the increasing numbers of this particular type of incident. 99% of these incidents don't result in something as tragic as death, and never meet make the news. They do however result in fear, stress, anxiety, and other ripples in the pond of our life. What incidents do I refer to you ask? I mean the instances of intimidation, assault, hassling and harassment, of normal citizens by 'gangs' of 'feral' youth. I use the word feral to describe animal behaviour conducted by a person who has zero respect for the rule of law, and zero respect for his fellow citizen. No boundaries. No expectation of consequence to his actions. A dangerous mix. Normal citizens are out there walking to work and must feel the fear and intimidation every day when they pass a gang of youth who sometimes remark, comment, and increasingly, bump into, trip up, shoulder, spit, or some other way verbally or physically assault a person. It's tolerated. It's accepted. This situation is wholly unacceptable. The man who died, allegedly did not wish to make a formal complaint to Gardai. And why would he?! The youths would still be there tomorrow, and know where his premises are. They would no doubt have vandalized his premises, and the harassment/intimidation would get worse. I have lived on the continent over the years, and I can tell you that this behaviour is NOT accepted. Gangs of youth are not tolerated in business areas, or tourist areas, or anywhere where the general population move about their business. They are moved on. After a while, they get the message they cannot hang out there and interfere with productive members of society. The police on the continent are more "serious" and less easy to lampoon. They are formidable. Many are armed with visible truncheons worn on the outside and will use them if required. They give the impression of fit, lean, serious, formidable entities who demand respect. The Gardai (and I am sorry if I offend some people here) in my own opinion are for the most part, overweight, unfit, and not formidable in the way law enforcement needs to be. Additionally, the youth are not intimidated by the Gardai because they know they won't get involved with them unless a crime has been committed and reported and a witness is prepared to implicate this gang. No formal complaint for assault means you cannot touch me etc. Even if I get arrested I'll be released in an hour or two. even if I get tried with killing someone in an unprovoked assault I might serve 2 years for manslaughter. Two years for killing a person with a family, a life, a business etc.
    As a citizen, I DEMAND protection from intimidation, harassment, and assault as I go about my daily life as a productive member of society. These youth don't pay taxes to fund the government and gardai, I do! It's not acceptable to me that the Gardai allow these people to congregate in areas where they can intimidate me, and the onus is on ME to raise a formal complaint when I'm spit on or assaulted. Get out of the damn patrol car, and physically manhandle them away from areas where society does business. There must be laws against loitering in a gang and spitting at people and verbally and physically abusing them. No? Really? Of course there are acts that could be invoked to move these people away from the rest of us.
    When and if this situation happens to me (as it did when I was a younger person) I will take the actions I feel I need to, to protect myself, my family, my business, my property, and my LIFE.
    I'd never advocate taking the law into your own hands or confronting this element, and I actively avoid these people and thereby these situations, but... sometimes you might find yourself in a confrontation with this element that you cannot escape. Walking through a laneway etc. Returning to your car in a public carpark. Walking to catch your bus or train. If you turn back, this is more dangerous many times.
    I'd rather be judged by 12 peers then carried by 6 friends as the saying goes. As long as this element is permitted to congregate without reason in public places where productive members of society do business, this situation will repeat. and repeat. and repeat.
    These situations are so common now that when a productive member of society physically injures someone who spits on them or trips them up, or just pushes them against a wall, he will be taken to court for excessive assault when he jumps up and down on the person. nobody mentions the years of "priming" this productive person has undergone through fear, intimidation, stress, etc. I'll take my chances in court. :mad:

Thats a fantastic post, even if it was hard to read !

And by the way, I would agree to a point about how incompetent our Gards are but, if you watch some youtube videos of how they treat ordinary decent Irish citizens down in Mayo at the 'Shell to sea' protests, you will see what they are capable of when protecting a private company ! If you go and watch them videos you will feel ashamed or at least you should do

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

whelan1 wrote: »
    people spoke on here a few months ago when a taxi driver was assaulted, here we are a few months later with a much more serious outcome- not belittling the taxi driver case- what will be next?

You're not belittling it at all. We got lucky; Dad's wounds were only superficial. It could have been worse. It could have been very similar to what has now happened, and it probably should have been. Looking at stories like this makes us realise how lucky he was to walk away. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭nealmac

I worked for Deepak about 15 years ago for a few years. He was indeed an absolute gentleman. A very friendly character that was rarely seen without a smile. Even 15 years later, I'm still in shock to learn of his loss. A very sad occurrence, for such a hard-working man, who was devoted to his family.

My thoughts are with his wife (who is equally as friendly), his son and his two daughters.

RIP :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

whelan1 wrote: »
    I was in dunleer 2 weeks ago around 7pm, there was a group of around twelve teeanagers( probably 14 year olds) standing blocking the door of the local supermarket, i felt very intimidated at their carry on and wondered what will they be like in a few years time.

I have family in Dunleer and know a lot of the kids that knock about the village as a result and i can say that the 14 year olds of dunleer are lightyears away from the ones in Drogheda.
    They might be intimidating, a few of them altogether in an area, but as it would be when any sort of crowd is.
    The difference is in Drogheda is usually they are a bunch of little scumbags who are plotting something because they literally have nothing better to do.

I feel so deeply saddened for this man's family as I would imagine he has only seen that area where his office was decline over the years and as a result probably knew there was no point in making a formal complaint because next week he could be out shooing them away again. :(

We as townsfolk need to stand up to these little muppets when confronted, but keep it in a public area of course. If we dont do something it can only get worse. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

CMpunked wrote: »
    I have family in Dunleer and know a lot of the kids that knock about the village as a result and i can say that the 14 year olds of dunleer are lightyears away from the ones in Drogheda.
    They might be intimidating, a few of them altogether in an area, but as it would be when any sort of crowd is.
    The difference is in Drogheda is usually they are a bunch of little scumbags who are plotting something because they literally have nothing better to do.

I feel so deeply saddened for this man's family as I would imagine he has only seen that area where his office was decline over the years and as a result probably knew there was no point in making a formal complaint because next week he could be out shooing them away again. :(

We as townsfolk need to stand up to these little muppets when confronted, but keep it in a public area of course. If we dont do something it can only get worse. :mad:

This excuse really irks me , not saying you are making it for them mate I understand the point you make just picking the phrase out to make my point, "theres nothing for the kids to do" I'm in my early 30's and I can assure the good men and women of this country there is indeed plenty for them to do , certainly more than there was in my day yet we always found something to do that didn't cost money and we could congregate at the back of the old town center every saturday afternoon and not make a problem for people. When I'm home or even around my own area of dublin you never see a kid over 7/8 running the streets playing anymore, there are the same if not more kids in our area then when I was that age yet they don't seem to go out to play, the ones that are out are roaming around in groups causing bother, even groups of girls :eek:

There has been a generational shift in attitude among young people in this country where now the attitude is " I can do what I want, when I want and nobody is stopping me and I'll laugh at the consequences" Parents are to blame in part but sure even those who might care can't stop there little so and so's. I don't know where this has come from ????? I mean I was and I'm sure 99% of others of an age here were raised with respect and discipline to a degree, no I have no kids but if I did it would stand to reason I would raise then in the only way I know how ...... the way I was raised, yet parents of these kids who would be my age are not doing that ?????? I'm lost as to where the outright nastiness in todays youth has come from I really am, but really I would be in total support of the harder stance on this which is being called for by some here.

If a grown man on his own waking down the road can feel uncomfortable because of this filth I really hate to think of an older man or woman might feel.

I'm also mindful of the fact that there are many normal decent kids out there but unfortunately there just seems to be an abundance of this scum making their presence felt around the country.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I'm also mindful of the fact that there are many normal decent kids out there but unfortunately there just seems to be an abundance of this scum making their presence felt around the country.

Its true. I mean, I grew up in Drogheda and I don't feel the need to go out and stab people.

Still....Unfortunatly, I think a lot of the problems stem from the fact the kids are thrown out on the streets at sunrise and not let back in till late, and I can't imagine there's enough to do for 14 hours a day, 7 days a week. That's not to blame the town; it's not up to Drogheda and other towns to babysit these kids.....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

calex71 wrote: »
    This excuse really irks me , not saying you are making it for them mate I understand the point you make just picking the phrase out to make my point, "theres nothing for the kids to do"

Oh don't get me wrong, there's a million and one things for them to do.
    But i mean the way they see it theres nothing worthwhile doing than just standing around looking for trouble.
    Its not an excuse i'm giving it because like yourself, i know its not the solid concrete reason as to why they are the way they are. I suppose you could say its more of a case that theres nothing else they would want to do.

It's the lack of respect, I think above all else. Back in our youth we were taught to respect our elders, that one day we might need to seek their help and it always works in your favor if they know you.
    So we were brought up to smile and step out of the way, hold the door open and generally look out for anyone older than us.
    You look at kids now and that's what's lacking in their upbringings. Why should they respect and aspire to be like someone older when they can just stick on the telly and see what are meant to be adults screaming and shouting at each other on the likes of Jeremy Kyle?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

Very nice man - used to be a neighbor.

That lane has always been a cesspit of humanity have had countless incidents myself with people down there (used to be there at all hours, 5/6 am, 9/10/11 at night working), and I've NEVER seen a foot patrol down there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Very nice man - used to be a neighbor.

That lane has always been a cesspit of humanity have had countless incidents myself with people down there (used to be there at all hours, 5/6 am, 9/10/11 at night working), and I've NEVER seen a foot patrol down there.

Thing is I used to have a friend who lived in the apartments there so was a regular visitor during the day and after a night out as it was a handy place to just crash and walk home in the morning and never once did I encounter anyone nasty.... that was 10 years ago and now I sound like an ould fella :o

Advertisement