Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Puppy - RAW Food Diary

• 25-07-2012 1:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭

Having just got a new labrador pup and having already owned an older Norwegian Elkhound that we took for a family member, I've been doing a fair bit of research into dog food.

There's no doubting that Orijen appears to be the best available. However, its cost seems to have risen rapidly in the last two years and its now near €100 for a 13kg bag. Taste of the Wild seems to be the most affordable option that has a low grain content but it still costs €55 for a 13.6kg bag, which is quite expensive.

So, following my research, I've decided that the best dog and most affordable dog food is.... no dog food!!! Well not a dog food as we know it anyway. Having spoken to Dogsfirst on here by pm and taken some advice from the Dogsfirst website, I'm going to try a raw diet for the puppy. I looked into it before and thought it'd be alot of hassle as I had alot on at the time but having the ingredients listed out on the site in detail makes it look alot easier.

I was always fond of giving meat and bones to my dogs along with their normal food anyway. Another factor which influenced me was that I picked up €2 worth of liver from a local supermarket the other day and was surprised by the amount I got. When I could get that much of a fresh meat for €2, why bother buying 13kg bags for €60?

This weekend I'll be off to the supermarket to get the ingredients and will let people know how the puppy gets on if some are interested. I've already started feeding her a different type of meat each day along with the Beta puppy food the breeder had her on. She's ten weeks and so far she has had chicken, tuna, liver and eggs raw with no problem. The plan is to make up the food as per the Dogsfirst website this weekend and continue giving her two meals of nuts a day along with the raw food. I'll see how she does with the one portion of raw a day and then move her up to two and eventually hopefully three.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

Best of luck with it... I switched to raw a few months ago and it's one of the best decisions I ever made. It costs less per week than Taste of the Wild (which I used to feed) and my dogs are thriving.

It did take a few weeks to get the hang of it but now that I have a routine going it's so easy. :cool:

Advertisement