Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Website Stats - Diff between G.Analytics and Hoster stats

Options
  • 25-07-2012 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

I have a small website that has been live for a over 18 months now. Traffic is low but I am staring to ramp up activity there and hope to kick-start the commercial side of it in a couple of months.

Anyhow in April I starred to use Google Analytics for website statistics and I found that there are huge differences between the traffic that my web hoster's stats tell me I get compared to what Google Analytics tells me. Often my hoster's stats are reporting 15 times (yes 15x) more 'visits' than Google Analytics. I don't think that it is down to my understanding of the stats (definitions below). Anyone have any ideas why this could be?

The 'visits' definition are below
    Hoster Visits occur when some remote site makes a request for a page on your server for the first time. As long as the same site keeps making requests within a given timeout period, they will all be considered part of the same Visit. If the site makes a request to your server, and the length of time since the last request is greater than the specified timeout period (default is 30 minutes), a new Visit is started and counted, and the sequence repeats. Since only pages will trigger a visit, remotes sites that link to graphic and other non- page URLs will not be counted in the visit totals, reducing the number of false visits.

Google Analytics Unique Visitors is the number of unduplicated (counted only once) visitors to your website over the course of a specified time period.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

Google Analytics tends to deal only with browser/human visits. Search engine spiders and scrapers that do not load the GA javascript are not counted by Google Analytics but they may be counted by the website's analytics. The main search engines are Google, Microsoft/Bing, Yahoo and you may also see crawlers from Yandex and Baidu.

Regards...jmcc

Advertisement