Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Over reaction?

• 25-07-2012 1:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭

Hi all, as many people know from the picture thread I take my terrier Moone to work with me quite regularly.

This past Monday, two days ago, she was in with me again. She is always kept on her leash. She is a people dog, she loves everybody even the ones who have no interest in her :o

Just coming up to closing time a woman with three kids and an obese cairn terrier cross westie, not on a lead. When the dogs first met all was going great, the dog was twice the height and size of Moone. About 10/15 minutes later the dog rushed over and grabbed moone by the neck and shook her around snarling and pushing her onto the ground, the kids were screaming (mother no where to be found) which didn't help the situation nor did anybody else come over to help they stood watching! I had to yank moone up by the lead three times (strangling her) before I could get her into my arms with the other dog hanging out of her back end. In trying to get at Moone the dog bit and scratched my leg and managed to get my arm with its nails, I had to knee it to get it off me. Probably wasn't the smartest thing lifting her into my arms but I wasn't going to stick my hands down.

The mother eventually came over and called her dog which was still jumping up at me growling as I was going to the store room to get away from it. She then started petting her dog and not a word of an appology! I was so angry but kept my mouth shut and kept going. It was only when I got to the canteen that I noticed Moone was pouring blood from her neck and back right leg, didn't notice I was bleeding until then either. It's nothing that requires stitching, I've been keeping the areas clean.

My question is should I have said anything to the mother or was I right in staying quiet? It just amazes me with her stupidity at knowing she has an aggressive dog yet still allows it offlead :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

If it was me I definitely would have said something, but sometimes in the heat of the moment you're just in shock and it can be difficult to get your head straight let alone berate someone about their animal's unruly behaviour. I'm sure if you did say something though you would have been meet with the usual ''Oh they were only playing'' tripe.

Do you know who this woman is, is she a regular customer? If so I would have no hesitation in getting any medical expenses covered, eg a tetanus booster if you were bitten, or a check up for Moone, even if no stitches were required. Might cop her on to realising that that kind of behaviour is completely unacceptable!

Hope both you and Moone are okay though!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 SpyderCats

OMG :eek: How are you and Moone now? That's disgraceful behavior on the part of the other dog owner. I can understand how you didn't say anything at the time as you must have been extremely shocked.

If the women comes in again with the dog I would tell her that the dog is no longer welcome and point out that both you and your dog suffered from injuries and required medical attention.

If she comes in again without the dog I would point out the same thing, I would probably say something like "Oh thank god you didn't bring the dog with you today". I would let the women know I was annoyed but remember to try and stay as calm as possible as it is in your place of work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

She could be a regular, I couldn't tell to be honest theres so many people in but I didn't recognize her. I was so angry

We're both ok thanks, I'm just a little shocked at how quick it happened. She's not limping or in any pain thank god.
    We've since put a sign up that all dogs must be kept on a leash and under control, what differance it'll make to some customers I don't know. I doubt she will be back but if she is she'll definetly be given a warning

• Registered Users Posts: 40 SpyderCats

Glad to hear your both okay now :) I don't think you'll be seeing her again either unless she decides to come back to apologise, I doubt she will but you never know.

I've seen photos that you've put up of Moone in the other thread and she is absolutely beautiful by the way :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

Thanks guys

Decided I'm going to leave her at home for the rest of the week then take her back in next week :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Galway 11

What an awful thing to happen to you. I'd imagine that sooner or later she will get her comeuppance. Idiots should not be allowed own dogs.

Advertisement