Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to get a Raspberry Pi

Options
  • 25-07-2012 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Does anybody have any links or anything to getting the Raspberry Pi in Ireland. All sites seem to be for UK with mad prices for delivery to the UK. Ebay is almost twice the cost of anywhere else. Would really like to get my hands on one of these
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i ordered mine from these guys: http://raspberrypi.rsdelivers.com/default.aspx?cl=1

and: http://export.farnell.com/rp/order/

the reason they are so expensive on ebay etc. is because they are in high demand and short supply, so you need to express your interest on the above sites and they will email you when your order has been accepted and then wait for it to be shipped.

i registered my interest in them at the end of may and was able to order mine on the 25th June and one was just shipped the other day, so the lead time is a lot less now than it has been in the past.

you just have to be patient and wait until you are at the front of the queue to get yours, unless you want to pay through the nose.

here's my order, inc. two cases and psu's (for the other one i ordered from the other supplier above)

Qty Description Unit Price Goods Value
    1 Raspberry Pi Type B Single Board Computer 27.40€ 27.40€
    2 Micro USB UK power supply for Raspberry Pi 6.58€ 13.16€
    2 Raspberry Pi Type B Case - Clear 5.06€ 10.12€
    Running Total 50.68€
    Tax 10.14€
    Standard Delivery 6.28€
    Order total 67.10€ (Despatch expected within 12 week(s) from 30th Jun)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Farnell are open to general orders now, as are RS - so you can just pop along and order one. I've received today one of the batch of five I ordered last week, which is impressive as they're quoting 3-5 weeks from order to delivery.

You can get the Irish Farnell order page here, or the RS Online order page (not specifically for Ireland) here. Slightly worrying that RS are saying an 18 week lead time though :eek:

Fysh wrote: »
    Farnell are open to general orders now, as are RS - so you can just pop along and order one. I've received today one of the batch of five I ordered last week, which is impressive as they're quoting 3-5 weeks from order to delivery.
    kind of worrying for me that i ordered mine almost a month ago from the same supplier after waiting a month before that after registering to be able to even order it and it's only just been shipped and you ordered yours last week and already have it. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13 alfaealba

thanks a lot guys, got myself added to the list.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

vibe666 wrote: »
    kind of worrying for me that i ordered mine almost a month ago from the same supplier after waiting a month before that after registering to be able to even order it and it's only just been shipped and you ordered yours last week and already have it. :(

Bear in mind I ordered 5, and they think they've sent me 5 (well, their order tracking system does) but I've only received 1. Crossed wires somewhere, methinks...

I think they're intentionally suggesting long lead times to avoid disappointment in the event of delays.

• Advertisement

will hopefully have the first one in time for the weekend anyway to play with. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

http://www.adverts.ie/other-computers/raspberry-pi/1885481

Might be for you, OP, if you need the RPi _NOW_!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

Farnell seem to be the Platinum partner so to speak. Friend ordered one about 4 weeks ago and it arrived 2 weeks ago.

I ordered one from Farnell just before July and got it mid July whereas I ordered one from RS a few days later and still no sign.

P1ssed off with RS because I ordered 2 cases and a HDMI cable from them.

championc wrote: »
    Farnell seem to be the Platinum partner so to speak. Friend ordered one about 4 weeks ago and it arrived 2 weeks ago.

I ordered one from Farnell just before July and got it mid July whereas I ordered one from RS a few days later and still no sign.

P1ssed off with RS because I ordered 2 cases and a HDMI cable from them.
    same here,not sure what the story is. :(

Got a reply to my email this morning

"Due to unexpected demand Europe, Asia and America our supply has been heavily outweighed by demand. We are working to get a new batch of boards manufactured as soon as possible and our lead-times take this in to account. Your order should be dispatched early September."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

I already said that Farnell are the ones to go with. You'll only have a 3 week wait at the very most

championc wrote: »
    Got a reply to my email this morning

"Due to unexpected demand Europe, Asia and America our supply has been heavily outweighed by demand. We are working to get a new batch of boards manufactured as soon as possible and our lead-times take this in to account. Your order should be dispatched early September."
    i just cancelled my order with RS, I can do a fresh order with farnell today and still have it before RS would have shipped my original order.

would have been a good little order for them too, a couple of cases and psu's and some other bits as well. if i were them i'd be having serious words with their suppliers. at this rate they could order them from Farnell themselves and sell them on quicker than they could do with their own suppliers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Maplin are to stock them soon.

fionny wrote: »
    Maplin are to stock them soon.
    awesome, i'll look forward to paying €75 for them soon then! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

awesome, i'll look forward to paying €75 for them soon then! :D

Yeah, for that kinda money you'll get ARM based mini PCs elsewhere already. In proper case, CPU 3 times as powerful, 512 MB RAM, 4 GB flash drive, LAN, WLAN, the works. ;)

i cottoned onto maplin pretty quickly a few years back when i was trying to buy an IrDA adapter from them.

it was in their catalogue at about 25 quid at the time, which actually wasn't a bad price back then, so i went in to get one, but they were closed for stocktaking or doing some big inventory or some such, so i had to come back the next day. I went in and picked one up and took it to the till:

maplin guy: no problem, that'll be 75 quid please.
    me: er, no, i think you'll find it's 25.
    maplin guy: no, the price went up.
    me: i don't think so, it's in the catalogue at 25 and it's over there on the shelf with a price tag showing that it's 25, here, have a look.
    maplin guy: yeah, that was the old price, but it went up, it's 75 now.

at which point he takes the price off the shelf, scrunches it up and puts it in his pocket, shortly followed by me mumbling forget about it and wandering out of the shop.

in case mr maplin is reading this, i should point out that this was about 12 years ago and my old grey matter isn't as sharp as it was, so i'm paraphrasing, but that was pretty much what happened, give or take a few of the finer details.

anyway, the short version of that story is that i won't be buying any in maplin any time soon. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Proxy

Ordered my Pi last Wednesday from Farnell and I just got a mail today (Tuesday) saying it's been shipped from the warehouse, should have it by Friday going on previous orders from them. Not a bad turnaround :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭DeadParrot

Ordered from RS on 17th July and nothing yet :(

DeadParrot wrote: »
    save yourself some bother and cancel the order and re-order from farnell now and you'll have it in a couple of weeks versus who knows when from RS.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=80542606

• Advertisement

I'm waiting for mine since about 24th June and while they quoted 11 weeks and were holding to this, they've added a further 5 onto this so I'm not impressed at all. Good job I got my Farnell one already so I'm not too stuck because I have kicked on with another project that I wanted one for.

I tried to get RS to split my Cases and HDMI cable from the Pi in my order but they refused. They offerred to just cancel the whole order but Farnell don't do Cases.

EDIT: I've just seen Proxy's response earlier today so I have now Cancelled my RS order. I'll get my cases off eBay instead

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭DeadParrot

RS still not delivered and now say lead time is out till january.
    What a ****ing joke. Have gotten another in the meantime but still, that's ridiculous

RS still not delivered and now say lead time is out till january.
    What a ****ing joke. Have gotten another in the meantime but still, that's ridiculous
    i rest my case. ;)
    save yourself some bother and cancel the order and re-order from farnell now and you'll have it in a couple of weeks versus who knows when from RS.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=80542606

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Patrickof

I ordered one from newit.co.uk recently and got it in about a week.

Advertisement