Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

28 grade 2 Faults and a grade 3 (pretest)

Options
  • 25-07-2012 2:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭

Hey so today i did a pretest with a driving instructor, so i managed to get 28 grade 2's and a grade 3 for reversing onto a curb while doing the reverse :-( My test is on friday week, my question is is it possible to fix all this in less then 8 days. Has anyone done this bad in a pretest only to pass the test?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Hey so today i did a pretest with a driving instructor, so i managed to get 28 grade 2's and a grade 3 for reversing onto a curb while doing the reverse :-( My test is on friday week, my question is is it possible to fix all this in less then 8 days. Has anyone done this bad in a pretest only to pass the test?

You can do it. Practise! And best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

I think you're expected to do poorly in a pretest! I think the whole point is to see where you're going wrong and practice to try and correct those things. I'd try to get a second pretest in before your actual test and I'm sure you'll see lots of improvement and get a few more last minute things to keep in mind on the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ITS_A_BADGER

Ill try my best ive been spending an hour every evening praticing driving and getting lessons 2 days a week, ive a lesson tomorrow and gona book one for tues and thur next week- test is on friday morning ill post and tell all in the afternoon, im not feeling so confident about it tho

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 57 ✭✭DaveyDriving

Ill try my best ive been spending an hour every evening praticing driving and getting lessons 2 days a week, ive a lesson tomorrow and gona book one for tues and thur next week- test is on friday morning ill post and tell all in the afternoon, im not feeling so confident about it tho

Depends a bit on what the faults are for , are they concentrated in two or three areas or are they across every section of the test sheet? If its just a few areas these may be easy enough to sort out. Best of luck and just keep driving every minute you can between now and test day.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭rsom

Also, ask your instructor if he/she marked you for every single error. EG...if you went wide on a left turn, were you marked for position + speed + observation?

A tester will determine which aspect caused the incorrect position and mark accordingly.....so if the wide turn was caused by too much speed then a mark will be given under speed but not under position. A driving error is seldom double marked.

I dislike giving pretests for the very reason that you explain - it has now put a dent in your confidence. I much prefer to do an intensive pretest assesment a couple of weeks before the test and then do remedial work and continued practise to allow the student to identify their own errors and build confidence.

• Advertisement

rsom wrote: »
    Also, ask your instructor if he/she marked you for every single error. EG...if you went wide on a left turn, were you marked for position + speed + observation?

A tester will determine which aspect caused the incorrect position and mark accordingly.....so if the wide turn was caused by too much speed then a mark will be given under speed but not under position. A driving error is seldom double marked.

I dislike giving pretests for the very reason that you explain - it has now put a dent in your confidence. I much prefer to do an intensive pretest assesment a couple of weeks before the test and then do remedial work and continued practise to allow the student to identify their own errors and build confidence.

To be honest i was kinda shocked at the number of faults i had accumulated that i kinda was just like oh my god and kinda blanked at where he was telling me where i got them all, i knew i instantly failed by reversing up on the kerb anyway so i knew it was out the window but the 28 grade 2's i was like omg im fu*kd when im doing the real test, because theres no way im gona be able to fix 28 faults in what is now esentially one week left, id at the very least have to nerf 21 faults if im gona pass in a weeks time :( he mentioned position,progression,observeration, and that i suck at reversing and a few more i think ill just have to work on them all every evening this weekend a next week, ill ask him again tomorrow which areas in really need to fix and practice till i run out of petrol!!

I guess this is gonna be my little online diary then :P

Done another pretest today, 20 grade 2's no grade 3 thank god, but sucked at observation at roundabouts (not looking aggressive enough) and not enough observation doing a turnabout, speed was a little bit of a problem i broke too harshly once, hazard awareness (not indicating for parked cars on the side of the road) also i conked out twice on a hill start :/ that sucked for me the most coz ive been practicing that and under test conditions i waznt able to do it, but my reversing has improved a bit! there is more but i just cant think of it right now ill edit when i do

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Not being mean or anything but it sounds like you're going for the test way too soon?

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    Not being mean or anything but it sounds like you're going for the test way too soon?

No i totally agree !!! like a dumbass i asked to be put on the cancellation list thinking that id wouldn't be called up for a test so quick so i was learning at my own pace with an instructor and then i got an email saying my test is on the 3rd of august i was like F'ck, so im trying my best to learn as much as i can between now and next friday, im out every evening for an hour practicing and getting lessons aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Its possible to reduce the faults and mistakes you are making on time for your test. Keep practising and keep an eye out for areas you are making mistakes in and work on them the best you can each day. You would need to be driving every day and practising town driving, turnabout, hillstart and reversing around a left corner each day in the lead up to the test. Keep calm, and be confident, give it your best shot! It be an experience for you anyway.

Be sure to know your technical checks and rules of the road.

The pretest is usually a good indicator of where you are at, what mistakes you are making and what you need to work on before the test. What you got in your pretest is just a mock test, its an indicator of how you are doing but on the day of the test you might do better though it takes a few pretests by gradually bringing down the faults before you improve and any chance of doing well in the test whether or not you pass. Keep focused and keep practising. Keep at it and try your best is all you can do.

If you been getting lessons and practising on a regular basis you should do ok on the day of the test. Doing nearly everything correctly gives you a good chance in passing,
    Best of luck with it!

• Advertisement

doovdela wrote: »
    Its possible to reduce the faults and mistakes you are making on time for your test. Keep practising and keep an eye out for areas you are making mistakes in and work on them the best you can each day. You would need to be driving every day and practising town driving, turnabout, hillstart and reversing around a left corner each day in the lead up to the test. Keep calm, and be confident, give it your best shot! It be an experience for you anyway.

Be sure to know your technical checks and rules of the road.

The pretest is usually a good indicator of where you are at, what mistakes you are making and what you need to work on before the test. What you got in your pretest is just a mock test, its an indicator of how you are doing but on the day of the test you might do better though it takes a few pretests by gradually bringing down the faults before you improve and any chance of doing well in the test whether or not you pass. Keep focused and keep practising. Keep at it and try your best is all you can do.

If you been getting lessons and practising on a regular basis you should do ok on the day of the test. Doing nearly everything correctly gives you a good chance in passing,
    Best of luck with it!

Thanks for the well wishes, yeah ive been out praticing evening for an hour this week and have another lesson presumably a pretest on tuesday and another one on thursday and ill probably go out friday morning for an hour before the test, I do feel a little better after all the practice ive been doing but not so much confident as to pass, but sher look its not the end of the world at least ill have done a driving test before an know what to expect if i do it again

Yes very true, its best to have experienced it and know what to expect for the next test. So what if you fail first time lots of people do. Try not to worry and put in as much practise as possible. Practise Practise Practise and prepare as much as you can! Work on your faults you are getting in the pre-tests to correct them for the test.

It might be worth doing a pre-test the day before or few hours before the actual test as it can help the nerves and spot the mistakes you are making and not try to make them on the test. You might be nervous but keep cool, calm and confident and give it your best shot!

Best of luck with the Test!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Once you know yourself that you're putting in as much practice as possible you'll be OK. Look over the rules, go over different possible routes for the test during your lessons and as mentioned know where you're making mistakes and try to correct them during the lessons.

I'd also go into the test with confidence. Best case scenario you could get an easy route and nail the test. Try not to focus on when the tester is giving you a mark as you need full attention.

Best of luck and get as much sleep as possible.

doovdela wrote: »
    Yes very true, its best to have experienced it and know what to expect for the next test. So what if you fail first time lots of people do. Try not to worry and put in as much practise as possible. Practise Practise Practise and prepare as much as you can! Work on your faults you are getting in the pre-tests to correct them for the test.

It might be worth doing a pre-test the day before or few hours before the actual test as it can help the nerves and spot the mistakes you are making and not try to make them on the test. You might be nervous but keep cool, calm and confident and give it your best shot!

Best of luck with the Test!
    Once you know yourself that you're putting in as much practice as possible you'll be OK. Look over the rules, go over different possible routes for the test during your lessons and as mentioned know where you're making mistakes and try to correct them during the lessons.

I'd also go into the test with confidence. Best case scenario you could get an easy route and nail the test. Try not to focus on when the tester is giving you a mark as you need full attention.

Best of luck and get as much sleep as possible.

thanks guys! ill post here what happens either way, pretest tomorrow and another on thursday and lots of pratice inbetween!
    roll on friday!

ah jesus failed a pretest again today, two grade 3's this time not yielding when a car was turning right and i was coming out from a T junction on a oneway street and he had just let another car go and still hadnt moved when i got up to the turn so i figured he was letting me go :/ and another when pulling out in a gap that i thought was sufficiant space but tester deemed unsafe for he had to slow down for me untill i get ajusted into traffc BALLS!
    grade twos are down to 11 now, 3 days to go, alot of work to be done, another pretest thursday afternoon , place your bets now

That's good going coming down from 28 to 11 grade 2 faults, you might just manage it on the day of the test.

Though work on your faults, especially the grade 3's. I was lucky with the last set of pretests I think I got close to passing without getting any grade 3 was all grade 2's usually always got at least a few grade 3's though trying to get the grade 2's down as well. I started with 22 grade 2's with grade 3's and managed to get it down to just 10 grade 2's so here's hoping for test I will pass myself.

Keep practising and keep at it, all you can do is do your best!

well im for the chopping block tomorrow morning, gona watch some ISM videos on youtube this evening and look over the rules of the road, not much else to do, had a lesson today long story short sucked again :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Positive thinking.

Don't obsess on passing or failing. Aim to get your total faults lower than you've ever got them in the pre-tests. You may well pass and it's not by a long way the end of the world if you don't.

Focus on the task ahead of you instead of thinking about what the tester might ask you/not you to do later in the test. Get some proper sleep and best of luck.

The best of luck tomorrow!! Positive thinking is the way to go :) And it's not the end of the world if you don't pass anyway. Hope you're getting a good nights sleep :)

• Advertisement

I passed !! just barely but i passed!! holy mother above :D:D:D
    I was lucky that the traffic was just ok for me and there was sufficiant gaps for me as they were my biggest fault and failing point for the pretests.
    the ISM videos were a big help, i still cant believe it!!!

Well done :D

woodchuck wrote: »
    Well done :D

Also MAJOR BIG THANK YOU TO EVERYONE ON THE LEARING TO DRIVE FOURMS!!! YOU ARE A GOOD BUNCH OF PEOPLE !!!

THANK YOU!!!!!!!

Congrats, well done! You did really well I am delighted for you! You must be thrilled! All your hard work and practise has proved its worth!

The videos are very good. Ya if the conditions suit then its all luck really but delighted for you all your hard work has been paid off congrats!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Great news. Well done.

Seriously massive congratulations on passing. To go from 28 grade 2's and a grade 3 to half that is impressive. To pass altogether is a credit to yourself. Hate to use that age-old cliche but hard work pays off. All this in relatively short time is some improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭rsom

Congrats and happy driving:D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Completely missed the update on this thread! That's fantastic! Put a smile on my face! Congrats!

Advertisement