Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

sell off windows and doors before demolishing ghost estate houses

• 25-07-2012 2:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭

Having an argument here....perhaps people could give their views or indeed insult my mother or something

happened to listen to a well known (much loathed by me) radio show there which has sparked an argument

callers stating that the windows and doors/contents etc of ghost estates should have been sold off before the houses bull dozed
    people here agreed totally with shrill cries of the injustice of it all and shur isnt it terrible with the young people having to build houses and what with them not having money etc...one caller even suggested the new builds could be designed around the windows and doors extracted from the soon to be demolished houses (ha fcuking ha)

my point: the whole fcuking idea is ridiculous and laughable...........the estates in question appear to be in the hands of a receiver who decides outright what happens with the intention of maximizing profit, if there was any significant money to be made from extracting windows, doors and contents and bringing them up to suitable standard (particulalry any appliances) for sale - then the receiver would have done this...clearly the reaon they are being demolished as is is because it would cost more to do this than you would make selling the stuff so why even argue for it...everyone listening seems to agree with the callers but yet cant answer my arguments yet still think think the contents should be sold or this should have been done by the council (would probably have cost them more money

my point yes its disgusting to see it happen but it is probably the best way forward as it will cost more to do than you will gain so accept it and stop whining and saying it should happen...............

thoughts?................am I wrong here?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I need a new door!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭amacca

smash wrote: »
    I need a new door!

the insurance they would have to pay to let you on site to take a door with you would not even come close to being offset by what they could charge you for the door

how much would you be willing to give for a ghost estate door out of interest?

(you will have to arrange for it to be hung yourself)

comes with no choice of colours, sizes or design btw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

Windows might be a tricky thing seeing as sizes can vary from house to house

amacca wrote: »
    how much would you be willing to give for a ghost estate door out of interest?

Depends, does it come with keys or will I need to get a new lock?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I can see the head-line "Door hunter killed by falling masonry".

• Advertisement

Depends, does it come with keys or will I need to get a new lock?

I dont know....I suspect the would be sellers wont know either, but for the sake of it lets say yes, one key and a spare + one of those nice see through keyrings you can put your mini tesco clubcard into

+ a sticker saying "I support the great ghost estate sell off of 2012, honk if you like boobies" to be displayed proudly on the door if you wish

I dont know....I suspect the would be sellers wont know either, but for the sake of it lets say yes, one key and a spare + one of those nice see through keyrings you can put your mini tesco clubcard into

+ a sticker saying "I support the great ghost estate sell off of 2012, honk if you like boobies" to be displayed proudly on the door if you wish
    Maybe €100.

Because it's going to cost me over 1k to get a new front door from a supplier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭Lambsbread

I imagine as well that the fixtures and fittings in these estates may not be the best quality. The estate in Longford was probably built with cheap materials, by the reports it was the subject of vandalism (broken windows, i imagine interior damage as well), so i cannot see any profit to be made from selling off the interiors.

Maybe €100.

Because it's going to cost me over 1k to get a new front door from a supplier.

that's partially my point...people just wouldn't be willing to pay enough for it to be worthwhile to do this

you want a 90% reduction to take the ghost estate door....whats the point...just bulldoze the fcuker so we can get on with phase two of our get rich quick scheme!

that's partially my point...people just wouldn't be willing to pay enough for it to be worthwhile to do this

you want a 90% reduction to take the ghost estate door....whats the point...just bulldoze the fcuker so we can get on with phase two of our get rich quick scheme!
    Lets face in, given the chance most building suppliers would jump at the chance to go in and pay the receiver so they could remove them. They could get it done in a day, pay €100 a front door and sell them for €200 no problem.

It's also less for the receiver to dispose of with the rubble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

I saw a woman making off from a ghost estate with two front doors, she had a huge pair of knockers

Lets face in, given the chance most building suppliers would jump at the chance to go in and pay the receiver so they could remove them. They could get it done in a day, pay €100 a front door and sell them for €200 no problem.

It's also less for the receiver to dispose of with the rubble.

fair enough......why isn't it happening so?, if there's money to be made by those now controlling the estates, why aren't the taking the opportunity to make it?

were the callers correct ?:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

woeful waste, makes woeful want.

fair enough......why isn't it happening so?, if there's money to be made by those now controlling the estates, why aren't the taking the opportunity to make it?

were the callers correct ?:o
    I don't know their reasons, but it happens a lot. I know a guy doing some work on trying to sell off NAMA assets and he said that office building are being cleared out with most of the stuff going in skips. It's all good furniture etc. He reckons it should be sent to auction houses or resellers but they have no interest because the they only want the big money prize.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

If someone doesn't turn one of the ghost estates into a zombie adventure like this place I will be very disappointed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,043 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The material is only worth recovering if there's a market for it. We've a huge over supply of property and it wouldn't be worth shipping out of the country. So where is the profit for all the work involved?

I remember watching one of the UK salvage shows that where on last year. One of the companies had a job demolishing an old building with a massive oak staircase, that went to the dump when all the bricks and roof tiles where sold.

If we where building loads of houses the time and effort to recover the doors and windows would be worthwhile. As it is it'll cost more to store them while selling off in small units, till eventually they'll end up being dumped. Just look at the e voting machines.

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    If someone doesn't turn one of the ghost estates into a zombie adventure like this place I will be very disappointed.
    Zombie estate laser tag or paintball... what an awesome idea!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Zombie estate laser tag or paintball... what an awesome idea!

Let's delete both our posts to protect the idea and enter into business together!

You've got loads of cash, right?

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Let's delete both our posts to protect the idea and enter into business together!

You've got loads of cash, right?
    Don't need cash... nobody will take the chance on entering an estate full of zombies!

Once they realise they're not real, we'll already have squatters rights!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Del2005 wrote: »
    As it is it'll cost more to store them while selling off in small units, till eventually they'll end up being dumped. Just look at the e voting machines.
    The e-voting machines were obsolete 20 years before they were bought

Building materials have future value.

anyway you could store the doors and windows and fittings in one of the remaining ghost houses

how much is the copper piping and wiring in a house worth ?

roof tiles and bricks don't mind getting wet.

also there is enough attic insulation there to keep us all warm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Don't need cash... nobody will take the chance on entering an estate full of zombies!

Once they realise they're not real, we'll already have squatters rights!

I might, I've just been playing Mario and am hyped up!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

how much is the copper piping and wiring in a house worth ?

Not a lot if its all qualpex up until a metre away from the boiler and cylinder.

Are there that many new builds going up anyway for this to be worthwhile? Then take away from that the amount that dont want 2nd hand windows and doors or dont want to have their house built to suit the window sizes from someone elses house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭rameire

Windows might be a tricky thing seeing as sizes can vary from house to house

but why dont you build a house around the windows that you havnt received yet.
    did you not know that young people nowadays build their houses around the size of the windows they are going to be getting second hand.

sure sure sure.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Grimreaper666

I'd say the cost of stripping a house of fittings and windows etc. would cost so much that they just knock them tbh.
    Health and safety would have a field day if anyone decided to start stripping houses like this. I can appreciate Health and Safety save lives but some of the rules and regulations they have are off the wall, if you were to comply with all the stuff they have you wouldn't bother getting up in the morning.
    As a matter of fact i'm beginning to wonder why i'm even getting up out of bed anymore, it's hardly word the effort nowadays really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Or we could just be rational and assume that whoever makes the best quote for the demolition of the ghost estates will have factored the value of anything worth reclaiming into that quote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Seems to be no problem with anything copper though...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

Wouldn't work - someone on the dole would get free stuff and either complain or sue or post on facebook about the banks or something ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭deandean

Windows on the older estates would be XP, they wouldn't be compatible with new builds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Fupping Grasshole

I thought we could just take what we wanted

• Advertisement
Advertisement