Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Motorbike Test questions need to do pretest

• 25-07-2012 2:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭

Have Motorbike A test end of August in Tallaght - have over 12 years of scooters - over 8 years on 50 cc moped covered by full driving license- 4 years on provisional expires 29th august 1 day before test so need new one.

Questions
    Only ever driven automatics scooters 50cc and have 125cc does this make any difference during the test?
    Need to get lesson/pretest anyone any recommendations- rang Irish school of motoring to get a quote- would have to be evenings.
    What else do I need - I know L high vis - I take it I will have to swot up again on Bike rules of the road.
    Tks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭gipi

You'll need a bike bigger than 125cc to take the A test for a start.

If you do your test on an automatic bike/scooter, you will only be licenced to ride automatics - you'd have to do your test again if you wanted to switch to a manual bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Pipz

If you do the test on a 125 bike, you'll only get an A1 licence, which means you'll be restricted to 125cc bikes and lower. If you want the A licence, then you'll have to do the test on a 250cc bike. Also, if you do the test on an automatic bike, then you'll also be restricted to only being allowed drive automatics on your licence. You'd have to then do conversion tests etc to be able to switch them.

As for a pretest, you could try aaronridertraining.com, or a guy called Dave Lyons (if i remember correctly?). Someone else might be able to give you his number. Both generally get great reviews here.

You'll need the L-high vis, and you'll also need to know road signs/basic rules of the road, and also how to perform maintanence checks on your bike, such as knowing how to check the tyres, oil levels, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Pipz wrote: »
    If you do the test on a 125 bike, you'll only get an A1 licence, which means you'll be restricted to 125cc bikes and lower. If you want the A licence, then you'll have to do the test on a 250cc bike. Also, if you do the test on an automatic bike, then you'll also be restricted to only being allowed drive automatics on your licence. You'd have to then do conversion tests etc to be able to switch them.

As for a pretest, you could try aaronridertraining.com, or a guy called Dave Lyons (if i remember correctly?). Someone else might be able to give you his number. Both generally get great reviews here.

You'll need the L-high vis, and you'll also need to know road signs/basic rules of the road, and also how to perform maintanence checks on your bike, such as knowing how to check the tyres, oil levels, etc.

+1 on the Aaron Rider Training, the guy knows it all, has all the equipment, knows the test routes (assuming it is in Dublin) and is 100% professional. Plus you can use his 250 bike to take the test on.

I passed first time after a couple of lessons/pretests with him.

http://www.aaronridertraining.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    +1 on the Aaron Rider Training, the guy knows it all, has all the equipment, knows the test routes (assuming it is in Dublin) and is 100% professional. Plus you can use his 250 bike to take the test on.

I passed first time after a couple of lessons/pretests with him.

http://www.aaronridertraining.com/

David Lyons for me. Took lessons with Aaron rider training before and lets just say I didn't take his instruction/methods well. But I guess not everyone can be pleased! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

Thanks was not sure about the automatic and what cc the bike needed to be. I will give aaronridertraining a ring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 TTDublin

I used these guys - really sound instructor and got me a lovely pink license first time

www.irishmotorcycletraining.com

Well Passed my test my faults were doing too many Lifesavers and one that surprised me was I got a fault for being Courteous - Coming up to red light traffic at standstill I let a car out of carpark by giving him a quick nod- was told I cannot beckon out traffic but I can leave a gap and let them decide whether they want to come out or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Congrats on the pass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Congrats Lucky!

Nice one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

Luckycharm wrote: »
    Coming up to red light traffic at standstill I let a car out of carpark by giving him a quick nod- was told I cannot beckon out traffic but I can leave a gap and let them decide whether they want to come out or not.

Congrats on passing :D

the above is a big no no as you could cause an accident by beckoning the driver out, and cos you beckoned them they think its all good and come out, as said best to leave the gap and let them make up their own mind

Congrats on passing :D

the above is a big no no as you could cause an accident by beckoning the driver out, and cos you beckoned them they think its all good and come out, as said best to leave the gap and let them make up their own mind

There you go learn something new everyday - must explain why all those women drivers look blankly straight ahead when you trying to get out in the traffic :P

Advertisement