Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the AIB Visa card cheaper than Bank of Ireland?

Options
  • 25-07-2012 2:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭

I've current accounts with both and laser is being phased out. The charges with the new compulsory BOI Visa card appear exhorbitant,1% charge on every transaction or 1.45 minimum 3.50 every time I use an a.t.m. Shocking. But was in AIB today it appears that their Visa charges appear much the same as with Laser currently? Is this true or am I misreading the terms?.

Incidentaly BOI also refused me access to 2 year account,even if I forfeit the high interest. It's my fault ultimately for not reading the terms but have I any redress do people think?.

Danke

F

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭Genghis

Freiheit wrote: »
    I've current accounts with both and laser is being phased out. The charges with the new compulsory BOI Visa card appear exhorbitant,1% charge on every transaction or 1.45 minimum 3.50 every time I use an a.t.m. Shocking.

Are you sure about those fees? On the page below, it seems that the fees are as per current account fees, i.e. just the same as laser, being 28c a transaction, unless you are on flat fee or free banking.

http://personalbanking.bankofireland.com/current-accounts/visa-debit-cards/

I am not a BOI customer so I could be completely wrong, but I thought that in general Visa Debit cards replacing Laser cards did not mean any additional fees for customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Freiheit wrote: »
    I've current accounts with both and laser is being phased out. The charges with the new compulsory BOI Visa card appear exhorbitant,1% charge on every transaction or 1.45 minimum 3.50 every time I use an a.t.m. Shocking. But was in AIB today it appears that their Visa charges appear much the same as with Laser currently? Is this true or am I misreading the terms?.

Incidentaly BOI also refused me access to 2 year account,even if I forfeit the high interest. It's my fault ultimately for not reading the terms but have I any redress do people think?.

Danke

F

3.50 every time you use an ATM ? Don't know where you got the information from! As the other poster said, the same current account fee scheme your on still applies. For many like myself this is a flat fee of 11.40 evey 3 months, for up to 90 transactions, and then 28c per transaction after that. Or you can go on a pay as you go basis of 28c per transaction if you don' have a lot of transactions. The only addtional charges Visa Debit introduces is when you have non euro transactions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Freiheit

Oh I think I misread it,I think those charges are for non Euro or at least non Irish transactions.

Advertisement