Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it cool to be a nerd/geek?

• 25-07-2012 4:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭

When I was in school, even though I knew the answer to the questions being asked, I would not dare put up my hand to answer.
    I really liked watching star trek on tv but I wouldn't dare tell anyone.

Basically it was cool to be a hardman and a bit dense, you'd get respect for it and you'd feel like you were fitting in.

I think now its cool to be a geek and to know what Alt+Equals does on an excel sheet.
    It appears to be acceptable to boast about the constellations and and talk about new phone/tablet apps that your developing.

Is it now cool to be a geek? Even The Big Bang Theory on tv is rather popular.

I wish I didn't repress my geekyness when I was younger, I'd probably have a good IT job rather than an administrative role.

Would you agree?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Haven't you heard?
    Being a d*ckhead's cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

Shut up and give me your lunch money!

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Diapason

I'm pretty sure you'd still be wedgied senseless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Haven't you heard?
    Being a d*ckhead's cool.
    According to the other thread, chicks love that shít.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

Green Mile wrote: »
    When I was in school, even though I knew the answer to the questions being asked, I would not dare put up my hand to answer.
    I really liked watching star track on tv but I wouldn't dare tell anyone.

Basically it was cool to be a hardman and a bit dense, you'd get respect for it and you'd feel like you were fitting in.

I think now its cool to be a geek and to know what Alt+equals does on an excel sheet.
    It appears to be acceptable to boast about the constellations and and talk about new phone/tablet apps that your developing.

Is it now cool to be a geek? Even the Big Bang Theory on tv is rather popular.

I wish I didn't repress my geekyness when I was younger, I'd probably have a good IT job rather than an administrative role.

Would you agree?

It's not cooler now to be a geek than it was back then. Everyone just gets older and cares less and less about that sort of thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Knowledge is power my friend!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 BioDylan

I was always the geeky one too! But I had no problem answering any questions as no one thought I was cool anyway as I hated sports which was a big component of our school.

With college I think it's like the opposite sometimes anyway, people respect the nerd cause at some point they'll prob be asking for their help :cool:

And yes who doens't love the big bang theory but i don't know if its still any cooler to be an actual geek/nerd, either way, still proud!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Have I told you about the Star Track tablet app I'm developing? :cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 690 ✭✭✭puffishoes

you were a nerd/geek before nerds/geeks were cool?

f*cking hipsters.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Forsure

Haven't you heard? - The Geek shall inherit the Earth...

• Advertisement

*hits Alt + =*

Wooo hooo! Nice one poindexter, thanks for that :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Depends on how far you take it. It's ok to talk about android and and iPhone apps and stuff like that but talking about star constellations is taking it too far. It's not that you'd get beaten up for it though. it's just that most people aren't interested in these types of things and are probably going to react negatively to these things which they do not understand :L

And yes, it's ok to know answers to questions in school these days. I can't see why it wouldn't be. I was good in school during class, used to answer questions all the time but that didn't mean that I didn't fit in with people :L Quite the opposite actually, I'd give them answers during tests and they'd think I was sound :L Grand stuff :L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Being a geek or nerd doesnt necessarily make you smart.

Being a hardman doenst necessarily make you dense either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

kfallon wrote: »
    *hits Alt + =*

Wooo hooo! Nice one poindexter, thanks for that :pac:

Ha ha same as that.

Never knew about it either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Is it cool to be a nerd/geek?
    My wife who married one, says "Yes!" :D

CucaFace wrote: »
    Ha ha same as that.

Never knew about it either.

That's cos we're cool and not a geek :D

Tho we may be turning into one now :eek:

Biggins wrote: »
    My wife who married one, says "Yes!" :D

And she left him for a boring old fart like you??? :eek:

Just messin' with ya Biggy Smalls :D

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,593 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

As an ex theoretical physicist I can tell you that to be a geek, one could consider it to be cool, but evidence suggests that this cooling effect is simply the transfer of ones ability to consummate to that of being avoided at social interactions. The transfer of one ability to another creates this cooling effect to such an extent, that to be a geek could technically be called 'hyper cool'.

kfallon wrote: »
    And she left him for a boring old fart like you??? :eek:

Yep. Lucky me! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Just remember
    the bible wrote:
    the geek shall inherit the earth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I'm supposedly a nerd because I'm an IT technician.

I'm supposedly their best friend because something electronical is broken and they need me to fix it.

I'm definitely a couple of quid richer because I don't fix their shìt for free. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭JamieKCCO

Just because they wear fake glasses doesn't mean their IQ is higher than that of a potato

JamieKCCO wrote: »
    Just because they wear fake glasses doesn't mean their IQ is higher than that of a potato

That's hipsters not nerds.

Anyways, alot of wimmen say they love nerdy / geeky boys. What they actually mean is fellas who were thick glasses (sometimes without lenses) when they don't need them and wear something with an obscure 80's reference. Pretty average guys coated in irony and sarcasm.

One whiff of a comic or a computer game and she's not interested in him :p

Duggy747 wrote: »

I went out with a girl once who thought I was quite nerdy (I am) but then told me a while later when I went to see Ireland play a match that she wouldn't have been interested in me at the start if she knew I liked sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭JamieKCCO

That's hipsters not nerds.

Well then I've a few apologies to make to some folk then... :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭Green Mile

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Anyways, alot of wimmen say they love nerdy / geeky boys. What they actually mean is fellas who were thick glasses (sometimes without lenses) when they don't need them and wear something with an obscure 80's reference. Pretty average guys coated in irony and sarcasm.

I agree,
    these wimmen you speak of like all types of men. I read that a study was carried out on that species and they are attracted to different types of men, depending on their menstrual cycle whatever that is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Of course its now cool. Take computer games, they were only the province of sad cases when I was growing up* now they are a multi billion dollar industry bigger than Hollywood. You would be actually more weird nowadays if you didnt game in some shape or form.

* I proudly count myself one of them!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

I went out with a girl once who thought I was quite nerdy (I am) but then told me a while later when I went to see Ireland play a match that she wouldn't have been interested in me at the start if she knew I liked sports.

A man who has an interest in Sports? Ye gads!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

I love being a nerd!! And i love nerdy guys!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

I'm a software engineer,
    I listen to metal, house, rap, pop, rock, drum and bass, and basically every type of music,
    I love sport and play rugby and soccer,
    I'm very interested in astronomy, geography, physics and technology and I like star trek.

Haven't a ****ing clue what label to slap on there!

foxyboxer wrote: »

water sports :cool:

Kev_2012 wrote: »
    I'm a software engineer,
    I listen to metal, house, rap, pop, rock, drum and bass, and basically every type of music,
    I love sport and play rugby and soccer,
    I'm very interested in astronomy, geography, physics and technology and I like star trek.

Haven't a ****ing clue what label to slap on there!

ADHD

foxyboxer wrote: »

I know! What a weirdo!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

No, it's not cool to be a geek or a nerd. It's cool to appear to be one. Stuff like the big bang theory isn't marketed to geeks or nerds, it's marketed to morons. It's just another fad. The new wave of them don't know anything about comic books, they don't know shit about technology beyond the surface, they don't understand some of the most basic level about science, maths, so on so forth. Would they sit down and teach themselves Pure Data? No. People want to APPEAR to be a geek, but looking like one and being one are different. Geeks put the hours in. The rest buy a t-shirt with a funny Java code written on it after someone explains to them why it's funny.

puffishoes wrote: »
    ADHD

Can't suffer from a made up problem!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Surely a cool nerd is an oxymoron?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

No, it's not cool to be a geek or a nerd. It's cool to appear to be one. Stuff like the big bang theory isn't marketed to geeks or nerds, it's marketed to morons. It's just another fad. The new wave of them don't know anything about comic books, they don't know shit about technology beyond the surface, they don't understand some of the most basic level about science, maths, so on so forth. Would they sit down and teach themselves Pure Data? No. People want to APPEAR to be a geek, but looking like one and being one are different. Geeks put the hours in. The rest buy a t-shirt with a funny Java code written on it after someone explains to them why it's funny.

Well said.

Wannabe geeks running around the place these days. ****ing Youtube and Torrents ruined it. Trying being a nerd in the 80's when you had to track down a magazine just to read about certain movies, then order them in from Japan.

"Look what I found on the internet!!!" - go **** yourself.

Kev_2012 wrote: »
    Can't suffer from a made up problem!

who said it was a problem, or that your suffering!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

It seems theres even a hierarchy in nerd circles then!
    I certainly never thought myself any programming languages, nor am I blessed with the greatest grasp of maths beyond the basics. I often chipped games consoles back in the day though. Repaired them too. Imported the odd title from Japan. I suppose I was a lightweight nerd. That'll do me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

Agricola wrote: »
    It seems theres even a hierarchy in nerd circles then!
    I certainly never thought myself any programming languages, nor am I blessed with the greatest grasp of maths beyond the basics. I often chipped games consoles back in the day though. Repaired them too. Imported the odd title from Japan. I suppose I was a lightweight nerd. That'll do me!

You also use "Thought" in place of "Taught" which is bad anywhere, but inexcusable in geek / nerd circles.

There are levels of both, and there's a difference between the two, yeah, but in my experience, nerds are the worst for it.

Scenario 1:

Person 1: "Lul, I play games on my phone all the time, I'm such a gamer nerd!"

Person 2: "Ohmagawd, so am I!!"

Scenario 2:

Person 1: "I own an Xbox / PS3 / PC for gaming"

Person 2: "Aren't you a bit old to be playing your little video games?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Would they sit down and teach themselves Pure Data? No. People want to APPEAR to be a geek, but looking like one and being one are different. Geeks put the hours in. The rest buy a t-shirt with a funny Java code written on it after someone explains to them why it's funny.

Always wanted one those [loadbang] t-shirts. But would feel like a dick wearing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

The rest buy a t-shirt with a funny Java code written on it after someone explains to them why it's funny.

java code is never funny. Python, C and even assembly have the potential to be funny but never java

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭IloveConverse

eth0 wrote: »
    java code is never funny. Python, C and even assembly have the potential to be funny but never java

#include "std.h"

tee hee :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

When younger I played sports and programmed. This was when each computer took different code common program languages a dream.
    As a teenager I read comics from dark horse. Had long hair and wore black. Then wore flares and 70s clothes.
    Now a collection of comic, video consoles, records, CDs and various collectibles. Wife says I am a nerd. She bases it on my knowledge of scifi, physics, construction. Being smart was never about being a nerd I am not socially or physically awkward.
    Many former nerd interests have become mainstream. Mythbusters has more to do with nerd acceptance than big bang

No...People want to APPEAR to be a geek, but looking like one and being one are different. Geeks put the hours in. The rest buy a t-shirt with a funny Java code written on it after someone explains to them why it's funny.

I take except to that.
    I put a HELL of a lot of hours in - and have done over many years/decades and yes, I buy the geeky t-shirts too!
    Don't write us all off with the same brush!

For computer geeks

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history – with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.

If it weren’t for C, we’d all be programming in BASI and OBOL.

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don’t.

In a world without fences and walls, who needs Gates and Windows?

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Computers make very fast, very accurate mistakes.

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurling down the highway.

An SQL statement walks into a bar and sees two tables. It approaches, and asks “may I join you?”

Q: Why is it that programmers always confuse Halloween with Christmas?
    A: Because 31 OCT = 25 DEC.

Man is the best computer we can put aboard a spacecraft… and the only one that can be mass produced with unskilled labor

Q: How many programmers does it take to change a light bulb?
    A: None. It’s a hardware problem.

Two strings walk into a bar and sit down. The bartender says, “So what’ll it be?”
    The first string says, “I think I’ll have a beer quag fulk boorg jdk^CjfdLk jk3s d#f67howe%^U r89nvy~~owmc63^Dz x.xvcu”
    “Please excuse my friend,” the second string says. “He isn’t null-terminated.”

“I’m not interrupting you, I’m putting our conversation in full-duplex mode.”
    - Antone Roundy

A doctor, a civil engineer and a programmer are discussing whose profession is the oldest.
    “Surely medicine is the oldest profession,” says the doctor. “God took a rib from Adam and created Eve and if this isn’t medicine I’ll be…”
    The civil engineer breaks in:
    “But before that He created the heavens and the earth from chaos. Now that’s civil engineering to me.”
    The programmer thinks a bit and then says:
    “And who do you think created chaos?”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭csi vegas

I agree,
    these wimmen you speak of like all types of men. I read that a study was carried out on that species and they are attracted to different types of men, depending on their menstrual cycle whatever that is

This is true.

• Advertisement
Advertisement