Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it cool to be a nerd/geek?

2»

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Hazys wrote: »
    Being a geek or nerd doesnt necessarily make you smart.

Being a hardman doenst necessarily make you dense either.

Pretty sure a nerd is smart by definition. You're right about geeks and hardmen though :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭csi vegas

No, it's not cool to be a geek or a nerd. It's cool to appear to be one.

Stuff like the big bang theory isn't marketed to geeks or nerds, it's marketed to morons. It's just another fad.
    The new wave of them don't know anything about comic books, they don't know shit about technology beyond the surface, they don't understand some of the most basic level about science, maths, so on so forth. Would they sit down and teach themselves Pure Data? No. People want to APPEAR to be a geek, but looking like one and being one are different. Geeks put the hours in. The rest buy a t-shirt with a funny Java code written on it after someone explains to them why it's funny.

I agree with you almost whole heartedly however on the point of The Big Bang Theory I do not - for I am not a moron.

I understand existentially the lingo of which the cast speak and I repress a giggle now and then, even when alone (in advance of possible future need not to appear socially inept) and also I am a girl.

Should a genuine, certified geek happen along my path then I would gladly intervene with his biorythms and delight to be the muse of his aptitude, for where further education is concerned I am young and I have much to learn and although the eloquent way in which you articulate your vocabulary stirs up feelings of latent lust in my inner phyce, for casting such generalisations upon the fanbase of The Big Bang I shall now telepathically bend you over and smack you like a bítch.

Yours,

csi

:)

Biggins wrote: »
    I take except to that.
    I put a HELL of a lot of hours in - and have done over many years/decades and yes, I buy the geeky t-shirts too!
    Don't write us all off with the same brush!

For computer geeks

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history – with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.

If it weren’t for C, we’d all be programming in BASI and OBOL.

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don’t.

In a world without fences and walls, who needs Gates and Windows?

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Computers make very fast, very accurate mistakes.

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurling down the highway.

An SQL statement walks into a bar and sees two tables. It approaches, and asks “may I join you?”

Q: Why is it that programmers always confuse Halloween with Christmas?
    A: Because 31 OCT = 25 DEC.

Man is the best computer we can put aboard a spacecraft… and the only one that can be mass produced with unskilled labor

Q: How many programmers does it take to change a light bulb?
    A: None. It’s a hardware problem.

Two strings walk into a bar and sit down. The bartender says, “So what’ll it be?”
    The first string says, “I think I’ll have a beer quag fulk boorg jdk^CjfdLk jk3s d#f67howe%^U r89nvy~~owmc63^Dz x.xvcu”
    “Please excuse my friend,” the second string says. “He isn’t null-terminated.”

“I’m not interrupting you, I’m putting our conversation in full-duplex mode.”
    - Antone Roundy

A doctor, a civil engineer and a programmer are discussing whose profession is the oldest.
    “Surely medicine is the oldest profession,” says the doctor. “God took a rib from Adam and created Eve and if this isn’t medicine I’ll be…”
    The civil engineer breaks in:
    “But before that He created the heavens and the earth from chaos. Now that’s civil engineering to me.”
    The programmer thinks a bit and then says:
    “And who do you think created chaos?”

Ssshhhííít...blown away...

I will never argue with you again. Not that I ever did...

*hides*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

Biggins wrote: »
    I take except to that.
    I put a HELL of a lot of hours in - and have done over many years/decades and yes, I buy the geeky t-shirts too!
    Don't write us all off with the same brush!

You put the hours in ∴ you are a geek. Get it?

You put the hours in ∴ you are a geek. Get it?

Hey, where's MY reply? I will be checking later. I expect a full reply.

Must run - CSI on 3e now, NEW (allegedly)...well it better be...

csi vegas wrote: »
    Hey, where's MY reply? I will be checking later. I expect a full reply.

Must run - CSI on 3e now, NEW (allegedly)...well it better be...

I still think it's an awful show and if you like it you are bad and should feel bad. It's the T.V version of the geeky chick who is all of a sudden totally not a geek when she takes off her glasses, lets her hair down and wears a shorter skirt.

Also they use Norton. Weak.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Don't know about being geeks but intelligent people have always impressed me more than sports people, musicians, actors, etc.

I still think it's an awful show and if you like it you are bad and should feel bad. It's the T.V version of the geeky chick who is all of a sudden totally not a geek when she takes off her glasses, lets her hair down and wears a shorter skirt.

Also they use Norton. Weak.

My bad, but I am not bad and I don't feel bad (or unclean :D)
    but your loss :p

The new episodes on tonight were pretty good, done in a new way, different from the old/original format.
    The only thing I don't like is at the start there is 'commentry' now "last time on csi" with the inevitable re-caps.
    But who can argue with Ted Danson as an actor? Or Laurence Fishburne?
    Yes, they were made for tv (before you say anything) and y'know - stick with what you know...

Also - are you a fan of Katy Perry?

Yes, Norton is písswater - my course leader once told me that free Avast or AVG are much more reliable than anything monetarily available, bar programming your own of course.

But let's not get into marketing here - if they do 'advocate' Norton on the show it's for the royalties. But you already know that. I hear your simple yet effective statement. I hear you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭ruthloss

Geek is the new chique.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Tomk1

There's only two letters between cool and fool, d&e : after drink I thought I was cool, but just another fool.

Never a thrend follower, don't get the whole comic book thing, and no idea what a geek T-shirt is meant to be, but I like my cardigan, bought a Telescope with me confirmation-money, spent many great days typing assembly into a C64, and think PE in school was some kind of punishment against smart kids, to make not-so-smart-kids feel better. Once I had the joy of being joint last in a race, rather than just being last.

I agree that TBB is aimed at a mass audience, but sometimes there's a nugget that would just fly over most peoples heads, but don't watch it anymore.

As V goes from C => 0 Einstein => Newton

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭harmoniums

I did my leaving back in 1992 to give you some context.
    I was very geeky, was balls deep in 6502 assembler by 10 years old.
    Could never really kick a ball straight, because I suppose I never really bothered to practice.
    Was quite into table top gaming and RPGs and stuff.
    I got most of my guff from my parents to be honest, country types far removed from my interests.
    Looking back on it now, they probably thought I was gay, to them my odd bookish endeavors and shunning of physical endeavors must have looked quite "sissy" and alien to them.
    I was back last year and some rugby bandwagon was being jumped on, something to do with Leinster in some final, my mother was shocked and perturbed by my lack of interest in it and actually asked my wife if she could maybe try to motivate me towards these more manly pursuits (an interest in televised sports seemingly being a suitable target).
    The look on my wife's face was priceless!

Anyway to answer the OP,
    nerdy/geeky + poor = uncool/unattractive
    nerdy/geeky + rich = cool/attractive

csi vegas wrote: »
    My bad, but I am not bad and I don't feel bad (or unclean :D)
    but your loss :p

The new episodes on tonight were pretty good, done in a new way, different from the old/original format.
    The only thing I don't like is at the start there is 'commentry' now "last time on csi" with the inevitable re-caps.
    But who can argue with Ted Danson as an actor? Or Laurence Fishburne?
    Yes, they were made for tv (before you say anything) and y'know - stick with what you know...

Also - are you a fan of Katy Perry?

Yes, Norton is písswater - my course leader once told me that free Avast or AVG are much more reliable than anything monetarily available, bar programming your own of course.

But let's not get into marketing here - if they do 'advocate' Norton on the show it's for the royalties. But you already know that. I hear your simple yet effective statement. I hear you.

I was talking about TBBT, not CSI, which I don't watch, and no, I'm not a fan of Katy Perry.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Roadtrippin

It's uncool to care too much about being cool :D

If you're a real nerd/geek you don't give a sh*t whether you're cool or not... You'd be too busy doing nerdy things! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

It is and isn't cool. I arrived in a pub one night and a guy I know went "Grayson, we were just talking about you. About how you're a nerd, but a cool nerd."

I'm about as nerdy as they come. But I do have other interests, and I think the main point is that I know when to keep it to myself.

Same goes for most nerds. There are those that can talk about it when relevant and there are those who inflict it on unsuspecting innocents. You mention something, but somehow it loops around to the eisode of stargate that they watched last night.

Plus there are those who would be considered nerdy/geeky who may or may not have any nerdy/geeky interests. They're just people in technical/science fields who have trouble interacting with people outside of those areas.

And let's not forget java programmers.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/who-says-java-programmers-dont-have-a-sense-of-hum,10733/

I guess what I'm trying to say is, once upon a time you might have been judged for having nerdy interests. But now it all boils down to what kind of person you are.

Editing to add: And as someone else said. If you're loaded it helps :)

Advertisement