Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

question on grounding a solar panel system

Options
  • 25-07-2012 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭

I am going to install a solar panel system with solar panel regulator and inverter + batteries in a cabin that has no electric.

will the system need to be grounded with earth rods?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭kevez

As far as i know, no it wont but you will need to neutralize the earths in order for to them work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

kevez wrote: »
    As far as i know, no it wont but you will need to neutralize the earths in order for to them work.

how is this done?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭kevez

CamperMan wrote: »
    how is this done?

thanks

Its done by linking the the earth and the neutral cables together its usually done at the esb meter, but because this is its own network separate from the esb's network, I'm not sure if the inverter has it built into it or not. If not then just connect the earth in with the neutral. I'm not up to speed on the regulations regarding this but that is what I would do

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

kevez wrote: »
    Its done by linking the the earth and the neutral cables together its usually done at the esb meter, but because this is its own network separate from the esb's network, I'm not sure if the inverter has it built into it or not. If not then just connect the earth in with the neutral. I'm not up to speed on the regulations regarding this but that is what I would do

The cabin has no electrical supply, so hence there is no ESB network.

It would be best to install an earthing system, as some appliance's will require it. But as your system is in theory isolated from the general mass of earth it should not be a major shock risk.

I would look up the instructions for the Inverter you are going to use, this should show you all of the key connections.

I would assume as the inverter isn't very big your just going to have a few lights / sockets wired directly form the inverter and it will handle all of the over current protection etc.. I'd be fairly sure there'd be an earth connection on the inverter, which is probably tied to its "neutral" output. It wouldn't do any harm to drive an earth rod into the ground and connect onto this.

What voltage is your battery pack? would you consider running say some LED lighting directly off the battery pack via a fuse? this would mean the inverter could power down when nothing was plugged in, saving energy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

Hello DublinDilbert,

There will be no appliances connected, just lights, laptop, TV/DVD combo, stereo, etc, all small stuff, the batteries are 2 x 230 amp hour 12v, 4 x 100 watt solar panels and a MasterVolt 500 watt inverter.

• Advertisement
Advertisement