Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling some veg.

Options
  • 25-07-2012 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

When producing crops at home on a small area of land, do crops have to be sprayed and fertilized in order to sell them to people and shops? Even if i have no interest in getting an organic license. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Hort101 wrote: »
    When producing crops at home on a small area of land, do crops have to be sprayed and fertilized in order to sell them to people and shops? Even if i have no interest in getting an organic license. :)

Its not mandatory to spray and fertilise them.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Hort101

Meaning people can stilll buy them?? and theres no problems??? im just thinking if there is some law on that..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

have you found a shop who will buy your produce?
    i would have thought this would be difficult as they would more likely go through a supplier who can guarantee year-round supply.

Well i can produce year round supply..

have you found a shop who will buy your produce?
    i would have thought this would be difficult as they would more likely go through a supplier who can guarantee year-round supply.

Some shops like to stock local in season produce to give them a niche against the supermarkets like Dunnes/Tesco.

What are you going to sell OP? will you be prepacking or selling loose?

• Advertisement

Mostly selling lose.. veg like carrots, onions, swede, turnip, scallions, parsnips.. and also some potatoes which will have to go into some sort of bags..

Hort101 wrote: »
    Mostly selling lose.. veg like carrots, onions, swede, turnip, scallions, parsnips.. and also some potatoes which will have to go into some sort of bags..

Might be good for you to know the EU marketing standards for fruit and Veg. Basically the min you should know when grading your veg into specific classes.
    http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/farmingsectors/horticulture/freshfruitvegetablesmarketingstandardseu/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭Markcheese

If your selling from your gate, or an honesty box , don't worry about anything, if your selling to a restaurant don't worry about it ... If it's to a major store call everything class 2 .. Done

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    If your selling from your gate, or an honesty box , don't worry about anything, if your selling to a restaurant don't worry about it ... If it's to a major store call everything class 2 .. Done

Simple but not so simple because a major store most likely has there own spec. EU standards is pretty lightweight but just handy to see the min needed to sell decent produce.

Advertisement