Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issues to Decide before Madden 13

Options
  • 25-07-2012 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭

Thought I'd try and consolidate some of the issues being discussed now and previously around Madden 13.

Idea is to get all issues/suggestions together from people and have a vote on each of them to make decisions before we kick off:

-When will first gameweek start?
    -When will we draft our teams?
    -Will we put a max amount on Human teams in a division to ensure even spread? (Obviously depends on number of players)
    -Should we stop players from being traded more than once in an offseason?
    -Are we happy using my spreadsheet for draft position?
    -Where will newbies pick on the draft? (if any)
    -Length of Gameweek?
    -How many season do we want to play?

I'm sure more things will pop as we discuss stuff elsewhere and as more information comes out about Connected Careers, etc.
    Post up anything else you think we should be deciding on...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Danger_dave1

Will we put a max amount on Human teams in a division to ensure even spread? (Obviously depends on number of players)

This is a good point. I'd say we limit it to 3 per division until we exceed 24 in the league. After that what do people think of making sure there's NFC AFC spilt so if we have 26 players it needs to be 13/13 ? And so on .

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Comments Below.
    Thought I'd try and consolidate some of the issues being discussed now and previously around Madden 13.

Idea is to get all issues/suggestions together from people and have a vote on each of them to make decisions before we kick off:

I think we should aim to start mid-September. I've read that Pre-season is included in Madden 13 so maybe allow people a shorter time to play these games as it doesn't really matter if they are simmed, but I think we should start sometime around mid-September.

This can be done anytime. I guess once we have the draft order finalised we can decide this. I'd like to draft the teams a week or so before the franchise starts in order to get used to the team.

-Will we put a max amount on Human teams in a division to ensure even spread? (Obviously depends on number of players)

I think that's a good idea. If everyone is in favour, need to figure out how we will work this into the draft. Maybe make one team from each division unavailable.

I think there is a salary Cap in Madden 13, if so there's probably no need for this.

I am, seems fair.

I think people who have played at least 1 full season of Madden 12 should draft before newcomers.

-Length of Gameweek?

5 Days.

I'm sure more things will pop as we discuss stuff elsewhere and as more information comes out about Connected Careers, etc.
    Post up anything else you think we should be deciding on...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Raoul

My views

2 weeks after release to give everyone time to adjust

Doodle poll to see when people are available in the run up to the start of the league, so as soon as the game is released really

A must in my opinion. I don't think we should go with Adrian's suggestion though as some people might want to play with that team. Simply go with as soon as three teams are picked that division is gone. Draft should be done in the same way as the draft for the BPL (this will give us time to update the available teams)

Too hard to implement, plus hopefully there is a salary cap

Yep, seems fair

I would like to think let them pick first but then they might be flakey, so should a good team go to waste? But then again it could make playing the CPU a bit tougher

-Length of Gameweek?
    Discussed in length already 5 days

No need to discuss, see how it goes with 5 days a week, if we have time for a 4th season then go ahead. I would like this question to be taken out of the poll, no need to talk about it.

Do we want any more rule changes?
    Is everyone happy with the current set of rules?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭BigBadRob83

Good points lads, I suppose just wanted to clarify what I meant in my original post:
    Was trying to get all the issues/suggestions all together, and then we would vote on all of them before Madden 13.
    Wasn't necessarily to get everyone's opinion on each one and start debates etc, just to compile a list

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭ibmax

Good points lads, I suppose just wanted to clarify what I meant in my original post:
    Was trying to get all the issues/suggestions all together, and then we would vote on all of them before Madden 13.
    Wasn't necessarily to get everyone's opinion on each one and start debates etc, just to compile a list

Here's 1: should players be seeded? Does anyone want to be the third team in the division with Santry and Berty ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Lads,

as much as I agree with needing 3 teams in each division, it completely caps myself and Berty and we'll probably not have a choice on who to go too. The 3 team cap would work when it's a fantasy draft but I don't think it's great that not only will we pick last, which I completely agree with, but we won't get a choice of teams?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Around 2 weeks after.
    Whenever. The number one pick should be able to choose the second it comes out if they want to, and so on.
    I don't think we should. Besides I think the only 3 divisions I could imagine 3 teams coming from would be the NFC East, NFC South and AFC West, and apart from the NFC East it's really pushing it.
    No.
    Yes.
    After everyone else, but if they're struggling, organise a CPU trade or 2 to help their team.
    -Length of Gameweek?
    5 days.
    Play the 3, then we'll see if there's time. We could do some other competition of friendlies (maybe a sort of ladder) if there's a while until the next game.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

My own opinions:

Monday 17th of September (basically two weeks, actually 16 days, after release date).

Any one of Friday 14th of September, Saturday 15th of September or Sunday 16th of September

I think it's a good idea, CPU games are horrifically boring and the less of them the better for the league as a whole, but Santry raises a great point. If there was a way of compromising to ensure that the last few players could still get a proper choice of team but one or two divisions were a bit lopsided then I think everyone will have to just take a chance and go for that.

However, one thing I fear is that some players will look to be in what they might perceive to be a weaker group and will choose teams based on that which might cause things to get pretty lopsided very early on in the picking process. I guess there's no way of stopping this and in all honesty it may not happen at all, but I have seen it happen in other leagues so just thought I'd mention it if it might be a problem for trying to sort out groups.

We're striving to be a sim league so it's best to use as many proper rules as possible. There's no limit on amount of times a player can be traded in real life so for that reason there should be no limit in our league IMO. Of course no one can be traded after the trade deadline.

I certainly am. It's a great piece of work as usual from yourself. However, if the majority aren't happy then I think the next best thing is a random draw.

After Berty (who is currently picking last) on a first come, first served basis.

-Length of Gameweek?

5 day game weeks without a doubt for me. No pressure on people to get their games played before the deadline but if everyone happens to do so then early advancements should be allowed.

Aim for 3 and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭NekoChan

In terms of 13 Im pretty easy going...
    I have seen nothing I disagree with here and I dont have any other issues I want to raise

Looking forward to seeing what they've done with it to be honest

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Raoul wrote: »
    My views

OK, I get what you're saying about not removing teams as some divisions have 4 good teams.

We need to think about things like NFC East, if Giants, Eagles and Cowboys get selected, then no-one gets RG3!!

I guess having a few decent teams available may entice people to the league later on if they know they won't be stuck with the very worst teams..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Berty44

Agree with most of what is said here with one exception. If the draft is done based on Rob's brilliant spreadsheet then you cannot restrict to 3 teams per division as that's completely unfair on those at the end as Ben points out. e.g. If I pick last under the rules with 24 players I will only have a choice of two teams.

Plan for 3 seasons. We simply won't get in 4 and you don't want to be finished in June with no games for 2 months because of bad scheduling.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Berty44 wrote: »
    Plan for 3 seasons. We simply won't get in 4 and you don't want to be finished in June with no games for 2 months because of bad scheduling.

I think it's better if we finish earlier because this summer there has been a bit of a drop off with people going on holidays. An earlier finish and more people stay with us until the end. It's not like we can't play friendlies with eachother in the meantime anyway.

How does everyone else like my idea of a ladder for the offseason? For those who don't know, a ladder is when there's a list of players (set by how teams did the previous season) and you can challenge anyone up to 3 spots above you in the ladder to a game. If you win, you swap places with them. You can play whenever you want, and can go a month without a game and it makes no difference to your ranking so there's no pressure to play.

matthew8 wrote: »
    I think it's better if we finish earlier because this summer there has been a bit of a drop off with people going on holidays. An earlier finish and more people stay with us until the end. It's not like we can't play friendlies with eachother in the meantime anyway.

How does everyone else like my idea of a ladder for the offseason? For those who don't know, a ladder is when there's a list of players (set by how teams did the previous season) and you can challenge anyone up to 3 spots above you in the ladder to a game. If you win, you swap places with them. You can play whenever you want, and can go a month without a game and it makes no difference to your ranking so there's no pressure to play.

I have changed my mind on the three teams per division after reading the other guys points. Yeah its really unfair to the top seeds to give them an extremely poor team. Maybe we could limit it to each conference has to have the same amount of human teams. Would be somewhat better.

I like that idea Matthew but sometimes it is really hard to get hold of people to play. It will be interesting to see how the communities are updated in this edition of madden, it was a really good touch to this years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Nelbert

A hard rule about balancing the conferences may work however beyond that a bit of freedom and an understanding that 3 teams per division is the preferred outcome.
    It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if the NFC East and South were full and the other 2 had 2 players.
    Only problem with that scenario is if those two fill up and the NFC North has the Bears, Packers and Lions taken the 49ers are going to be taken ahead of the Vikings.

Madden Feature Request for Madden 14 - Customisable Divisions!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭BigBadRob83

Nelbert wrote: »
    Madden Feature Request for Madden 14 - Customisable Divisions!

Would be awesome if we could just have conferences instead of divisions, AFC and NFC would be ideal.

As I said earlier, wasn't trying to push one thing or another, just asking the questions that had been raised. In relation to the divisions, think Santry and others make good points; we don't want to hamstring people into being forced to pick a certain team just to fill out a division. Think people should be free to pick whoever they want and see what happens.

As the draft progresses, we can keep track of how many teams in each division/conference so if someone is making a 50/50 decision between teams (with no pressure from anyone) then maybe they would bear this in mind.

Based purely on the team ratings (which may be useless), I would suspect the AFC might end up on the short end again:
    5 of the bottom 6 rated teams are AFC (Jags, Raiders, Colts, Browns, Dolphins)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Nelbert

Yes, would be awesome to do away with concerns about CPU games, let everyone pick who they want in draft with no other concerns and then just customise it to produce 6 full divisions and 2 CPU divisions!

Maybe not quite so nice for the 25th member of the league but awesome for everyone else!

Nelbert wrote: »
    Yes, would be awesome to do away with concerns about CPU games, let everyone pick who they want in draft with no other concerns and then just customise it to produce 6 full divisions and 2 CPU divisions!

Maybe not quite so nice for the 25th member of the league but awesome for everyone else!

Well I would prefer 0 CPU teams getting into the playoffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Berty44

We are growing every year. People are enjoying the league, it's well run and everyone plays fairly. We will grow to 32 teams if not sometime during M13 then during M14.

Advertisement