Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going to Oktoberfest ?

Options
  • 25-07-2012 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭

Anyone interested in going to Oktoberfest ?

Livingsocial have a deal which can be purchased within the next 24 hours.

€10 for 2 tickets which you can use on September 13th (Thursday), 16th (Sunday), 17th (Monday) or 20th (Thursday). The regular price is €10 for 1 ticket so a 50% saving :)

Details:

http://www.livingsocial.com/cities/513/deals/403666-two-tickets-to-oktoberfest

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭el Bastardo

kingtut wrote: »
    Anyone interested in going to Oktoberfest ?

Livingsocial have a deal which can be purchased within the next 24 hours.

€10 for 2 tickets which you can use on September 13th (Thursday), 16th (Sunday), 17th (Monday) or 20th (Thursday). The regular price is €10 for 1 ticket so a 50% saving :)

Details:

http://www.livingsocial.com/cities/513/deals/403666-two-tickets-to-oktoberfest

Ah, it's a Corktoberfest! So, what do you get for a tenner? Seems to me that you get nothing other than entry to an area and not even the guarantee of a table - or have I misunderstood something?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Paulaner is gak anyway. There's much better beer to be had in Cork. And I'm sure some of the places will be running an Octoberfest that'll beat this hands down. The Fran Well at the very least always have their own Octoberfest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Ah, it's a Corktoberfest! So, what do you get for a tenner? Seems to me that you get nothing other than entry to an area and not even the guarantee of a table - or have I misunderstood something?

I have no clue to be honest, never been but it sounded good to me ... anyway I'd rather pay €10 for a ticket than €20 :D
    Lyaiera wrote: »
    Paulaner is gak anyway. There's much better beer to be had in Cork. And I'm sure some of the places will be running an Octoberfest that'll beat this hands down. The Fran Well at the very least always have their own Octoberfest.

Must say I like the alcohol free Paulaner for the nights when I'm driving if I can find it. If you don't like it then what other beers would you recommend? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Must say I like the alcohol free Paulaner for the nights when I'm driving if I can find it. If you don't like it then what other beers would you recommend? :)

Paulaner, Erdinger and Hoegarden all seem to be the standard wheat beers available across town. Although I'd think they're all the worst. The better ones I've found have been Blue Moon (which is ok) Weihenstephaner (which is really good) and Friar Weisse. Friar Weisse is the one I usually go for because it's made in Cork by the Fran Well and you can actually get a pint of it in a fair few pubs, with pints usually being cheaper than bottles. Not to mention I think Friar Weisse is the best of the Fran Well normal beers, imo. It has a nice citrus hoppy flavour to it. But you only get that taste every so often, so the flavour of it is constantly subtly changing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭el Bastardo

I have no clue to be honest, never been but it sounded good to me ... anyway I'd rather pay €10 for a ticket than €20 :D

Paulaner alcohol-free wheat beer has got to be the best tasting one available (or least bad, depending on your viewpoint). Paulaner is otherwise considered a pretty average beer by the Germans, but obviously it's not Germany, so you're not going to get a huge choice anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Utter blasphemy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Paulaner, Erdinger and Hoegarden all seem to be the standard wheat beers available across town. Although I'd think they're all the worst. The better ones I've found have been Blue Moon (which is ok) Weihenstephaner (which is really good) and Friar Weisse. Friar Weisse is the one I usually go for because it's made in Cork by the Fran Well and you can actually get a pint of it in a fair few pubs, with pints usually being cheaper than bottles. Not to mention I think Friar Weisse is the best of the Fran Well normal beers, imo. It has a nice citrus hoppy flavour to it. But you only get that taste every so often, so the flavour of it is constantly subtly changing.

Friar Weisse is one of the worst beers I've had. It tasted burnt or something, couldn't finish the pint at all. Have to give it another go, because I love the other Franciscan Well beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Monkey Sampan

Friar Weisse is one of the worst beers I've had. It tasted burnt or something, couldn't finish the pint at all.

Same here, it had a taste like corn on the cob that's been burning on a bbq for hours, the glass was nice, that was about it
    I like the place, but I'm not nuts about their own beers, luckily last time they had pint bottles of Budvar which is more to my taste

I'm pretty sure last year the price of a ticket included at least one drink, and they were giving away a load of free passes leading up to it

I was at the 2010 one in the comedy club which was brilliant, I'd no idea what to expect
    The 1 litre glasses are a bit deceptive, found ourselves drinking it like a normal pint and not pacing ourselves, got outside and it started to hit us
    the strength of it adds up quickly too compared to a weaker 4% beer

Paulaner isn't that bad, but if the bottom of the glass warms up it's fairly rough to finish off, the 0% is decent enough too

Erdinger is about the only one I'd half enjoy, haven't tried most of the other ones

I liked Blue Moon the first time, but the novelty wore off quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

The 1 litre glasses are a bit deceptive, found ourselves drinking it like a normal pint and not pacing ourselves, got outside and it started to hit us
    the strength of it adds up quickly too compared to a weaker 4% beer

This.

There's a reason I call it loopy juice. I was all over the shop leaving there last year! The strength of it really knocks you on your ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Chad_Fantastics

Hmmmm, why wait to September, Bierhaus has one this weekend:
    http://tinyurl.com/d3b798u

Daytime pints for me this Saturday I think...

• Advertisement
Advertisement