Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New secondary school Maynooth

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Councillor

Both Deputy Stagg and myself fully supported Tom Ashe's efforts to have a junior and senior cycle school at Moyglare Hall and we so advised the Department. Unfortunately they turned down the proposal saying that there was no other such model in Ireland and the the maximum number of students permissible per school was 1,000. The 2,000 pupil school in Enniscorty has not worked according to the Department. Both Deputy Stagg and Deputy Durkan have made representations to the Minisiter on the views of parents and they have asked the Minister to meet the 10 reps from the Parents Associations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Councillor wrote: »
    Unfortunately they turned down the proposal saying that there was no other such model in Ireland
    Gerry Jeffers repeated that department response too - it's a null argument. It's never been done before is a pure civil service response. If the pen pushers in Washington had said that in 1969 man would never have landed on the moon.

The 2000 pupil school is a different model - it's a single school with 2000 pupils. What the parents are looking for here is two 1000 pupil schools - 1 to Junior Cert and 1 to Leaving Cert. There is no reason why that can't work and has been done in other countries successfully. Each school would have its own principal with an overall campus manager/governor/ whatever who presumably would be Johnny Nevin who does such a great job as it is.

While both Stagg and Durkan have made representations to the Minister, for Durkan this was in the form of tabling a written question to him and that's it. Stagg spoke directly with him but reluctantly by all accounts. He also told the chairs that only one of them could meet him - which they rejected. Neither of these counts as full support to my eyes.

10 reps confused me for a minute - I forgot about Rathcoffey :)

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Councillor

Orion, you are incorrect. Deputys Stagg and Durkan met the Minister on the matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Councillor wrote: »
    Orion, you are incorrect. Deputys Stagg and Durkan met the Minister on the matter.

Fair enough. I had wrong information then - I was told Durkan had tabled a question.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Orion wrote: »
    The 2000 pupil school is a different model - it's a single school with 2000 pupils. What the parents are looking for here is two 1000 pupil schools - 1 to Junior Cert and 1 to Leaving Cert. There is no reason why that can't work and has been done in other countries successfully. Each school would have its own principal

Similar has been done in Ireland too, albeit privately. The Institute of Education has completely separate 5th and 6th years. Different principles and different buildings.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

It is not really the same though,I went to the institute for 5th and 6th year and it is completely different to secondary school.

I think a 2000 pupil school sounds a bit crazy but a brilliant opportunity to prove what can be done.

Hopefully by the time we get that far,providing we manage to get a primary school place there will be a proper gael scoil.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Estman

I see the planning application for the school is in with Kildare County Council. You can see the details of the planning application at:

http://webgis.kildarecoco.ie/PlanningEnquiry/
    and search for file number 13828

The Application seems to suggest that there are currently no traffic issues in the Town and that the proposed school will have next to no traffic impact. Hard to believe that a school campus of 2,000 students won't cause traffic problems! The application also doesn't commit to providing any bus services (build it and they will come approach) and doesn't address any of the roads issues along Moyglare Road, i.e. no real improvements to footpaths or cycle facilities.

Advertisement