Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Olympic triple jumper sent home after making racist tweet

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭AnalogueKid

LordSmeg wrote: »
    Ya get heated and you pick the first thing to use as an insult. Big nose, fat arse. You dont think to yourself "Jesus I hate this guy cos he's black". You (by you I mean Terry) say fcuk off ya black bastard.

If he said Fcuk off you Irish cnut to an Irish player would the same thing have happened ? No way, this racial thing gets blown well out of proportion some times.

I disagree with your first point Smeg - you mean in the heat of the moment, they actually say something they really mean and aren't guarded by restraint? Sounds a bit like a sober version of In Vino Veritas.

I agree with your second point though. It depends on which ethnicity you insult. If Daley Thompson's anti-Irish gaffe had referred to jews or muslims ... he'd be in the dock like Terry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭AnalogueKid

Einhard wrote: »
    Y But I don't like the route we're going down whereby any reference to colour in a negative context is considered racist.

Surely you're winding us up at this stage Einhard? How is it possible for anyone negatively refer to the colour of someone's skin in a non-racist fashion.

That's like using the 'c' word and then claiming you don't curse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Are you serious? The England captain (who wears an armband with 'Respect' on it), decides to abuse the brother of his long-standing defensive partner in the England team and qualifies his abuse by preceding the word c£%$ with the colour of his skin. Don't you see ANY difference between using a word for an ethnicity, nationality or skin colour coupled with a strong term of abuse like the 'c' word, and just using the abusive term without referring to the ethnicity of the person being abused. That's the difference between abuse and racial abuse.

Are you 8 years old or something?

I'm not at all condoning Terry's remarks; what I am pointing out, and I would have thought it self-evident (even to 8 year olds!) that including the reference to his skin colour does not make it a racist comment. Racism is about hatrd and contempt...does calling someone a black baxtard express hatred or contempt for all the people of that person's race? I can't see how it does.

As an analogy, would me referencing someone as a "Cork cu*t" express a hatred for all Cork people? I've been called a "ginger ba*tard" before. Does that reveal a deep-seated hatred for all redheads? I really think not, and I think it's quite worrying that there are so many people willing, nay chomping at the bit, to read into statements what's not necessarily there.

When people curse, they quite often insert an advective or adverb of some kind to pad out the statement as it were. Hence, "fu*kin ba*tard", "ginger cun*t" etc. Often again, they will use model that descriptive word on a physical trait of the person they are abusing...they will preceded the abusive word with reference to weight, height, demeanour, hair colour, and yes, skin colour. It's quite a normal aspect of syntax. To claim then, that anyone who does so is somehow expressing a hatred in this manner is absurd, and is worthty of an 8 year old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Lollers

Latchy wrote: »
    Yes...yesterdays news I'm afraid OP .

I know, that's why I posted it yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Surely you're winding us up at this stage Einhard? How is it possible for anyone negatively refer to the colour of someone's skin in a non-racist fashion.

Of course it is. I've explained why in the above post. People pad out their sentences or expressions with adverbs or adjectives. It's why people say "you fu*king cun*t" when a simple "you cun*t" would suffice. It's a common syntactic arrangement. In other words, it's how people speak. When we are engaged in swearing or abusing someone, we grab the nearest available adjective or adverb, and that is usually physical...weight, height, gender etc. It needn't necessarily imply that we hate that particular aspect of the person. It's just how humans speak. In English at any rate. Thus, I might call someone from Paris a "French ba*tard", but that does not mean I hate French people. And it's the same with "black ba*tard" or "white cu*t" or whatever.

I'm against racism, and that's partly why I'm concerned about this. Becaus the more we have people throwing around the word, the less it's impact becomes, and the less vigilant we are about true racists. As the title of my post implied, it's like the boy who called wolf. Eventually nobody believed him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

i see this as a simple matter........this world has gone stark raving mad......

but of course, everybody know's that already......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

I disagree with your first point Smeg - you mean in the heat of the moment, they actually say something they really mean and aren't guarded by restraint? Sounds a bit like a sober version of In Vino Veritas.

I agree with your second point though. It depends on which ethnicity you insult. If Daley Thompson's anti-Irish gaffe had referred to jews or muslims ... he'd be in the dock like Terry.

I meant in the heat of the moment you just throw an insult, any old insult. I dont believe Terry meant to use a racial insult to really get at the guy he it was just another throw away insult. Replace black with stupid and I'd imagine the meaning behind it would be no different as far as Terry was concerned or me for that matter.

Just like our second point there, there are a lot of things that may be said and a lot of things that may be brushed off. I personally think Ferdinand (or whoever decided to make a big deal of it) was just being a dick blowing out of proportion. If someone called me an Irish bastard sure it'd piss me off but I wouldnt go public and bring the damn thing to court over a a throw away insult in a heated game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

kojack wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind her triple jumping onto me like in the second photo

I wouldnt need a hop and a skip to jump on her

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,036 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I wonder if her remark lost something in the translation from Greek, since while it was definitely politically-incorrect, I don't see flat-out racism in there. Is it racist to talk about Africans as coming from Africa? We all come from Africa, if you look back far enough in to the past.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

I'd give her one...

Twice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Pherekydes wrote: »
    It says the opposite!

To wit: She also re-tweeted a comment from Ilias Kasidiaris, a politician with Golden Dawn, criticising Prime Minister Antonis Samaras's stance on immigration.

Golden Dawn.. a nasty bunch. Fascists in all but name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

Sexy Racists rock my world ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Blondini wrote: »

Especially if about halfway through you roared out - "this is the best fun I've had since my barmitzvah"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Two things here.

Firstly, yes, she is a hot piece of stuff, we all would - everyone agreed?

Secondly, what she said could be construed as being offensive, but saying it was racist is a bit of a stretch.

Was it insensitive - probably.

Was it racist - fcuk no.

The world of today is fcuked up and way way way too sensitive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Blondini wrote: »

The best kind of racist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I really don't think he tweet was all that bad, massive overreaction sending her home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Lollers wrote: »
    I know, that's why I posted it yesterday.
    Time zones are not like they use to be ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

I bet whoever kicked her out of of the Olympics wouldn't kick her out of bed for eating crisps :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Keith186 wrote: »
    I bet whoever kicked her out of of the Olympics wouldn't kick her out of bed for eating crisps :pac:

I also bet thats the first question he asked. Has gorgeous athletic sexbomb over a barrel. Still doesn't get any. Forever alone.......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭MakeEmLaugh

Keith186 wrote: »

I wouldn't kick anyone out of bed for eating crisps. I love crisps!

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Roadtrippin

Glad to see that guys' views on racism are easily clouded by a hot piece of ass... :P

I get what some people here are saying about the world having become overly PC and sensitive in some ways but when it comes to racism I reckon it is better to be overly PC then the other way around.
    IMHO the message needs to be clear: racism isn't ok. And athletes are public figures, role models even, that need to watch what they're saying in public. Because otherwise there's plenty of idiots thinking to themselves "oh sure, Terry said 'black bastard' and he was acquitted so it's ok to say it"...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Glad to see that guys' views on racism are easily clouded by a hot piece of ass... :P

I get what some people here are saying about the world having become overly PC and sensitive in some ways but when it comes to racism I reckon it is better to be overly PC then the other way around.
    IMHO the message needs to be clear: racism isn't ok. And athletes are public figures, role models even, that need to watch what they're saying in public. Because otherwise there's plenty of idiots thinking to themselves "oh sure, Terry said 'black bastard' and he was acquitted so it's ok to say it"...

You typed the words "black bastard". You are repeating what John Terry said. He claims he was repeating what Anton Ferdinand said.

If John Terry is a racist, does that therefore make you a racist?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

BattleCorp wrote: »
    You typed the words "black bastard". You are repeating what John Terry said. .....?

I'm reasonably sure thats not what Terry said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

The link you gave spells her name 4 different ways in the same article.

f*cking idiots :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Dermighty wrote: »
    The link you gave spells her name 4 different ways in the same article.

f*cking idiots :P

To be fair they were probably distracted by the nice photos.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

To be fair they were probably distracted by the nice photos.

She's not bad, she looks very like a character from Spartacus: Blood & Sand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Strawberry Fields

Finally someone understands it's about the mosquitoes. :D
    My work here is done. :cool:

Advertisement