Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest way to get aerial video?

Options
  • 25-07-2012 6:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi folks,
    I'm a complete newbie to the RC scene but would have a keen interest in videography and am curious to know what is my cheapest option to get a GoPro 2 airbourne while still getting some decent smooth footage.

I have looked at length on Youtube at vids of rc's heli's mounted with the camera and despite the €1000 plus price tags alot of people still get that warping effect caused by vibrations.

I have also looked at the AR Drone 2.0 but even though its €360 price is tempting the method of mounting a gopro is a comprimise at best and the movements dont seem to be as fluid or low speed as a heli.

What are your thoughts and whats the best I can buy out there without going into massive money.

Budget is ideally sub €500 and I am open to buying second hand.

TIA ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭The Doktor

I think that the warping effect you are talking about is not mounting the camera correctly. One of the guys here has some footage that i dont thing had this effect using a trex 600, i think it might be robbie?

The thing about this is... you need to learn to fly, you need to learn about how helicopters work, how model helicopters work, about how to set one up, about swash plates and afrs and flybars and flybarless. If model helicopters really interest you, then its the way to go.

Even if you want to go with a quadcopter or a plane, theres still a lot to learn before you are going to get some decent video.

And with a budget of 500 quid.. sure I crashed my trex 700 and the repair bill was over that (good crash though)

I dont want to talk you out of it, but know what you are getting into before you throw money at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 On the up

The Doktor wrote: »
    I think that the warping effect you are talking about is not mounting the camera correctly. One of the guys here has some footage that i dont thing had this effect using a trex 600, i think it might be robbie?

The thing about this is... you need to learn to fly, you need to learn about how helicopters work, how model helicopters work, about how to set one up, about swash plates and afrs and flybars and flybarless. If model helicopters really interest you, then its the way to go.

Even if you want to go with a quadcopter or a plane, theres still a lot to learn before you are going to get some decent video.

And with a budget of 500 quid.. sure I crashed my trex 700 and the repair bill was over that (good crash though)

I dont want to talk you out of it, but know what you are getting into before you throw money at it.
    Cheers Dok,thats just the advice I'm after,I want to go into this with eyes wide open so I know the pitfalls and what can and most likely will go wrong.

Would a second hand cheapy heli for say 70 or 100 quid be where I should start,is it electric or fuel choppers I need to learn on...is there a difference???.

I dont want to have these choppers pulling off death defying stunts just nice controlled low level flight with a soft landing so I can stuff it in the back of a van and be on my way.

I accept smooth controlled flight comes with practice but surely my chances of trashing the thing will reduce as a result??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭The Doktor

On the up wrote: »

I dont want to have these choppers pulling off death defying stunts just nice controlled low level flight with a soft landing so I can stuff it in the back of a van and be on my way.

Thats what you think!! Once you go inverted you never go back!

get your self somthing like an e-flite blade 120 and see how you get on with it. Itll never carry a camera but at least you get to learn a little about helicopters and how to fly one.
    Look at sites like www.helifreak.com for more info

Im sure some of the other lads on here will give u a bit of advice too (i.e. dont just rely on me!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

The Doktor wrote: »

Yes the warping effect is caused by vibration of the camera alright. We used rubber straps on the 600 to isolate the camera mount from the t-rex 600 vibration, so the mount was attached to the heli skids by the rubber straps.

Advertisement