Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Import Duty Camper Van/ROI Licence Plates

Options
  • 25-07-2012 6:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭

Hi all:

Just looking a ball park figure to estimate total cost.

How much would the import duty/changing to ROI licence plates for a 1994 Fiat Express Diesel Camper Van. 2500cc with 61,000 miles on the clock.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Less is not more when it comes to registering a camper.

When I did it in 2006 the van was not liable for VRT if it was over 2 tonnes. If you take it to an approved weighbridge and it, with nobody in it, is over that weight then you are fine. So go for something big, a big Hymer with a diesel lump, a Winnebago or the like. Also, stick a few solar panels on the roof, make sure your gas bottle and water tank is full. The money you spend on a bigger camper will be saved by paying less VRT.

As regards the VRT, it is back of a fag packet calculation. Who knows how much they will charge you.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I'd imagine this is the place your looking for http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=884

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭I Need The Sun

Much obliged folks...many thanks..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

Hi all:

Just looking a ball park figure to estimate total cost.

How much would the import duty/changing to ROI licence plates for a 1994 Fiat Express Diesel Camper Van. 2500cc with 61,000 miles on the clock.

Thanks

VRT is calculated based on 13.3% of the OMSP, but they don't seem to have a system for calculating the OMSP of campers. Instead, it's generally based on the OMAP as seen on donedeal or similar.

Looking at donedeal a 1994 Fiat Ducato/Talbot looks to be going for around 5-6k. So you'd be looking at around €800 VRT.
    Less is not more when it comes to registering a camper.

When I did it in 2006 the van was not liable for VRT if it was over 2 tonnes. If you take it to an approved weighbridge and it, with nobody in it, is over that weight then you are fine. So go for something big, a big Hymer with a diesel lump, a Winnebago or the like. Also, stick a few solar panels on the roof, make sure your gas bottle and water tank is full. The money you spend on a bigger camper will be saved by paying less VRT.

As regards the VRT, it is back of a fag packet calculation. Who knows how much they will charge you.

The weight rule was 3 tonnes, and they got rid of that as of January this year. Weight of the vehicle no longer comes into it when calculating the VRT, all vehicles are now subject to VRT.

Advertisement