Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

places to eat in castlebar,mayo

Options
  • 25-07-2012 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

hi does anyone know of anywhere vegan to eat, will be up there for 2 nights in a few weeks,thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

i lived in castlebar for a year and i'm wracking my brains to think of anywhere in the town that might even have the capacity to cook vegan. what hotel are you staying in, have you contacted them to see if they could prepare vegan food while you're there? there's cafe rua, but that's a 'day' cafe rather than a restaurant. they have a nice food philosophy though and if you rang ahead they might prepare something for you?? they're lovely people and the food is local/fresh/well prepared. there's also an indian place called tulsi - or tusli? that gets good enough reviews but i'm not sure what indian foods might be considered vegan or be adapted to vegan... i'm not much help at all really am i?! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9 clarabellabee

I think Cafe Rua is the best cafe in Castlebar, the staff are really nice but also not sure about vegan options. One night a month they open at night as a restaurant. Castlebar doesn't have many options for eating out. If you have a car, Westport has loads of nice restaurants, again not sure about vegan options but maybe someone else know somewhere vegan to eat in Westport.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

there's also a 'gastro pub' a few streets away from cafe rua called bar one - they have vegetarian options of a lot of their meals - again though, not sure what could be adapted to vegan...

in westport on the main street opposite and up a bit from matt molloys pub there's a health food shop and cafe called harvest moon.. though i think they may only do take out. or sage, sol rio and an port mór are three good restaurants that might cater for you if you called ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭loueuro2

hey thanks for the suggestions, will look into them. were staying in a guesthouse called doogarry,im going to a wedding up there in breaffy house hotel will be ringing them nearer the time,its really fri eve for food,ill be going prepared i think:)

• Registered Users Posts: 38 immusic

I don't know if I'm too late with this reply but just to let you know the Harvest Moon shop/cafe in Westport has closed now. Also, there are no vegan places to eat in W'Port (unfortunately) but most places have at least a vegetarian option and would probably be happy enough to adapt them for you.
    I wouldn't really recommend Bar One as mentioned by artyeva because their veg option is nearly always a very cheese-y veg lasagne, although occasionally they have a veg curry but I'm not sure if it's vegan or not.

• Advertisement
Advertisement